Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Dargo;766385]I am still toying with the idea of finding a stove that fits here. I want it for breakfasts or maybe to boil things.

I saw a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS that had a 2 burner stove instead of the grill when I was buying my camper. My 2018 has the grill and I have never used it. I could fore see a nasty grill and maybe a blackened wall on the side of my camper. You might be able to get the specs from Jayco for the 2 burner stove they supplied in the 2017 model if you want a burner. I think that would be more useful to me than a grill I am scared to use. I kind of liked the idea of taking out the grill and creating a drawer. I will consider that idea. Good luck.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #22
Wsw

WOW. We have this grill in our brand new 2021 334rlok. First time using it this weekend. Put 4 burgers on it. Cooked ok, then the grease caught on fire. Flames shooting all around and up. Flames were close to side of camper. I was throwing water everywhere. Shut gas off. Flames died out. Saved burgers barely.

Probably not ever using this thing again and plan on making a utensil drawer and counter top. Right above it does make a good spot for our air fryer oven combo.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #23

I took mine out and made it into a drawer, there is another thread on here on how to do that and I posted pictures of what I did.

I bought a Weber Q grill and carry it in the basement. I did a conversion on it so I can plug it into the camper propane system and I have a 20' quick disconnect hose. Awesome little grill and easy to carry in the basement.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsw View Post
WOW. We have this grill in our brand new 2021 334rlok. First time using it this weekend. Put 4 burgers on it. Cooked ok, then the grease caught on fire. Flames shooting all around and up. Flames were close to side of camper. I was throwing water everywhere. Shut gas off. Flames died out. Saved burgers barely.

Probably not ever using this thing again and plan on making a utensil drawer and counter top. Right above it does make a good spot for our air fryer oven combo.
I'm glad you didn't have any damage. Be thankful you were there when it flared up. I can't believe Jayco hasn't pulled that grill from their assembly line. I still haven't done anything with ours. I've used it as a backup heating up water and hot dogs. But I gotta rip it out and just replace it with something else. I have the Weber Q1200 that I hook up directly to the gas. Great setup, just nowhere to set the grill other than a foldout table which isn't a big deal.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #25

At least some of the 2021 Pinnacles have a Blackstone grill in the outdoor kitchen.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
At least some of the 2021 Pinnacles have a Blackstone grill in the outdoor kitchen.
I may do that. I either say it on Jayco forum or a you tube someone replaced the Capital grill with a Blackstone. 17"er
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I may do that. I either say it on Jayco forum or a you tube someone replaced the Capital grill with a Blackstone. 17"er
There was just a post about it in the RV Tips group on Facebook...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #28

I don’t see why anyone would use it as a grill, anyway, regardless of it’s name. It is simply a replacement for the 2-burner drawer. It boils water, heats a skillet, etc perfectly. Most campers use a true grill for grilling meats, veggies and such. However, I could easily see how grease would run down and possibly catch fire, putting people or property at risk.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #29

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but we just tried our capital grille out and it was pretty bad. The burners appeared to put off enough heat, but with no lid nothing was being kept in. It took forever to cook some steaks. Then when the cooking was over, the cook top was scorched. I was sadly not impressed. It’s so convenient to have a grill you can pull out in a drawer, but based on the performance I’m looking at other options.

A) is there a lid that could go on the capital to hold the heat in and cook better? I’ll figure out cleaning later.

B) Bumper or side mount grill that would plug into the propane connector on the rear. This seems to be the easiest option for now, but it’s another thing to bring with and store/setup.

C) Replace the capital grill with a black stone grill. It seems a lot of people really like the black stone and it’s easy to clean. Even though it doesn’t have a lid it seems to heat things up nicely. I would only want this though if I could put it in the same drawer as the capital grill. Has anyone done this?
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingfamco View Post
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but we just tried our capital grille out and it was pretty bad. The burners appeared to put off enough heat, but with no lid nothing was being kept in. It took forever to cook some steaks. Then when the cooking was over, the cook top was scorched. I was sadly not impressed. It’s so convenient to have a grill you can pull out in a drawer, but based on the performance I’m looking at other options.

A) is there a lid that could go on the capital to hold the heat in and cook better? I’ll figure out cleaning later.

B) Bumper or side mount grill that would plug into the propane connector on the rear. This seems to be the easiest option for now, but it’s another thing to bring with and store/setup.

C) Replace the capital grill with a black stone grill. It seems a lot of people really like the black stone and it’s easy to clean. Even though it doesn’t have a lid it seems to heat things up nicely. I would only want this though if I could put it in the same drawer as the capital grill. Has anyone done this?
The first time I used the grill the grease flames from the steaks were shooting up the side of my camper scaring the crap out of me. I think it is a really bad and unsafe design.

