Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #21

Our methods

I also use cell phones with my wife when backing up. No hands needed to push walkie-talkie buttons. I also use "drivers side" and "passengers side" rather than right or left for directions. And, (mostly for newbies) when trying to remember which way to turn the wheel when backing up, I place my hand on the steering wheel at 6 o'clock. To cause the rear of the TT or 5er to go left...i simply turn the wheel to the left. Swing right to aim the rear to the right. However, when things are tight and the day has been long...we usually end up yelling at each other for one reason or the other. Me: "If you can't see me in the mirror, I can't see you, and there's no reason to use hand gestures!" Wife: "Stop, stop, stop! Why don't you stop when I say stop." 20 minutes later...it's beer and wine time. All is good. We're camping!
GeoffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
Some folks here have talked about the short range they get out of their walkie talkies. Many of these have FRS (Family Radio Service) which is for short range use shared with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) which covers much longer ranges. Which one you are using depends on the channel you pick. The FAA requires a license if you are broadcasting using GMRS since it is much more powerful than FRS. That said, I have never heard of anyone being "busted" for using the GMRS channels without a license. Check your user instructions to see what channels on your particular radio use which service.
We use the FRS radios. We love them. Its basically line-of-site and we can get about a 1/2 mile. When my son goes over the top of the mountain and starts down the other side, we lose him.

Cell phone service on our mountain is limited to one carrier (the most expensive one), so our little Motorollas are wonderful. Regardless, playing with a cell is a PITA. Our radios clip to the belt (or the collar like a cop) and they are easier to manipulate than a phone.

When we caravan on the highway they are clipped to the visor and we can stay in communication all the time. Batteries last a very long time., certainly longer than a cell.

Really doesn't matter. Whatever floats your boat. There are many ways to get the job done. In our case, when one fails we always have a backup.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
Some folks here have talked about the short range they get out of their walkie talkies. Many of these have FRS (Family Radio Service) which is for short range use shared with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) which covers much longer ranges. Which one you are using depends on the channel you pick. The FAA requires a license if you are broadcasting using GMRS since it is much more powerful than FRS. That said, I have never heard of anyone being "busted" for using the GMRS channels without a license. Check your user instructions to see what channels on your particular radio use which service.
Thanks Bill, I just pulled out the user instructions and the walkie talkies i have has" 50 gmrs channels ". I'll be able to try them out this week.DW and I are going over to the coast ( northern California ) for a week and she likes to take long walks on the beach. By the way I have the " Midland GXT 1000 " .Thanks again for the information!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #24

We use a couple of Motorola Walkabouts (model MH230R). Use use them in the campsite for communicating and they're nice to use when backing into a campsite. They are great for communicating with the friends we travel with as long as we're not to far apart - say a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Not the greatest for long distance but they get the job done for how we use them.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We have a pair of Motorola walkie talkies. I think I paid $9.95 for them about 20 years ago. We use them all the time.

X2``We use these when cell service isn't available. Otherwise, use your phone. You don't need HAM radio for what you're seeking help with.
Velz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #26

My Cobras work nice for backing in. If I could only get the DW to press the button before she starts talking. LOL

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #27

FWIW:
We boondock, and there's never a cell signal.
We have not seen fit to get FRS radios, but if we needed them, I'd search several ratings sites such as this list.
https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8

While they are limited, they can be very handy for reaching someone across the lake on a kayak or hiking up the face of a mountain that's in plain view. Where we camp, lots of neighbors use them to reach their kids and so on. The beauty of a well made FRS radio is that the squelch keeps the radio silent unless someone is attempting to reach you. An abundance of channels on most of these allows a modicum of privacy and selectivity in which conversations make it through to your radio.

This article outlines basics for the FRS and more powerful walkie-talkies. https://talkiespy.com/best-walkie-ta...-buyers-guide/ I don't claim it's the end-all-be-all for authoritative info, but it does discuss unlicensed and licensed unit going up to 2 to 4 watts or so.

It depends on what you need. While using them for backing into a site is nice, you may quickly find other uses that require a bit better performance.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #28

We have a pair of Midland GTX1000 walkies. We use them when the wife is pulling the boat and I'm pulling the camper. They're good for a couple miles between them on the highway.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #29

We have these and they work great and long battery life. We charge them once or twice a season. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote