Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Void warranty???

In negotiations with my dealer for purchase of unit, we agreed to change the 6 gallon water heater for a tankless unit. So today, I get a call and they tell me that they ordered the wrong size tankless unit, and offered to make it right and honor our agreement, but warned me that it may “void” a portion of 2 year warranty since it wasn’t/would be factory installed. Basically told me that if Jayco could trace any issues back to water heater they would not honor it.

What are y’alls thoughts on this? Somewhat makes since to me, but I wanted to be sure. I appreciate your thoughts on tankless vs tanked as well. My family and I will not be boondocking very much, if ever. We are a family of 5, and worry about 6 gallons of hot water providing enough for showers.

I appreciate any information you all may have.
The Blue Flock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

From the research I've done, the experience of a tankless heater depends on the quality of the unit. Unfortunately, it seems that the ones that are only a couple hundred dollars more than a tank design are very vulnerable to incoming pressures. So if the water pressure at your campground happens to be a bit low, you may be without hot water, or you may get cold water surprises while showering when someone turns on the kitchen sink.

Search the forum for tankless heater and you'll see a lot of controversy. It was enough to convince me to change my order to a tank unit. But I have a family of 3, and the tank will be 10 gal.

Tough call on family of 5 with a 6 gal.

Can they install a bigger tank?
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

I did ask about that. They said they would do that too, but they still worry about the voided warranty. They don’t sound like they are trying to get out of doing it, just want to be sure I want to do it.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

I won't void your warranty with Jayco but any changes you make with the dealer will not be covered by Jayco. If the dealer installs a new HWT you would have to deal with who ever made it under the warranty they offer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #5

What Sundancer said.....we bought our Pup to stay in, in lieu of a long term stay hotel, while the electrical, hvac and plumbing was being completed in our renovation. What should have been a scheduled 4-6 week adventure turned into a 4.5 month extended stay in the Pup. 2 months in one of the bench seats totally failed, followed by the other one failing a week later. It was impossible for us to take it in and leave it for 3 weeks while they did the warranty repairs. I actually got a letter faxed from Jayco stating that my warranty coverage would remain in effect for all other items excluding the two bench seats, if I did the repairs. Took about 4 hours total for both benches and the repairs were done the way it should have been fabricated at the factory. Continuous support ledges, screwed with appropriate size wood screws and glued Can't tell anything happened to them from the appearance and they're more sturdy than the original design. That was 3 years ago.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:19 AM   #6

Thanks for you alls input. I’ll probably go with a 10 HWT. Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

Don't take delivery and tell them to order you a new TT... that should fix it all up... Make sure they give you a WRITTEN in writing signed by them warrantee for any changes not covered by Jayco in the event of a claim.... Words mean nothing...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #8

Well, it depends. If you never have a problem caused by the water heater, it will be a good decision.

Dealer warranties can be an issue for some. What happens if you move away from that dealer? Warranty is not worth much.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote