Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
SWM

Exclamation Warranty for "Full-Time RVing"???

My wife and I are just about ready to buy a new Pinnacle 36KPTS with the intention of near full-timing.

I downloaded the 2019 Users manual and happened to review the warranty section. There several statements in there that give Jayco the right to terminate the warranty if the RV that for extended use (Full timing).

Specifically:

p.20 under WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
- "any RV not used for recreational travel and camping"

P. 21 under EVENTS DISCHARGING JAYCO FROM OBLIGATIONS UNDER WARRANTY
…. "or any use of the RV as a semi-permanent or permanent home"

p. 30 EXTENDED OR FULL TIME USEAGE
"Your new recreation vehicle has been built for enjoyment in a recreational manner. It is not intended for use as full-time quarters or a permanent residence. Continuous living in your vehicle could cause accelerated wear and damage to the various components."
"CAUTION: Continuous or permanent living in your recreation vehicle may affect your warranty coverage and may void the “Limited Warranty” applicable to your vehicle."

My question for the group is:

Does Jayco have a warranty for full time RVing? If so under what conditions does it apply, or can it be arbitrarily voided at Jayco's discretion?

Note: the NP manual has the same wording, so applies to both.

Thanks!
SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #2

How would they know if you are living in it full time if you don’t Tell them. Plus the warranty is only for 2 years. I would just Enjoy living in it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Agree
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
How would they know if you are living in it full time if you don’t Tell them. Plus the warranty is only for 2 years. I would just Enjoy living in it.
If you ever have to make a warranty claim, just don't mention that you full-time in it.

I find that exclusion to be a bit amusing... It's basically an admission of their poor quality. I rewrote the last clause to reflect that reality...

"Your new recreation vehicle has been built as quickly and with the lowest quality intended for enjoyment in a recreational manner. The components within are sourced as cheaply as possible and are not intended for use as full-time quarters or a permanent residence. Continuous living in your vehicle could cause accelerated wear and damage to the various components which were not intended to be used more than a few weekends each year."
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

That was changed for 2019 and possibly 2018 for the PINNACLE.

Right from JAYCO's Website:

The combination of premium towing gear, total luxury and full-time warranty coverage, make the Pinnacle a complete package.

We full timed in our 2015 and had ZERO issues getting warranty work done. Buy and enjoy.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
find that exclusion to be a bit amusing... It's basically an admission of their poor quality. I rewrote the last clause to reflect that reality...
Probably based on which section of the RVIA code is used for each model.

It's the same Industry Wide only worded differently. Here's the same disclaimer for Grand Design.

The "Limited Structural Warranty" covers defects in material & workmanship that occur during normal use when utilized for the intended purpose of traveling & camping, and is contingent on the owner following the required & recommended maintenance schedule that is incorporated in the Owner's Manual.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
SWM

I hear what folks are saying. However, a friend's boat had warranty issues that became a pissing match. A part failed several times during warranty. First time, no issue. By the third time the were blaming my friend. He argued, so they wanted lots of info on how he used the boat and any customer damage. Fortunately he had his records straight and it turned out to be a manufacturing defect in a mating part. In the end, they covered the issued.
I am a private person for the most part, but the customer-manufacturer relationship needs to be honest when dealing with potential warranty conflicts. I strongly disagree with a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach.
As it stands the marketing materials say full-time warranty. The actual warranty specifically excludes full-timing. I have asked our potential dealer to clarify with Jayco and put it in writing. Will let folks know if they come through.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWM View Post
I hear what folks are saying. However, a friend's boat had warranty issues that became a pissing match. A part failed several times during warranty. First time, no issue. By the third time the were blaming my friend. He argued, so they wanted lots of info on how he used the boat and any customer damage. Fortunately he had his records straight and it turned out to be a manufacturing defect in a mating part. In the end, they covered the issued.
I am a private person for the most part, but the customer-manufacturer relationship needs to be honest when dealing with potential warranty conflicts. I strongly disagree with a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach.
As it stands the marketing materials say full-time warranty. The actual warranty specifically excludes full-timing. I have asked our potential dealer to clarify with Jayco and put it in writing. Will let folks know if they come through.
I would agree to always be truthful. There was an announcement maybe 6 months ago, that Jayco was providing a full warranty on the luxury 5vrs, which the Pinnacle was included on. I would search Jayco's website, and maybe give them a call to confirm.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
SWM

Thank you for the tip. I'll check the Jayco website. We have the dealer chasing it down. So far all he has sent me is a cover of the sales brochure.

