Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2015, 04:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
As a follow up question to my one on pulling an Eagle Premier, does anyone use a Tundra to pull a lighter weight 5th wheel?

If so, pros and cons of it. As well as which model/year you pull.

We're in the thinking and research stage.

Thanks
Go ahead and install a hitch in the back of the tundra, then buy a dodge 3/4 ton diesel and load the tundra in the back of the dodge then hook up the fifth wheel and the tundra will pull it just fine.. Hope this helps.. Cheers...

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
The Tundra pulls the load quite well so power won't be the issue. The Tundra has 3/4 ton sized drivetrain so stopping won't be the issue either. I have a double cab 6.5' bed 4x4 and my cargo capacity is around 1,400#.
god i hate these comments, if it was a 3/4 ton they would have more then 1500 lbs payload, and they would advertise it as a 3/4 ton not a half ton,

and dont get me started on the frame

as someone who has towed a 5th with a half ton, just go buy a 2500 or 3500 gaser, it will tow better for not that much more, or if you really plan on towing alot go get a diesel, if you tow the same trailer with the same truck one gas one diesel there is absolutely no comparison i have been lucky enough to have done that and since then it was diesel or nothing, i just towed my 27.5 BHS HT 2500 kms each direction to florida and it was a nice relaxing and mostly comfortable drive (roads in michigan and northern ohio were just garbage)
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey965 View Post
god i hate these comments, if it was a 3/4 ton they would have more then 1500 lbs payload, and they would advertise it as a 3/4 ton not a half ton,

and dont get me started on the frame

as someone who has towed a 5th with a half ton, just go buy a 2500 or 3500 gaser, it will tow better for not that much more, or if you really plan on towing alot go get a diesel, if you tow the same trailer with the same truck one gas one diesel there is absolutely no comparison i have been lucky enough to have done that and since then it was diesel or nothing, i just towed my 27.5 BHS HT 2500 kms each direction to florida and it was a nice relaxing and mostly comfortable drive (roads in michigan and northern ohio were just garbage)
I never said it was a 3/4 ton. You mis-read my comment. I did say cargo capacity is the limiting factor. The OP asked directly about a Tundra...not about a 1 ton diesel. You are one of those guys who think a 1 ton diesel is the only truck that can tow any trailer. Tell your wife I said sorry...

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #24

In fairness there are many people who disregard cargo/axle capacities and simply believe that because their truck can yank it down the highway then they're good to go.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #25

I agree 100%. My 2003 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 definitely handled the 26BH better but the Tundra pulls it much easier and with the Propride hitch, handles it much better now. Plus I get 12% better towing fuel economy and 30% better empty.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #26

your post says "the tundra has 3/4 ton sized drivetrain"

it does not, if it did the numbers would be higher and no i dont believe diesel is the best, personally i think its all about the situation, i said if you plan on towing alot it is something worth having, if your towing a small trailer or do it only every so often you dont need on, im also the same person that towed my 5th with a f150 on 34's with 3.55 gears which is by far not the best combination for pulling it, but as far as im concerned the toyota should be fine if you already have one, if you are going to buy a new truck to pull a new trailer, spend a little more and get something bigger then a half ton because like you said the payload is the limiting factor

now the reason i bought the diesel is partly because i want to double tow my boat and i couldnt do that with my old truck and i plan on using it for some commercial RV hauling

you just make the assumption that because i own a diesel thats the only way to tow, not at all, it is the best way to tow cause that is what it is ment for, im all about saving money on buying a new truck when you dont have too, as long as you fell that what you already have is going to do the job, im not of the mind that you need to stick exactly to what the yellow sticker says
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #27

First off, I LOVE my Tundra. In 2010 when I bought it, I believe it had the best powertrain available. It is still a great truck and meets my needs.

However, it is a HALF TON TRUCK. It has a strong engine, transmission and rear end that could probably serve itself well in a 3/4 ton truck, but the brakes aren't as stout as a true 8800GVW and up truck. The suspension isn't as stout. The weight of the truck isn't as high.

You need bigger brakes, harder suspension and a heavier truck if you want to tow heavier trailers. There is no way around it.

The Tundra does an excellent job with trailers that fall within its weight range. I've towed a heavy tractor on a flatbed trailer with no problems. I've towed my current camper with no problems. Keep your numbers right and its a great tow vehicle. Go over your numbers and you are on your own. Sure, its got a ton of power... but you usually need braking power when things go bad. The Tundra doesn't have brakes as strong as a 3/4 ton or heavier truck.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #28

Thanks everyone for your answers on if I would be able to use a Tundra to pull a smaller, lightweight 5th wheel. As I stated before, hubby and I are still in the research stage. We won't be purchasing for a while, but all comments have been helpful.

I strongly suspect we will not purchase a Tundra, regardless of how much we love our Toyotas (2000 Tacoma and 2010 FJ Cruiser). Reason being that even if we purchased a smaller/lighter 5th wheel now, I strongly suspect we'll be upscaling at some point. Far sooner than the truck, so it'll be smart to get a bigger truck to start with.

And I won't even ask or start a discussion as to which company we should get a truck from as every brand has their fans and we don't need to start any fights, do we?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #29

Sounds like an intelligent decision. All 3 make a very good gas engine 3/4 or 1 ton. All 3 make a very good diesel engine if you buy new or up to 4 years old. I like Fords, but I would likely avoid the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel engine if buying used. You can't go wrong with anything else though. Pick whatever you like best and enjoy your camping experience!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
First off, I LOVE my Tundra. In 2010 when I bought it, I believe it had the best powertrain available. It is still a great truck and meets my needs.

However, it is a HALF TON TRUCK. It has a strong engine, transmission and rear end that could probably serve itself well in a 3/4 ton truck,
Got an idea, maybe we can clear up this Tundra classification issue and call it a 5/8 ton! Ok, that was silly. Great trucks, though.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #31

Lots of posts not answering your question. I do not own a tundra or a 5ver. But I have seen many on the road, and in the cg. So it is doable, just watch your weight, like you should with any setup.

You can call Toyota directly (not the dealership) with your Vin number and discuss it with them. When I bought my htt, I did this and found it very helpful and interesting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote