Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Using a Toyota Tundra

As a follow up question to my one on pulling an Eagle Premier, does anyone use a Tundra to pull a lighter weight 5th wheel?

If so, pros and cons of it. As well as which model/year you pull.

We're in the thinking and research stage.

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

I just got back from New Zealand and it's amazing what they use to Tow trailers, saw 5th wheels being towed by Ford Rangers.
Depends on your truck specks and the trailers. I go with the trailer gross weight not the dry weight. Even if you can pull it, should you. I think you cant have too much truck, you may want a larger trailer in the future. My truck pulls my trailer great no issues. I haven't felt the need for a dual rear tires.
I would spend a day or two with the wife and go to truck dealers and compare brands, models, options and the dealers service. The new diesels are quieter, more power full and won't smoke. If your Toy is paid off, keep it for a daily driver. Have fun, don't be in a hurry.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Had One!

I presently have a 2010 Double Cab Shortbox 4X4 Toyota Tundra that I was planning to use to pull the Eagle HT 29.5BHDS 5th wheel. On researching more after purchase I discovered that I would likely end up being over weight by about 700 lbs over my payload capacity not counting the 4 passengers in the vehicle. I have since ordered a 2015 F350 SRW 4X4 5.7L Powerstroke to keep me legal and to allow for any future upgrades of trailers. From reading many threads from multiple forms it seem that a lot of people do tow these trailers with Tundras with airbags added to rear suspension with no problem. In my case I guess I don't want to risk ruining my vacation after being scaled and forced to leave my trailer behind or to have to deal with what would happen if I was in an accident while being over weight with my rig!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

FYI, I think its the 6.7 diesel. Your Tundra was a 5.7
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

5er on semi-floating axles just seems like a bad idea.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

Nobody will put you on a scale that only applies to commercial.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yes scales do usually apply only to commercial but.....I'm in On. Canada and our MTO do blitzes where they target different vehicles and that includes pickups with trailers and a person I work with who traveled through NH last summer had to go across the scales with a pick up pulling a tent trailer! Also that doesn't even mention what would happen if you got into an accident and hurt someone! Your insurance likely wouldn't cover it and you would be out of pocket for your vehicle, not to mention the lawsuit!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnaha.Mansion View Post
I would spend a day or two with the wife and go to truck dealers and compare brands, models, options and the dealers service. The new diesels are quieter, more power full and won't smoke. If your Toy is paid off, keep it for a daily driver. Have fun, don't be in a hurry.
I'm the wife! The hubby is the smart one and says whatever works for me works for him! He's far less picky than I am. He also knows that if I'm not happy, he's not happy.

Yeah, I'm taking my time to do lots of research and all that ahead of deciding what to get and what to tow it with. Joining this forum is part of that research. Lots of great info on this forum, to put it mildly.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #9

Do you already own the Tundra and/or FW trailer? The limiting factor on the Tundra is the cargo capacity which will be eaten by the pin weight of the FW. I run about 1,000# over weight with my Tundra pulling a 26BH. I load heavy though but am still well under the GCW. The Tundra pulls the load quite well so power won't be the issue. The Tundra has 3/4 ton sized drivetrain so stopping won't be the issue either. I have a double cab 6.5' bed 4x4 and my cargo capacity is around 1,400#.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's true here in some parts of Canada, the police will do a blitz and randomly check vehicles of all types for weight, often with a portable scale. Gives new meaning to the term "weight police".
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

More to the point of the original question,
If you don't yet have a Tundra, get one with 2WD instead of 4WD. This will shed about 400 lbs from the Tundra's weight, and give you that much more load capacity. I have 4WD and pretty much never use it. Also, look for a 5er which has a lighter pin weight spec. It seems Jayco generally has heavier pin weights than other brands - just my observation.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

I tow a 2012 23.5 eagle ht with my 08 tundra, pulls it very easily. Off the top of my head the hitch weight is around 1100 or so lbs. The 26.5's would tow fine but the extra hitch weight is why I went with the 23.5, also depends to on how far you plan on towing.

Contrary to what the poster above says don't get a 2 wheel drive you'll regret it for a multitude of reasons.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
I tow a 2012 23.5 eagle ht with my 08 tundra, pulls it very easily. Off the top of my head the hitch weight is around 1100 or so lbs. The 26.5's would tow fine but the extra hitch weight is why I went with the 23.5, also depends to on how far you plan on towing.

Contrary to what the poster above says don't get a 2 wheel drive you'll regret it for a multitude of reasons.
Note: the 4WD Tundra does not have much load carrying capacity. If the OP wants 4WD, might be better to consider not getting a Tundra. Even Jayco's website says they only recommend 2WD for the Tundra with the Eagle HT series 5ers. Having said that, as a minimum you will need to pay close attention to pin weight to stay within the GVWR, GAWR and GCWR numbers. It appears you are aware of that by choosing a smaller HT 5er, and good for you.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

I have a 2WD Tundra and haven't regretted it yet, but I can work from home if the weather is bad... Payload is 1595, just over 400 more that the 4WD. As with most trucks, the trim package and cab configuration also ties into your payload capacity.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #15

I pull a 39 foot Jayco Eagle with a 2014 F-250 6.2L 2wd and have no complaints. The towing packages on the new F series Fords are undeniable the best handling I ever used to tow with. Did not see where I needed diesel or 4wd and proud I went with this truck.
nube4168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
As a follow up question to my one on pulling an Eagle Premier, does anyone use a Tundra to pull a lighter weight 5th wheel?

If so, pros and cons of it. As well as which model/year you pull.

We're in the thinking and research stage.

Thanks
Just re-posting this in case the OP was forgotten

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #17

Yep, I'm still trying to figure out what I want. (See my new signature, which references that!) Every day I'm reading this forum, looking at floor plans, checking inventory at various dealers, exploring google and youtube. And visiting the local dealer from time to time.

Once I narrow it down a bit more I plan to print out the specs on the rigs I'm most interested in and then start going into various auto dealerships to see what all they have that would work. As well as finding out how much weight/volume I can put in the bed of the truck while it's hitched up, in case I need to wad stuff back there (most likely I will when traveling to craft bazaars).

I know the prices they fling at me won't be rock bottom, but they'll give me a (high end) rough idea of the overall cost.

BUT, in the meanwhile I have a one month trip in a rental Redhawk coming up in April that I need to start planning for, so upcoming questions will probably relate to the route I'm thinking of taking.

All answers on all of my questions have been quite helpful, so thanks everyone! Appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #18

In my mind what you can tow with a particular vehicle is all about the cargo capacity of the TV. The yellow sticker will tell you the Front and Rear GAWR but not what the axles actually weigh. Only a trip to the scale will tell you that. Once you know what the axles weigh you know how much additional weight you can add. I believe the rear axle to be the most critical.
Good luck and have fun on your rental trip!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
It's true here in some parts of Canada, the police will do a blitz and randomly check vehicles of all types for weight, often with a portable scale. Gives new meaning to the term "weight police".
I've never heard of it, but now that you mention it I'm sure I'll get selected.

When I do see trailers pulled over it's usually the Commercial ones I see, don't recall seeing any TT pulled over.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I've never heard of it, but now that you mention it I'm sure I'll get selected.

When I do see trailers pulled over it's usually the Commercial ones I see, don't recall seeing any TT pulled over.
A couple years ago, I saw a TV news report of a "blitz" that was done that day. Yes their focus was on contractors pulling utility type trailers, and I know one who was weighed and failed. Have also heard of RV's being weighed. Around here they only seem to do these blitzes once in a while, and I have never driven by one being done. I think the odds of being pulled over is really quite small, but not zero.