Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Seems to be a known issue as grand design has a recall-

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...nvection-Oven?
They call it "cosmetic".....

The "FIX" if you can call it a fix...

wow!
That's a little bit indicting, isn't it?
Old 11-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
>>>>we were lucky but, if anyone else has this unit I would be very careful using it.<<<<
I'm not sure if the same Furrion Microwave / convection is used in all models,
could you please post model number and serial number?
Also, can you post how it's removed? Appears to be a rail on the rear, are there screws on the top?
Thanks!
It was the FMCM15SS, I don't have the serial number.

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
wow!
That's a little bit indicting, isn't it?
Wow....I wonder if it has happened in other Jayco models?

Old 11-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Let us know if Furrion responds. I wonder what component is getting so hot?
FURRION sent an email to say thank you for the information and they would pass it on to the Engineering department.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #25

Update:

Jayco responded via email and I got just what I expected.....

This was their response

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer service. You will need to contact your Insurance anytime there is fire, melting, smoke, burnt it will need to go the insurance. This is also in the warrant section of your owners manual.

Have a blessed day!!

That was verbatim......I have no words🤨

Old 11-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maejoicer View Post
Our Furrion Microwave Convection quit working a month ago and we finally replaced it yesterday with a new unit, though we opted for a different brand. But this is what we found when it was removed from the wall It could have been a horrible disaster and fire.

Why did Jayco not put some sort of heat shield on the wall behind the unit?

Anyway, we were lucky but, if anyone else has this unit I would be very careful using it.

I am forwarding pictures to Jayco and Furrion just as an FYI and I don't expect any response but they need to be aware.
My Furrion microwave stopped working and was replaced under warranty. I used the convection oven for about 15 minutes and felt that it was getting too hot, so I aborted the use that feature and used the oven instead. It caused me to wonder how hot it might be getting on the back of the microwave. SMART!
jayconorthpoint18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Update:

This was their response

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer service. You will need to contact your Insurance anytime there is fire, melting, smoke, burnt it will need to go the insurance. This is also in the warrant section of your owners manual.

Have a blessed day!!

I can't believe Jayco's disregard to this problem. I pray this issues does not lead to injury or death to someone, much less major property damage, it's inevitable. As easy as it looks to remove the Microwave Oven, (on the above video) Owners with warranties need to remove and inspect. If there is problems owners need to make Jayco deal with it.. At least they should be sending a recall with some type of fix..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #28

The Furrion and Jayco responses both stink of patronizing the customer's concern with no intention of going any further.
Perhaps sending the copy of the Jayco response to the insurance industry would get some attention. With that attitude, why bother with smoke, CO, and propane detectors...let's just file a claim after we're dead!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #29

Suitable Insulation

While it may be possible Jayco will offer up some insulation I'm not expecting anything to happen soon if at all. I have been searching for something suitable and found the following on e-bay and asked questions. SO if anyone is concerned, this may be an option.
~
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20280230147...QAAOSw7spdqRr1
1/8" Kaowool 12"x24" Ceramic Fiber Blanket Insulation Thermal Ceramics 2300 degrees F $8.09 plus shipping.
~
Hello, I am looking for a sheet of insulation for the back of a Furrion microwave convection oven used in RV's. There have been reports of them scorching walls. I have 2 questions.
1. Do you think the Kaowool at 1/8" will be enough to protect the wall?
2. Will tape stick to the insulation? I only need to tape the edge and hold it in place when re-installing the microwave.
Thank you!
~Reply~
Perfect application!!!! John did this for my kitchen products!
Also, the product may be STIFF enough to simply ‘sit’ I place. Tape may melt, we’ll advise something else if product does not conform fitting around corners and such, 1/8 inch is great for this, does not need to fill the full space to work. Can always add more 1/8 product if you purchase more than the exact measurement. BTW, we have this in our RV as well.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Update:

This was their response

Have a blessed day!!

Ah, don't you love it when the Legal Department reviews a customer service process?
Old 11-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #31

I would have had my attorney send a letter to both Jayco & Furrion. That problem is certainly not one you would have caused.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #32

2x with Jayconorthpoint18. The first time I used it I shut it off and haven't used it since. I just didnt like the set up. We use a small toaster oven that I used in my last RV instead.
The microwave portion of this unit has worked nicely, I just don't like the convection oven setup.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #33

That could have caused total loss of the RV if a fire was caused. Beside that, that is a cheap cheesy fix for the problem. NHTSA involvement for sure at the least.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Our Furrion Microwave Convection quit working a month ago and we finally replaced it yesterday with a new unit, though we opted for a different brand. But this is what we found when it was removed from the wall It could have been a horrible disaster and fire.

Why did Jayco not put some sort of heat shield on the wall behind the unit?

Anyway, we were lucky but, if anyone else has this unit I would be very careful using it.

I am forwarding pictures to Jayco and Furrion just as an FYI and I don't expect any response but they need to be aware.
What brand is replacement? We are considering replacing ours (in 2020 377rlbh).
Thank you.
Danandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #35

I was looking at my microwave a couple months ago because the loudest rattle I have is the back mounting plate. How is the unit mounted in the front top. I saw no normal screw hangers.
I have used the Microwave function but rarely the Oven feature. Have you used the oven a lot for this to happen (but it shouldn't)?
XrayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #36

Furrion microwave convection

Just to let people know that grand design had the same issue and they did a recall to add a heat shield behind the unit.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Just to let people know that grand design had the same issue and they did a recall to add a heat shield behind the unit.
I'm sure when Jayco does their recall, they claim they don't have the parts i stock.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I can't believe Jayco's disregard to this problem. I pray this issues does not lead to injury or death to someone, much less major property damage, it's inevitable. As easy as it looks to remove the Microwave Oven, (on the above video) Owners with warranties need to remove and inspect. If there is problems owners need to make Jayco deal with it.. At least they should be sending a recall with some type of fix..
I totally agree, our warranty had expired two weeks before the Microwave quit and so I think Jayco didn't even care. We were unaware of the problem for over a month as I was researching for a different unit and waiting for the RV Tech to come and replace it, after I got approval from our extended warranty insurance. It was covered 100% when the Tech removed it I was shocked. I have no confidence in the Furrion products, our Fireplace had gone out last winter but it was still under warranty and they/Furrion sent us a new unit that we installed ourselves. The funny thing is that we haven't used it since we replaced it other to make sure it worked and use a small heater that puts out more heat and that FP did. I think those FP are more for looks and don't heat well, well ours never did.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Yes, it would been nice to know as I am sure it has happened to a lot of other brands as well.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayBoy View Post
I was looking at my microwave a couple months ago because the loudest rattle I have is the back mounting plate. How is the unit mounted in the front top. I saw no normal screw hangers.
I have used the Microwave function but rarely the Oven feature. Have you used the oven a lot for this to happen (but it shouldn't)?
Ours was mounted with screws through the top located in the cupboard above the unit and a mounting plate on the wall.