Edit to add:
Haven't found anything on web site yet. Reviewed 2017, 2018, and 2019 Pinnacle and North Point Owners manuals for the above section.
ALL manuals state there are warranty exclusions for extended or full time living.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWM View Post
I strongly disagree with a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach.
Your reading the "Generic Warranty" just like the owners manual will be very "Generic". Unless things have changed the owner's manuals don't cover specific models, been that way for decades unfortunately. I would not even rely on the dealer. Use the JAYCO contact page or "E" mail them direct and you will have a written response directly from them.

After 43 yrs with Starcraft and Jayco and the last 17 with Jayco directly I think you're worried about nothing, I know dozens of people who have or are full timing with no warranty issues. It's all about RVIA and other codes that they have to follow...Just my opinion....
Old 05-25-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Maybe this will help:
https://youtu.be/cRT9ELLw5AE
Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
SWM

Thank you!

While not from Missouri, I have challenged Jayco to "show me" where the written warranty has been updated to reflect this change in coverage (2019 written warranty is same as 2017).

My local dealer arranged for Rudy Boals (sp), Jayco's rep, to call yesterday and discuss. Mr. Boals strongly re-iterated the Full-Time RVing warranty commitment, but he wanted to clarify that these are RVs, not park units, so this warranty would not cover a park unit type of use. His example was temporary living during the oil boom in ND. I am aware that there are different designs and standards for park units, but not sure of how the uses are defined. We discussed our plans, and Mr. Boals assured me that this use is covered as "RVing".

I am much more assured, and Mr. Boals is in the process of getting me something in writing.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #13

We that have been doing the full time RV living for a while understand the normal wear and tear, and the extra maintenance that come with this style of living. It's an excepted thing that Jayco will say.

However;
They are called residential models for a reason. Just sayin...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #14

According to Jayco, the 2019 and newer Pinnacles and North Points are covered for full-time use. I am also trying to get them to add the Seismics, as they are their luxury toyhaulers.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #15

Amazing how poor the quality is in RVs which includes pontoons and boats. I retired as. GM of a very well known pontoon mfg and found that quality just looks good in the brochure. We sure wouldn’t accept the substandard quality in a 30,000 car, but in a 100,000 RV it just becomes part of the norm. Pitiful.
timjenc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #16

I’d hate to say. Jayco should warranty any of them. Not just the most expensive one. Then Grand Design promotes that they warranty full time. Why wouldn’t Jayco? They promote the best strongest , makes no sense. For weekends only. Bull.....
Nonrev59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #17

We live in a 2019 Pinnacle full time and talk to Jayco and other compenent makers (Lippert, Dometic) from time to time. When a problem comes up and they ask us to take it to a dealer we say “nope, we are full time and can’t leave it at a dealer”. Mostly they give in and just send me the part or authorize a local mobile RV tech.

The only time so far that we agreed to go to a dealer is for a recall on the awning wiring. They insisted on on us going to a dealer because it is a fire safety issue and they want the dealer to do it. Camping World in Pooler GA has the parts and will do it next week, knowing that we at are full time and will be waiting in the truck with 4 dogs and 4 cats. It should take an hour or two.

I have also found that when we tell tech support that we are FT that they seem more willing to spend time on the phone or send documentation for troubleshooting ourselves.

REALLY IMPORTANT ABOUT FULL-TIME: Tell you insurance company! If you don’t and they find out, they will deny a claim and could even accuse you of insurance fraud. Not all carriers will insure FT but many will. Our total coverage is about the same as it was on our old house.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
The only time so far that we agreed to go to a dealer is for a recall on the awning wiring. They insisted on on us going to a dealer because it is a fire safety issue and they want the dealer to do it. Camping World in Pooler GA has the parts and will do it next week, knowing that we at are full time and will be waiting in the truck with 4 dogs and 4 cats. It should take an hour or two. REALLY IMPORTANT ABOUT FULL-TIME: Tell you insurance company! If you don’t and they find out, they will deny a claim and could even accuse you of insurance fraud. Not all carriers will insure FT but many will. Our total coverage is about the same as it was on our old house.
Good advice Angus. We will be within 20 miles of the dealer we purchased from only up to the 18th then we will be light years away from then on and will need to depend on, if need be, mobile techs. Was that awning recall just for certain models. We have not received a recall for that as of yet.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Good advice Angus. We will be within 20 miles of the dealer we purchased from only up to the 18th then we will be light years away from then on and will need to depend on, if need be, mobile techs. Was that awning recall just for certain models. We have not received a recall for that as of yet.

Al, based on your build date, I'll bet you are covered. Ours was built Sept. 2018. The recall #19V-173 was issued in March. And yours was built about Mid April, right?
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #20

So simple, stay a night every month at a nice Hotel..........nice treat! Go stay with assorted friends and family for a couple weeks a year.........you are now far from being "full timers"
There is no problem here..........no point creating one where one doesn't exist.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-time, warranty