I turned the grill into a storage drawer, then I bought a Weber Q grill I carry in the basement and I did a conversion on the Weber Q Grill so I can run it off the rig propane with a quick disconnect. The Q Grill is a great little grill, if you want to do a Blackstone Griddle you can do the same conversion. Personally I like to grill (I own a Blackstone but don't typically bring it). I just set the Q Grill on a small table.

I have written up all my upgrades and conversions I have done here: https://www.scottenjones.com/JaycoEa...QSUpgrades.pdf

Pages 35 and 36 describe the grill and 70 and 71 the drawer conversion.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #31

Had early visitation to our new Jay Feather 24BH at the dealer lot prior to taking possession. The outdoor kitchen has been revised and the Capitol grill is no longer being used and the slide holding it has been removed as well. It has been replaced by a Blackstone 17" tabletop griddle along with a removable tabletop. The tabletop is fastened to a 2" steel L bracket that mounts into a frame receiver on the side of the trailer. Jury is out on this setup but I am happy that the Blackstone has replaced the Capitol. Not sure how/if the Blackstone will get used as I already regularly use a 3 burner Camp Chef with griddle.
hoosierdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
I don’t see why anyone would use it as a grill, anyway, regardless of it’s name. It is simply a replacement for the 2-burner drawer. It boils water, heats a skillet, etc perfectly. Most campers use a true grill for grilling meats, veggies and such. However, I could easily see how grease would run down and possibly catch fire, putting people or property at risk.
This still holds true. Why they advertise it as a "grill" is a mystery. It's simply a replacement for the 2-burner stove top that happens to have a grate. We use ours to boil water, even found a perfect-sized griddle on Amazon that we use for many things, especially breakfast. We use the true grills when cooking anything else while camping. Have a small Weber, small Holland and now a small pellet grill. We actually thought about getting a tabletop Blackstone, but our Capital Grille is working great with the griddle we bought on Amazon.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #33

Agree with your thoughts on the Weber! We have a Q1000 and love it.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #34

I store our Blackstone 17" grill on top of it. Have never used the OEM grill and plan to take it out and do as others with making it a storage drawer. Have a tabletop pit Boss pellet grill for the BBQ foods. Love the Blackstone for breakfast foods and it makes killer Chick Fillet style sandwiches.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #35

I also use a Weber Q for all grilling. So I found a 2 burner induction cooktop that fit the cutout with little modification.Nice thing about induction tops is no flame to blow out if it's breezy.

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1415.jpg   IMG_1416.jpg  
riesarott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #36

I just purchased a 2021 28.5 Jayco with Capital grill. After reading all the problems an complaints I'm not going to use the grill. Has any won spoke with Jayco about the issues with the grill????? I agree Jayco should replace our grills w something that will work. One of the selling points for purchasing our camper was a outside grill.
I will write Jayco an see what they say?
frudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesarott View Post
I also use a Weber Q for all grilling. So I found a 2 burner induction cooktop that fit the cutout with little modification.Nice thing about induction tops is no flame to blow out if it's breezy.

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Riesarott,
I love the look of your induction cooktop. It looks like it was meant to be. I want one!! Did you have to run a new power feed to operate it I noticed it called for a 20 AMP circuit?
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:16 PM   #38

I'll take anyone's bottle opener that they want to get rid of lol
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
Riesarott,
I love the look of your induction cooktop. It looks like it was meant to be. I want one!! Did you have to run a new power feed to operate it I noticed it called for a 20 AMP circuit?
I did. I ran a separate 12 gauge line from the burner to over near the 50 amp power inlet and installed a 20 amp power inlet. Since most, if not all camp ground power posts contain a 20 amp outlet along side the normal 30 & 50 amp outlets, I now don't need to worry if both air conditioners are running and the residential fridge decides to go into defrost mode. I can also dogbone a 30 amp outlet down to a 20 amp as an option too.

Watch for open box or warehouse deals(returns, damaged packaging, etc) from Amazon as I only paid $120 for mine.

This is the power inlet I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
riesarott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesarott View Post
I did. I ran a separate 12 gauge line from the burner to over near the 50 amp power inlet and installed a 20 amp power inlet. Since most, if not all camp ground power posts contain a 20 amp outlet along side the normal 30 & 50 amp outlets, I now don't need to worry if both air conditioners are running and the residential fridge decides to go into defrost mode. I can also dogbone a 30 amp outlet down to a 20 amp as an option too.

Watch for open box or warehouse deals(returns, damaged packaging, etc) from Amazon as I only paid $120 for mine.

This is the power inlet I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

I would not use an adapter to supply a 30amp power supply to your 20Amp wiring and system you installed. If you do that your breaker will trip/protect at 30 amps and the plug/wiring you installed (assuming 12awg here) is not rated for 30amp. So if you have a problem that is causing more that 20amps in your wiring the breaker will not trip.

You can safely go the other way like supplying 30amp feed to your 50amp trailer as everything would be protected.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote