Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Use a cover or not?

I dont have a shelter to put the new 5th wheel under so i am thinking about buying a cover. Will the cover harm the unit in anyway?

Which brand or type is best?

How easy or difficult are they to install?

Thanks
Nlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I am anti-cover or tarp. First off all if you are in a windy area wind will dry your unit fast. Lift up the front end and drain on the back. Sure a cover will protect a unit from the elements during the stalled season. If you can afford and have the space to built a cover it makes sense. Otherwise the sales hype will get you to buy one. As long as the dealers not covering up I do neither.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

We cover ours in the off-season, mainly to protect it from the sun, esp. the roof. It's very dry here and rarely very windy so I'm not concerned about that. YMMV, of course. We have an Adco cover we bought off Amazon. My only complaint is that despite carefully measuring the trailer and ordering the size that Adco recommended on their web site it's too big...about three feet too long so I have to bunch it up in the rear. I'd prefer a built shelter but a cover works for us. Be aware, tho, that with a cover on you can't open the slide(s) or run the fridge (the cover blocks the roof vent).
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #4

No pressure from the sales folks....i am just asking. I have never covered my TT but i have never spent this much for a 5th wheel & just would like to protect it. Thanks
Nlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlagman View Post
never spent this much for a 5th wheel & just would like to protect it. Thanks
I was thinking of a cover for my trailer. Like you I didnt like the idea of my new investment sitting out in a snow bank. I got "talked" out of it by folks here and decided to build a shelter. Unless you are in Jamaica, you arent far from me. And we are supposed to be getting a decent bit of snow tonight. I was looking at these covers http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.co...er-covers.html Edit: just saw no "G" in your location. I thought you might be in Kingston ny. And heres a link to the pole barn thread for what I wound up doing. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23902
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

The sun is your biggest enemy!! It may be the rain that causes the damage you see but the sun set you up for it. A high quality cover that was designed for your 5th wheel is definitely better then no cover. Do NOT use a tarp, they can't breath and will cause moisture issues.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Team

I do use a cover but maybe this poll will help with your decision.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-RV-Cover-Poll

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

We covered our last RV. Where we live, there is a pretty consistent afternoon breeze - 5-10 kts. The cover definitely does some harm, and causes the areas that it is pulled tight against to develop some chaffing. But, in the end, I believe it helped more that hurt. After seven years in a pretty hot/dry environment, the roof still looked pretty new. We keep our current unit in a covered storage facility. It's not enclosed, but it keeps the direct sun off of it. Oddly, I noticed over the weekend that the white plastic battens that cover the seems on the ceiling are yellowing. How does that happen? The motorhome is covered. The night shades are all drawn, and yet these pieces are yellowing. Hard to believe any UV light is hitting them.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

To Cover or Not to Cover????

This topic will be around as long as there are RV's. (I own a Jayco Pinnacle.) COVER YOUR RIG UP!! My opinion comes from someone who lives in the Northeast. When all the snow lies on the roof and then starts to melt, several inches of heavy slush lays on the roof. All it would take is a very small area to leak and destroy most any part of the unit. The ultimate concern is usually having to spend money, sometimes as much as $500+ for the cover, for largest size/quality, etc. Why would anyone balk at spending a little bit more to protect an investment that costs thousands more than that, and that you will enjoy for many years?

Let me put it another way. If a free cover came with your trailer you'd cover it, correct? Well there's your answer! Another explanation or defense you hear all the time is that "..the dealers don't cover theirs." The reason for that is simple. It would be cost prohibitive to cover all of their inventory. Also, they are dealing with brand new vehicles and will have them sold by the time they have any issues with them. Used vehicles they cross their fingers and try to sell them as quickly as possible. Again, they don't "own" them.

Lastly, don't cover it with a blue tarp from Home Depot! You will look like (forgive me) "trailer trash" and it will tear! Most all of the designed covers are extremely light weight with a reinforced roof and breathable sides. Take care of your unit and it will in turn take care of you and your family.
Texas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

We don't cover and haven't for the 4 years we have had the trailer, in Canada. Knock on wood no problems, I believe Jayco makes a good product and there should be no need to cover it. A flat cover won't help with snow load anyway and imho could reduce the amount of run off on a warm day and increase ice build up as a result.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

Tex,are you saying a cover keeps water off the roof
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #12

Yes it keeps your roof completely dry. Air circulates from the sides. It's an Adco cover. I am a big proponent of covering. Protect your investment!
Texas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

OK I will look into it but thought I'd take it for a spin once a month or exercise the generator.
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

Haven't covered any of our units, starting with our first TT in 1977 all the way up to the SENECA that we just traded in and have never had any issues. Had a friend who said it was one of the worst investments he ever made for his MH.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #15

I covered mine with an adco cover and it's the first winter I've had it. $250 seemed like a good investment to keep the ice and snow off the roofing. Living in the northeast I've seen what snow and ice can do to my home roof and have had a few ice dams cause damage to my interior ceilings. I wish adco made a cover for my cape!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #16

My previous trailer (HiLo) showed evidence of prior roof leaks so I purchased a cover for it. Cheap insurance that did work, even if only while parked/covered.

If I can get thru these current xmas expenses and next months teeth capping I'll look into a pole barn for a more permanent cover.

Unless I spend it on a new TV.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #17

Hello to other fifth wheel owners. We love our 2008 Designer but we have decided to leave it on our Arizona lot ( south of Phoenix in at our RV park) for the spring/fall until we return in January. Of course it will be extremely hot and dry. I understand that there is heavy rain in the summer as well as wind and dust. We have taken it home ( 2000 miles plus ferry ride to Vancouver Island in Canada) the past few years but this year we would like to leave it on our lot with a cover on it. I know there is lots of controversy and mixed opinions about covering a fifth wheel. It is the heat and dust and wind that worry me.
I haven't seen any opinions from anyone who leaves their RV in such a hot climate for April through to January. I would love to hear from those people who leave their RVs in Arizona for that hot time frame. Do you cover or just leave it bare to the elements?
Also, my husband has had some advice to leave our air conditioner "on" set at 90 degrees so it will kick in at temperatures above 90 degrees which is frequent, of course.
Opinions, please, if you have dealt with leaving your much loved RV for the hot time of year in a desert climate? Thanks!!!!! Pam and John
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #18

We bought a nice high dollar cover to protect our new 5er that has gotten destroyed this winter. We never had a problem with our old cover on our last camper but for some reason this one did not hold up.with the new 5er it has longer rain gutter ends that has poked holes on all four corners up high, I did install the booties on the gutters but it didn't help, our old cover was a heavy canvas type fabric as the new one is the new breathable fabric and I am not sold on it.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #19

Just traded in our 2004 Forest River. It spent it's entire life in Phoenix without a cover. No problems except the decals faded and curled after about 5 years. Just go through it and make certain that there is no food or other item that could spoil in the heat and leave the fridge open and off.
2220pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #20

I don't use one, honestly because every time I go into the storage lot, I see torn, ripped and flapping in the wind, covers. I can see dropping $200-$400 a year on a new cover..... But that's just me

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote