Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

Vent partially blocked behind fridge

I own a 2017 321rsts. The Norcold side by side fridge works well but the freezer leaves something to be desired if it is opened often, as to get ice. Upon investigating I found the vent behind the fridge is about 2/3 blocked with plywood and the space was very hot while operating on electricity. Considering removing the plywood to allow the entire vent area to be open. Anyone with a similar problem/experience?
kdhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Don't remove been there tried that. When travelling it blew out the gas. The plywood is to create a chimney for the heat. There should be a piece of plywood from the top back of fridge to the top of the top vent hole. I just went thru this. Mine was missing that top piece. I also insulated the false wall between range and fridge and above the fridge. Sealed up the area with foil tape. Fridge is working much better now. Wall ia cooler on range side and freezer is colder

YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

I asked an RV repairman about the plywood covering my upper vent and he said it is supposed to be there. If it’s like mine the fins and the thermostat are higher than the bottom of the vent. The plywood forces the air to go up higher and cool the fins before exiting the top half of the vent. He also suggested I wire another 4”x4” DC fan by the lower vent to blow fresh air up toward the top vent to help cool the fridge. I tapped in to the wires for the other fan after the thermostat so both come on at the same time when they need to.
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Response to information

Gentlemen, thanks for the information. I’ll try adding the second fan. We live near the southwest corner of Lake Okeechobee during the winter months so much of the time we are operating with temps in the 80’s which may also contribute to the problem.
kdhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Make sure there is a deflector at the top of fridge to the top of vent opening. Insulating on top of fridge and on the false wall and adding the deflector has dropped the range side freezer on ours almost 20 *F. I have not added a 3rd fan yet. Yes I had to pull the fridge out to do the Insulating but has made the fridge freezer cool down much faster and to a lower temperature. Running on setting 5 freezer at - 4*F this morning. Out side temperature here is 78*F. I also bought a battery operated fan for in the fridge to keep the frost off the thermistor on the rear fins. Thermistor is what tells the cooling system to turn on

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote