Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #21

Kim, Someone at Lippert gave you some bad info. Here is a small part of their warranty.

"LIPPERT COMPONENTS, INC.’S LIMITED WARRANTY
COVERING MOBILE HOME AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLE AXLES,
CHASSIS, SLIDE-OUT AND LEVELING SYSTEMS, AND OTHER COMPONENTS
The following outlines LIPPERT COMPONENTS, INC.’S warranty and warranty claims processing procedures. As
always, contact LIPPERT COMPONENTS if you have any questions.
This warranty does not apply to any utility trailer, specialty trailer, car hauler, refurbished and/or recycled axles (of
any type), any axle manufactured or refurbished and/or recycled by Lippert Tire & Axle (a wholly owned subsidiary) or
any other product except as specifically stated herein.
Important!
This warranty is honored for a period of 1 year from the date of retail purchase. This warranty is
nontransferable and extends only to the original purchaser acquiring the product directly from a Lippert
Components Facility and shall not be construed to extend to any third party, including, but not limited to the
ultimate purchaser of the end product.
This limited warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada."

I worked at several RV dealerships as a tech and service manager. Warranty periods begin at date of sale, not date of manufacture. I'd check with someone else before I paid for something that I believed was still under warranty.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #22

A very interesting discussion.

To the OP: have your warrantee issues been taken care of? Has it cost you any money to have the issues taken care of?

If it has been taken care of at no cost to you, it doesn't matter who took care of it. It is what it is.

As an in formation al post tho, it is interesting the way it is all handled.

For my warranty repairs, it didn't matter to me who did/payed for what. I am just happy that my issues were taken care of and that I didn't have to pay for it.

Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #23

When we were still in warranty and if we had an issue Jayco was always there and approving work no matter what dealer or mobile tech.

Think some forget that maybe the dealer you are working with is the real problem for not getting things done and NOT Jayco.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #24

For what it is worth, the small refrigerator in our outside kitchen went out during our first trip. My local independent repair guy who was handling another small issue and i both spoke to Jayco.
Jayco refereed us to the manufacturer of the refrigerator as it was within the first year and the manufacturer had a 1 year warranty. No issues and the refer was replaced.
I did ask Jayco what would happen if I had been at month 18. They said in that case Jayco would cover the repair/replacement, but the manufacturer warranty always takes precedence if it is still in effect.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #25

Well said wags999. I also covered my ... by sending in the warranty info for every 3rd party component on/in my camper i.e. awnening, fridge, heater etc. They put that warranty info in the packet so I made use of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #26

On my current Forest River brand trade trailer, all warranty issues were dealership caused. Forest River took care of everything. But I did have to get in touch with Forest River several times on several items as the dealer was slacking. That's why I drove 3 hours away and paid a little more at a much better dealership than my local crappy dealer to order my new Jayco.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #27

Warranty issues are WAY different on the road when the trailer is seized up and no dealer nearby.. There is much more than inconvenience.. You become a resident of your breakdown town for however it takes to fix the unit.

We got such poor customer service from everyone that we had to consider many alternatives like going home with no trailer. We did have tow coverage.. but not for 1500 miles of tow.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
My position would be that Jayco bought from the third party manufacturers. I did not. Since I purchased from Jayco then Jayco should honor the warranty. Let Jayco deal with the manufacturers. That is the only way Jayco will be responsive to poor products being used in their units.

Jayco should not be able to "wash their hands of it" once you purchase their RV.
Quote:
My position would be that Jayco bought from the third party manufacturers. I did not. Since I purchased from Jayco then Jayco should honor the warranty. Let Jayco deal with the manufacturers. That is the only way Jayco will be responsive to poor products being used in their units.

Jayco should not be able to "wash their hands of it" once you purchase their RV.
I fully agree with this. If automotive manufacturers did this, Ram would tell you during your warranty period that you have to go to Cummins if you have engine problems, go to Aisin if you have transmission problems, go to Bosche if you have defective fuel injectors, company XYZ if your seats don't work, stereo company if stereo does not work, air conditioning manufacturer if it doesn't work the week after you pick it up, go see the manufacturer of the power window motor that was installed in your truck and is defective.

The analogy to a refrigerator in a house is a poor example because it is usually an option as to whether you have a new fridge with your new warrantied house.

When you go to a Jayco website they boldly advertise their 2 year warranty and I was not told or informed about all of the exclusions from the 2 year warranty before purchase. If all 3rd party items are not covered by Jayco then the list of items warrantied by Jayco would be a very short list with a very long list of excluded items: water pump (shurflo), water tanks, plumbing (pex), furnace (dometic), slide (lippert), inverter, windows and windows seals -see manufacturer, air conditioner (dometic), paint or fiberglass issues - see manufacturer. There is very little in our trailers that is manufactured by Jayco and the majority of the parts are supplied by 3rd parties and assembled by Jayco and should be covered by Jayco warranty unless clearly identified as excluded from the Jayco warranty. I can understand tires being excluded because it is common knowledge, but I think it is pretty poor that Jayco claims that axles are not its responsibility. Can you imagine Ford saying during first year of ownership, too bad about your defective axles, go see Dana about them and Dana saying go see the manufacturer of the transfer case there was not problem with the axle ?

At the end of the day, if the two RV manufacturers remaining in North America agree that there should be no meaningful warranty on the RV's sold, then purchasers should be made aware of this.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #29

Very informative 20 minute discussion with Jayco today. I learned more than I did during my research prior to purchase. I was informed and assurd that contrary to blogs and rumors everything in my TT is covered for 2 yrs. Contracts between them an the 3rd party may vary but it's nothing I would have to worry about. Just hope I don't have to find out for myself but what I learned about the whole process I feel comfortable with it

Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Very informative 20 minute discussion with Jayco today. I learned more than I did during my research prior to purchase. I was informed and assurd that contrary to blogs and rumors everything in my TT is covered for 2 yrs. Contracts between them an the 3rd party may vary but it's nothing I would have to worry about. Just hope I don't have to find out for myself but what I learned about the whole process I feel comfortable with it

Exactly my experience.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #31

Quote:

Agree TNCCHUCK
Jayco should step up to the plate and honor third party parts that they installed and hold the suppliers feet to the fire. If the part is faulty and Jayco installed it and sold it its theirs. What would we do if the auto industry acted in the same way, air bags for example.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #32

And that is exactly what they do.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
It's true that Jayco (and other manufacturers) do not honor the warranties of components they do not make themselves. Those warranties are honored only by the manufacturer of the component. However, when you take in an RV to the dealer for warranty work of any failed or malfunctioning component, it's up to the dealer to make arrangements with the components' manufacturers to get the components repaired or replace.

If Little Dealer, Little Prices is where you bought the RV and they are stalling on doing warranty work on a non-Jayco component, you might ask Jayco if they could wake up the dealer. If LDLP is not the dealer you purchased your RV from, you may be up a creek and will have to deal with the manufacturer yourself. Unlike the auto industry, the RV industry does not require a dealer to do warranty work on RVs they didn't sell (which I feel is male bovine biscuits!).

Caulking on an RV is a maintenance item (something I don't agree with; I feel it should last at least the length of the RV's warranty but, again, it is what it is) so the onus is on you to keep it maintained, especially since warranty damage due to failed caulking is also not covered by warranty. The only exception might be if you could prove that the caulking was improperly but that's probably something you would have to catch during the PDI and insist on getting fixed before you take possession of the RV.

All that said, Jayco's response to you seemed rather cold and harsh and not representative of good customer service.
That's not accurate, at least not in 2017. My Furrion TV, Simmons Mattress and Wedgewood oven failures all had to be proccessed through Jayco. Nothing happens at any dealer without a pre-authorization from Jayco regardless of the component manufacturer. Even when I dealt with the first failure being the Furrion directly with Furrion, they told me, "You need a replacement TV but will need to speak to Jayco about same". The entire warranty system at Jayco is like no other warranty by any manufacturer I've ever seen. It is as though they have no intention of honoring the warranty of their product and simply make you jump through an endless number of hoops.

I ended up buying my own replacement tv, mattress and paid $175 recently to have the oven serviced by a mobile rv service after waiting 3 weeks for for a replacement oven. Still hasn't showed up at the local dealer. Same with the Simmons mattress, that was ordered over a month ago.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #34

I have had no issues at all getting warranty items dealt with. I think these situations speak volumes about your dealer service department if you have long drawn out issues. Voyager RV has been excellent in this area. No issues or delays at all.

Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post
That's not accurate, at least not in 2017. My Furrion TV, Simmons Mattress and Wedgewood oven failures all had to be proccessed through Jayco. Nothing happens at any dealer without a pre-authorization from Jayco regardless of the component manufacturer. Even when I dealt with the first failure being the Furrion directly with Furrion, they told me, "You need a replacement TV but will need to speak to Jayco about same". The entire warranty system at Jayco is like no other warranty by any manufacturer I've ever seen. It is as though they have no intention of honoring the warranty of their product and simply make you jump through an endless number of hoops.

I ended up buying my own replacement tv, mattress and paid $175 recently to have the oven serviced by a mobile rv service after waiting 3 weeks for for a replacement oven. Still hasn't showed up at the local dealer. Same with the Simmons mattress, that was ordered over a month ago.
The point is the dealer is supposed to make the arrangements. Whether the dealer goes through Jayco or directly through the component manufacturer is immaterial.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post

I purchased our RV from Middlebury, In, but, we live in phoenix. We had an issue with the dinette cushions, contacted Jayco and they sent new ones no questions asked. Later we had an issue with the couch..after contacting Jayco they said to contact the local dealer which is Little Dealer Little Prices.. We contacted them, sent them pictures, and they worked with Jayco to have the mfg send a new couch to LDLP, no problem. We or the dealer never spoke to the mfg only Jayco...they handled the whole process, we had the couch with a few weeks. It worked EXACTLY as everyone is saying it should. If you have issues I would bet it is the dealer. Jayco has been great as has Little Dealer Little Prices in Phoenix. I forgot Jayco also sent us a new radio, no questions asked... never had to deal with any other parties.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The point is the dealer is supposed to make the arrangements. Whether the dealer goes through Jayco or directly through the component manufacturer is immaterial.
This is 100% correct. The Warranty is between Jayco and the customer (Owner). Third party product warranties exist only between Jayco and that manufacturer. How Jayco chooses to get service under those warrantees and if they collect $ from the original manufacturer is their business.

The Dealer and Jayco must repair any and all defects or failures under the warrantee. Their recourse is to go to the original manufacturer but it is not up to you. Imagine if you had to go to the original manufacturer every time something went wrong with your car? You don't think Ford, GM, or any other manufacturer actually makes all of those parts?

Any dealer that says otherwise is lying.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #38
Site Team

It's easy to compare a rv warranty with a auto warranty because we all have dealt with that scenario but the relationship between a auto dealer and a auto maker is not the same as that of a rv dealer and any rv manufacturer.

Any one who expects it to be is dreaming!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It's easy to compare a rv warranty with a auto warranty because we all have dealt with that scenario but the relationship between a auto dealer and a auto maker is not the same as that of a rv dealer and any rv manufacturer.

Any one who expects it to be is dreaming!
Nope. The warranty you are receiving is from the manufacturer (Jayco). They are responsible for administering it. They can choose do do so by having the original equipment manufacturer service the warranty item but JAYCO and the DEALER are responsible for getting it done. Period. They can try to make you believe otherwise, but it is simply not so. Your transaction is between you and Jayco alone if the RV comes with the equipment from Jayco. Of course anything you add after the fact is a different story. Not dreaming.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #40

I just re-read the Jayco warranty included in my purchase package. This is only the second time that I've actually read it. It's fairly general in terms of who does what and I saw nowhere specifically stated as to how long it takes for items to be serviced or delivered. I believe the general disagreement is between what they offer and what some of us expect. As the saying goes..."it is what it is".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote