Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Wanting L-Shaped couch removed

Without checking I think it's a 2006 Designer 36 RLTS, (I'm old so bear with me)
It has an L-shaped couch that has a fold out bed. I was wanting to take this out and replace with some else, how much of a pain is this process

Thanks for your time
Gaspergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:00 AM   #2

Not sure about your unit but I have the L-shaped sofa with pullout bed. The non-bed portion is screwed to the wall and to the bed portion. I didn't check to see how the bed portion is retained but I would guess screws through the back and into the wall.

If you have the underseat storage area in the extension look inside for screws. The couch is two pieces in mine.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Not sure about your unit but I have the L-shaped sofa with pullout bed. The non-bed portion is screwed to the wall and to the bed portion. I didn't check to see how the bed portion is retained but I would guess screws through the back and into the wall.

If you have the underseat storage area in the extension look inside for screws. The couch is two pieces in mine.
I have the same unit as yours. The short end of the L couch has pulled loose twice which causes the opposite slide to hit the couch and not close. I had it repaired twice under warranty and it is OK at present. I was wondering if others have had the same problem?
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Mine broke the screws and came loose. Until I got home I had to lift the end of the unit so the DS slide could go underneath. They were just the cheap construction screws that are used wherever a staple isn't used. I replaced them with a #10 screw of the same length and put them back in close to where the old ones were.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
I have the same unit as yours. The short end of the L couch has pulled loose twice which causes the opposite slide to hit the couch and not close. I had it repaired twice under warranty and it is OK at present. I was wondering if others have had the same problem?
We have the same floor plan (i.e., L-Shaped Couch) and have had the same problem, DS slide floor hitting end of couch inhibiting the slide from closing / pushing the ODS open.

We had it fixed under warranty.

As added protection to ensure it doesn't happen again I made 2 - 1/2" boards wrapped with carpet and always put one under each foot of the couch's L-Section after the ODS is in (retracted) to ensure there's proper clearance for the DS slide floor to go under the couch.

I remove them before extending the ODS slide.

We have considered removing the L-Shaped Couch and 2 recliners and replacing them with an 80" Tri-fold sofa and theater seating.
As we get older we're finding it harder and harder to move the recliners into position on setup and back against the wall in preparation for travel.

Any of you with similar floor plans have thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspergoo View Post
Without checking I think it's a 2006 Designer 36 RLTS, (I'm old so bear with me)
It has an L-shaped couch that has a fold out bed. I was wanting to take this out and replace with some else, how much of a pain is this process

Thanks for your time
We have considered removing our L-Shaped coach and replacing it with a Tri-Fold Sofa also.
I don't think it would be that big of a pain to remove the L-Shape couch.
I've looked at it closely and it seems like the couch would come out fairly easily by just removing the screws. The L-Shape portion is attached to the Tri-Fold bed portion, so each would be removed separately (L-shape portion then the Tri-Fold bed portion). I guessing the backs would come off to make it easy to fit the pieces through the door.

Camping World has a Destination Tri-Fold Sofa that comes in 80". This also comes in 62"; 68" and 72" lenghts.

This is the largest Tri-Fold Sofa I've been able to find.

The space in our floor plan would be ~96" once the L-Shaped couch is removed. So, depending on what size couch you get, there might be room on either side of the couch to put a small end table.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

I guess the other problem might be will it fit through the door haha... You may have to hacksaw some of it haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

WE took ours out and just use recliners. Plenty of room now and can look at the TV straight on. If you get theater recliners can you see the TV from the ODS wall?
hlcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Just a caution. The trifold sofa in our smaller unit was very uncomfortable to sit on. We never tried sleeping on it. Replaced it with recliners.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Mine broke the screws and came loose. Until I got home I had to lift the end of the unit so the DS slide could go underneath. They were just the cheap construction screws that are used wherever a staple isn't used. I replaced them with a #10 screw of the same length and put them back in close to where the old ones were.
How did you get access to the screws and where are they located? I need to remove the L section and the only 2 screws I seen were in the box under the couch and are screwed into the wall just above the floor. I have not removed them yet.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #11

We HAD an L Sofa that had a fold-out bed (air mattress). Storage drawer under the fold-out portion. Under seat storage below the non-bed cushions. Removal was fairly easy and everything fit thru the door.
As pieces are removed take them out thru the door.
The drawer is removed by moving a couple of plastic levers in the drawer slide mechanism.
The fold-out back is attached with a slide-on clip. Remove the L portion seat cushions, the end part had a couple of bolts in a hinge mechanism to remove it. The corner section had a lift out cushion and removable piece of plywood under it.
A few screws held the L section to a short “finger wall”. A few more held the L to the fold-out part.
The L can be pulled out after these are removed. There were electrical boxes screwed to the floor that the L has to be lifted over. Once away from the wall and fold-out part the L seat back is removed by lifting straight up.
The base of the L can now go out the door.
As I recall the base of the fold-out can go out now and you have to decide what to do with all the pieces.
This job needs 2 people.
I am replacing this with Thomas Payne theater seating recliners. It’s a work in progress and will also entail removing the carpet and replacing it with vinyl flooring.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
How did you get access to the screws and where are they located? I need to remove the L section and the only 2 screws I seen were in the box under the couch and are screwed into the wall just above the floor. I have not removed them yet.
When looking inside the storage compartment under the L-section there were two screws into the wall and two into the bed section of the couch. That's all that holds it in place. Not sure what holds the bed section in.

Late reply cause just got home from our winter trip and wasn't checking JOF much when travelling
Old 06-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

There will be two screws into the side of the sofa section as well. The L shape has to come out first.
Jmhillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #14

Thanks, I took the l section out and put it back after I replaced the flooring. I had 6 screws in the sofa part. The 2 screws in the back wall were broken. I added 2 more screws to the group because those screws are what keep the L section suspended when the slides are closed.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, I took the l section out and put it back after I replaced the flooring. I had 6 screws in the sofa part. The 2 screws in the back wall were broken. I added 2 more screws to the group because those screws are what keep the L section suspended when the slides are closed.
Same issue I had. Our first winter of travel the screws into the wall broke and I had to lift the end of the couch to bring in the DS slide.