Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2021, 10:50 PM   #1

Using gen prep as shore plug in.

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the 5th wheel trailers,
So my 017 North Point has a generator prep in front with all the wires plumbed (yet never had a gen installed), and I'd like to ask you experienced campers what would be wrong with wiring in a front auxiliary plugin for my portable generator? (Onan 4500 120v). And for that matter even shore power? If I understand it right the manual says I have a transfer switch that dictates which end the power is coming from and cancels power to the opposite plugin. Plus if the power source is more convenient at the front of the trailer a shorter cord could be used.
Am I over looking some important factor here?
Redneck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:14 AM   #2
CwD

I did that and used it while camping earlier this month. Worked great. Last year we camped at a park with the power post at the front of the 5r. It was a PIA to get the rig lined up to plug / cord and miss trees with the slides and get the door in the right spot with steps in a retaining wall. Light bulb came on then.

So I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I bought a cover plate with the largest hole I could find at a local hardware store to fit the J box for the gen prep. Had to Dremel the hole a little bigger to fit the plug.

CwD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:49 AM   #3

Using generator prep wiring

Should work fine with the proper connector as CWD did.

I wired my 2400 watt inverter directly to the red lead (L1) in the generator prep wires. Turn the inverter on and the transfer switch connects after it's delay. Operates similar to being on 30A, but only 20A. Runs most of the outlets. High draw breakers, A/C, elect water heater, and power converter are flipped off.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:02 AM   #4

Our 2011 didn't have gen prewire so I added a transfer switch with surge protection & added a 50amp plug up front.
I've used the front plug for shorepower at several camp grounds due to pedestal location. I really did this for traveling with our dogs so if stopped for awhile traveling could run AC for the pooches
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote