Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

Used Jayco?

My wife and I are looking to purchase a used 5er and we are looking at a size range of 28' - 31' so we can fit into tighter camp ground spots and overall ease of towing. We have a 2017 F350 Super Duty Crew cab with long box and are looking at the various option for hitches. We have had one pull trailer and two motor homes and now that I am looking at retiring in about 7 months we want to hit the road and do a lot of week plus trips at first. We have done a lot of research for floor plans and there are several Jayco units that would fit our needs. My reason for posting this is that I hope I can get some straight answer from Jayco owners on how they feel about their 5ers.
How long have you owned one and how many have you owned. Would you recommend a Jayco to a family member? Have you had any issues and were you treated fairly by Jayco or the place you purchased?

We want at least a bedroom slide and a living area slide. We want room for two comfortable chairs and the unit must have large capacity tanks.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CraigAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

Have you looked at Jayco 27.5 RLTS. I have a 2016 and I love it. I have the Reese Revolution Pin Box with a Huskey hitch. My wife and I love it. We can go anywhere. I tow it with 2018 Silverado HD3500 which I more then we need, but you only live once. Tank capacity's I can live with. Two grays one black and one fresh water. I would recommend Jayco to anyone looking for a 2016 model or earlier. Jayco was bought out around the beginning of 2017 but the original family still running the manufacturing. So where you buy it is the most important especially if your buying new. You want a dealer that has a Great reputation for repairs and service. Good luck and don't pay manufacturer list pricing. At least 35% off manufacturers list price if your buying new. December is your best month for purchasing new. No exactly what you want , get quotes from on-line RV dealers first before you go to you dealer. Don't bring your wife cause once the sales guy knows your wife likes or loves it your done. They won't discount that much if at all.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

I’ll add my welcome to the JOF! Our 5th is a ‘13 and we bought it new (last year’s model). It’s 39’ and my last Scale showed 12700# GVW with 3000# on the pin. We tow with a ‘13 F350 diesel. We started out with an HTT which we used for 2 years when we upgraded to the 5th. I retired in Oct of ‘16 and we love our time on the road, the longest was last year when we spent 6 weeks and 6500 miles on the road. We have 3 slides which gives us a great deal of living area.
Our hitch is a B&W which uses the factory under-bed puck mounts.

We’ve had a few problems which have largely been minor, one major issue tho was a roof leak. I got our dealer to replace some damaged countertops under warranty which was a surprise but it took quite a bit of time.
Anything else that’s come up I deal with myself.
I would probably buy Jayco again but probably look at other manufacturers. The Jayco quality seems to have slipped a bit over the last couple of years.
Since you are looking at pre-owned hopefully the PO will have cared for the unit and not just used it.
Good luck! And enjoy your retirement!
I thought I’d miss what I did for so many years..... Nope, not a bit. ��

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

We have a new 28.5 RSTS Eagle HT and my neighbor has a 2015. His is virtually the same as ours. Both of us have owned ours for about a year. We find them to have a lot of room for the two of us and occasional grandkids. We have 3 slides, one for the bedroom, one for the theatre seating and dinettes and one for the kitchen/entertainment. We have 2 grey tanks, one black tank and a fresh water tank. Each grey and black tank hold 30 gallons each. I believe the fresh water tank is 42 gallons. Neither one of us have had anything but a few minor issues. I would recommend Jayco brand to any of my family members. I have only dealt with Jayco on one occasion. I submitted a receipt for a service tech to come out and repair a minor leak under the kitchen sink. I was reimbursed within a week. My local Jayco dealer is great to work with. He’s been in business for 39 years. Extremely knowledgeable and gets you in and out quickly. I pull our FW with a F250 gasser with no problem and the neighbor pulls his with a Ram 2500 diesel.

We owned a Jayco TT before this and have been very pleased with our experiences so far.

The dealer you choose could be the difference between a good experience or a bad experience.

I hope this helps some. Good luck in your choices. Happy camping!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #6

Thank so much for your comments. I am looking forward to not punching in every day. Not really punching in as i am on salary and set my own hours, but you know what i mean.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAs View Post
Thank so much for your comments. I am looking forward to not punching in every day. Not really punching in as i am on salary and set my own hours, but you know what i mean.
Welcome to JOF. Now you can set your hours to:

Monday-Friday - OFF
Sat, Sunday - OFF

Soon you will be wondering how you ever had time to work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Soon you will be wondering how you ever had time to work.
True, I have a volunteer gig that takes at least 2 Days each week and another that takes a couple of hours each week.

Course there is that problem when I visit my Dr. He asks if I know what day it is, “sure, it’s Saturday”.
Ok...... what was yesterday? “Saturday”.
Ummm, how about tomorrow.

Anyway, you get the picture.

I did a brief contract gig last year, why not, it’s “free money”, right? After a couple of months it hit me that it was just like what I did for the last 40 or so years, a job. I think I’m over it now.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

The 'good' part by buying used is that someone else fixed all the problems from the factory

Yes, I'd recommend a Jayco to someone else.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

PS is this your first RV? If so then learn what to look for on a used unit. Leaks from body damage or bad seals and frame issues are the big ones.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #11

I am not an expert but I do have an input that may be useful ...

if operating in a hot environment (like lower Bama) then at least one of you (my bride) will demand a second AC unit. And in my case ... not all RV mattresses are a good fit.

Neither my bride nor myself were ever comfortable sleeping on our prior Jayco RV Queen sized mattress. Never means many sleepless nights tossing and turning. It also means we will never do so again.

Shopping for our recent 5th meant neither of these two items would be excused, regardless of other features or price (been there, done that).
Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #12

Thanks. This will be our third RV. We had a TT, then a class C, then a 30" class A and have been without anything for about 6 years. This will be our first 5'er.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #13

Would recommend Jayco except the mattresses leave a lot to be desired. Replaced ours after one camping trip. We love our 27.5rkds.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote