Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
JSumeracki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Concord
Posts: 20
As a former computer programmer in multiple languages and a very proficient computer enthusiast and Internet search engine user, I understand your point and see now what happened.

I will say, however, this is absolutely absurd to simply list no results as opposed to a more common sense approach like "there are zillions of hits you idiot, add search criteria to narrow it down to less than 100 so my database does not melt..."

I will be sure to avoid single word ambiguous searches until such time as the search engine in this forum is made to be more intelligent. Remember this: Computers are only as smart as the people that program them!
__________________

JSumeracki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,058
I changed my bulbs out with 48 led flat panels from Ebay. About $29 for 15 replacement "bulbs". They are about 3 years old and working perfectly. They are labeled "warm" but are a bit whiter than the factory bulbs. But not so much that they are harsh.
__________________

__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSumeracki View Post
As a former computer programmer in multiple languages and a very proficient computer enthusiast and Internet search engine user, I understand your point and see now what happened.

I will say, however, this is absolutely absurd to simply list no results as opposed to a more common sense approach like "there are zillions of hits you idiot, add search criteria to narrow it down to less than 100 so my database does not melt..."

I will be sure to avoid single word ambiguous searches until such time as the search engine in this forum is made to be more intelligent. Remember this: Computers are only as smart as the people that program them!
You should have seen this when you searched for LED which explains why there were no hits

''The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : LED"
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You should have seen this when you searched for LED which explains why there were no hits

''The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : LED"
Google doesn't do that. Nor any of the other forums I deal with.

If the search result is an overwhelming boatload, then give me the first 100 or so hits and message that the hit count is excessive.

Eliminating short or common words from the search is foolish. Let us as reasonable thinking humans decide that we entered too simple a search. Then we'll enter more or see what the top bunch has to offer.

Those top few will have the clues to a more complex search.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
Site Team
 
Snake Plissken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DeWitt, MI
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Google doesn't do that. Nor any of the other forums I deal with.

If the search result is an overwhelming boatload, then give me the first 100 or so hits and message that the hit count is excessive.

Eliminating short or common words from the search is foolish. Let us as reasonable thinking humans decide that we entered too simple a search. Then we'll enter more or see what the top bunch has to offer.

Those top few will have the clues to a more complex search.
LED is too short. If I remember correctly you need more than 3 letters to search on vBulletin forums.
__________________
MODERATOR

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,058
Google has a large staff of full time programmers that custom built a search engine. jaycoowners.com is off the shelf forum software with a limited search engine. It's not a data mining tool. Still, I agree it could be a bit better. I don't find any of the forums I'm on have all that great of search capabilities.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
I guess an SQL-like front end would be a bit much for the average internet user?
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I guess an SQL-like front end would be a bit much for the average internet user?
Ha! So long as you will take on the task of explaining a booleen search to everyone!
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,046
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...95:_douuy_o5dq

This link will direct you to a google search of this forum. It may be better than the standard forum search engine.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
nwminnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Blaine
Posts: 285
M4products I say no more they speak for them selves. Did my whole trailer.
__________________

__________________
2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2018 5th wheel on its way
2011 x23b (sold)
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.