Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

Upgrading TV Antenna

Looking to upgraded / improve OTA HD TV reception. Just wondering what others have done and found to be the best upgrade option? I was thinking of going with the King Jack. Any thoughts / advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Hey Dave, Long time. Hope you've been well. I grabbed a KING Digital HDTV Antenna Replacement Head at CW a few months back. I havent installed yet, but I figured for short $$, its worth a shot. I had some coupons, so it only cost me 13.00 at the end of the day.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

I can't find the link, but over on RV.net, they did a pretty in depth analyst of several and found the Wingaurd batwing with the ;yagi add on or their SensorIV head to be the best.

I have the SensorIV head on mine, and it gets channels I could not get with the plain batwing or an omnidirectional on our old TT. Pointing it is critical as it is a directional antenna.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Hey Dave, Long time. Hope you've been well. I grabbed a KING Digital HDTV Antenna Replacement Head at CW a few months back. I havent installed yet, but I figured for short $$, its worth a shot. I had some coupons, so it only cost me 13.00 at the end of the day.
Scott, we are doing well. Looking forward to camping season to start soon. Wife is losing her job at the end of this month, but we're hopeful she'll fine another one soon! Company moved her position to Oregon but we can't move, so 3/31 is her last day. She's ready to sell the house and Live in the camper
I was thinking of getting the King Jack replacement system so I don't have to worry about if the antenna is up or down. Just not sure if the cost of that one is really worth it. Don't use the TV much, only when we have the grandkids along. Most sites have cable now-a-days, so not sure the replacement cost is worth the effort.
My rig is getting some warranty work done on it now. Propane water heater switch burned-out, USB charger in the kitchen broken, bathroom vent cover cracked, so looking to get it replaced under warranty.

Dave...

Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

Dave, my HW heater died too. Couldnt use propane at all. Flame would not start, and if it did, would not keep water temp hot, because it wouldnt kick on. I tried to get my vent in bathroom covered under warranty, but got shot down. "No problems found", so I just went with the maxxair 7500. Havent installed it yet. Spring has to get here soon.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Dave, my HW heater died too. Couldnt use propane at all. Flame would not start, and if it did, would not keep water temp hot, because it wouldnt kick on. I tried to get my vent in bathroom covered under warranty, but got shot down. "No problems found", so I just went with the maxxair 7500. Havent installed it yet. Spring has to get here soon.
My water heater didn't die, just the light switch wouldn't illuminate anymore on the propane one. The heater still works fine. I'm waiting to here about a replacement bathroom fan I'll let you know when I find out.

Dave...
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #7

I replaced just the head with the King and saw an improvement in channel reception.

I found later that you could replace the entire antenna with an "all in one" King Jack that replaced the original mast as well. I wish I had done that, but I didn't know it was available. It is shorter, and so I imagine you would suffer some signal loss.

I don't care much about the signal, but the shorter, one piece replacement mast will not leak like the OEM ones are prone to do. That would be my only real reason for going with a complete replacement. It also includes a signal meter, which would be somewhat handy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #8

I tried the Jack antenna about 3 1/2 years ago. I ended up going back to the Winegard antenna with the SensarPro amp/booster and Wingman UHF reception booster.

I did about as much of a comprehensive performance comparison as I could do in the driveway. Long story short, I sent the Jack back.

Here is my post from about 3 1/2 years ago where I compared the two:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post148892

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
I tried the Jack antenna about 3 1/2 years ago. I ended up going back to the Winegard antenna with the SensarPro amp/booster and Wingman UHF reception booster.

I did about as much of a comprehensive performance comparison as I could do in the driveway. Long story short, I sent the Jack back.

Here is my post from about 3 1/2 years ago where I compared the two:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post148892
Thank-you, this is the kind of real-world info I was looking for. Since we don't really use the TV much, I'll just add the Wingman on my current antenna.

Dave...

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

Here is in-depth comparison on rv.net:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Batwing vs.BatMan vs. Jack: The Results.. finally (LONG)
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #11

These comparisons are good. I went from the original Winegard batwing to the King Jack replacement head. I got better reception. Last October we camped during a multi-day hard rain and our antenna was up and it leaked onto our bed. We cranked it down and the leak stopped. My plan now is to replace the crank up OEM with the total Jack replacement because we can't watch TV at all in the rain which is when we want it the most.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

I have played with both the BATWING and the King Jack in the field mounted on my same ez-up pole I use with my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer...

Roy's image

I get pretty much the same results but with the Kings JACK antenna I have to be really absolute pointing it at the local towns with HDTV towers.

The BATWING has a wider beam width reception...

Of course i have also tried one of those 8 - bow tie type antenna panels and it out performs the Jack and Batwing but would not last long being put and down everyday in the off-road enviroment...

Google image

This one has the ability to angle each panel pointing at two different location which spreads out the beam width really good and still has great gain. I have this one installed at my house picking up the Washington DC HDTV stations. I am able to get all of the Washington DC station at the same pointing position where they are operating from both sides of the town some 50-60 miles away... Antenna panel is up on the roof peak maybe 18-20 feet up on the north side of the house.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

I found this terrific video on maintaining the Winegard assembly.
My plan now is to return to the batwing and upgrade with the wingman addition after performing complete maintenance on the crank assembly.