Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

Angry Warranty issues - need help

We bought a 2019 5th wheel a year and a half ago so it is still under the 2-year warranty. Last September, we wanted to bring it to Jayce and have everything fixed by them. However, they told us we needed to bring it to a local dealer, of which there is only one certified in the state we currently live. It has been over 10 months and we still don't have our punch list done. They have caused more damage than they have fixed and Jayco has a policy of only talking to the dealer. The latest is that they did not connect all of the fresh water pipes after they replaced the countertop causing a leak that flooded and damaged the cabinets. They are not accepting responsibility.

We still have a warranty for 4-5 months with work that needs to be completed and a safety recall that needs to be done, but we don't trust the dealer to bring it back.

All of this to say, we are at the end of our rope. What are our options? Where can we turn for help?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #2

Have you contacted JAYCO again about the botched repairs?
Old 08-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you contacted JAYCO again about the botched repairs?
We contacted Jayce when we were charged for a part as part of a warranty repair. The dealer told us that one part was rejected and we would need to talk to Jayco. Jayco told us that they only talk to the dealer and do not talk to customers. Only the dealer could tell us why the part was not approved, which they failed to do by blaming Jayco.

Edit: We have not tried talking to Jayco again after the latest issue.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
We contacted Jayce when we were charged for a part as part of a warranty repair. The dealer told us that one part was rejected and we would need to talk to Jayco. Jayco told us that they only talk to the dealer and do not talk to customers. Only the dealer could tell us why the part was not approved, which they failed to do by blaming Jayco.

Edit: We have not tried talking to Jayco again after the latest issue.
I would not call but use their contact form that way you have a paper trail. Tell them about the botched repair as well as ask about the original charge.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
Old 08-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your dealership being so poor.

Definitely get a papertrail going.

I would so recommend contacting Jayco, via their online contact info. You do need your vin number.

Have any documentation of work the dealership was supposed to do?

Curiosity how did you find out about the big water leak from the disconnected pipe?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #6

Not abnormal to have an rv tied up for 10 months having warranty work done, even when not in Covid times. If they have paying work in the shop, they will focus on that. When you own an rv, you really ought to figure out how to do as much yourself.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Curiosity how did you find out about the big water leak from the disconnected pipe?
Water started leaking out from under the cabinets. It was not a small leak.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Not abnormal to have an rv tied up for 10 months having warranty work done, even when not in Covid times. If they have paying work in the shop, they will focus on that. When you own an rv, you really ought to figure out how to do as much yourself.
There were major issues that required replacing the door, the counter top, and the table. Yes, we could do the work, but if it is covered under warranty, why do those major jobs?
Old 08-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
There were major issues that required replacing the door, the counter top, and the table. Yes, we could do the work, but if it is covered under warranty, why do those major jobs?
Those are long lead items. They only make the number they have build orders for. Warranty ones, get tossed in as they are making that same rig. If it is all the components you mention, it might take a few productions to complete.

10 month was not normal pre covid. However there was talk about a few really bad dealers that dragged out some repairs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Those are long lead items. They only make the number they have build orders for. Warranty ones, get tossed in as they are making that same rig. If it is all the components you mention, it might take a few productions to complete.

10 month was not normal pre covid. However there was talk about a few really bad dealers that dragged out some repairs.
I am less concerned by the time and more concerned with the quality of work and the dealers ability to get things done after the parts are there.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #11

Jayco are you listening?

Quote:
We bought a 2019 5th wheel a year and a half ago so it is still under the 2-year warranty. Last September, we wanted to bring it to Jayce and have everything fixed by them. However, they told us we needed to bring it to a local dealer, of which there is only one certified in the state we currently live. It has been over 10 months and we still don't have our punch list done. They have caused more damage than they have fixed and Jayco has a policy of only talking to the dealer. The latest is that they did not connect all of the fresh water pipes after they replaced the countertop causing a leak that flooded and damaged the cabinets. They are not accepting responsibility.

We still have a warranty for 4-5 months with work that needs to be completed and a safety recall that needs to be done, but we don't trust the dealer to bring it back.

All of this to say, we are at the end of our rope. What are our options? Where can we turn for help?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
I am about to contact Ken Walters who is now the CEO of Jayco. I’m in a similar situation of their warranty department. If I do not get satisfaction from the CEO my next step is to contact channel 8 news in the Tampa Area and complain about all the warranty issues that are not being responded to by this company. Hopefully they are monitoring this website because this could get ugly. We all pay good money for a product that is manufactured to an expected quality. I along with others believe that the money paid does not their expectations. Long ago I purchased a forty foot motorhome from Country Coach. They are no longer in business for the same issues noted here.
Donwill327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwill327 View Post
I am about to contact Ken Walters who is now the CEO of Jayco. I’m in a similar situation of their warranty department. If I do not get satisfaction from the CEO my next step is to contact channel 8 news in the Tampa Area and complain about all the warranty issues that are not being responded to by this company. Hopefully they are monitoring this website because this could get ugly. We all pay good money for a product that is manufactured to an expected quality. I along with others believe that the money paid does not their expectations. Long ago I purchased a forty foot motorhome from Country Coach. They are no longer in business for the same issues noted here.
#1 JOF has no connection to JAYCO and from what I have gathered they DO NOT monitor the FORUM. 90% of warranty issues lie with the dealer since they are totally swamped due to the boom in sales. Don't forget all the dealers are independent..
Old 08-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #13

My issue is not with the dealer, the dealer in my case, RV One Superstore in Tampa has been more than responsive. The issue is at the corporate level.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
My issue is not with the dealer, the dealer in my case, RV One Superstore in Tampa has been more than responsive. The issue is at the corporate level.
In what way? JAYCO responds based on what the dealer tells them #1, also all components are warranted by the individual manufacturer. If you are waiting for parts, that is a known major problem that has been caused by the pandemic. I'm basing my comments on personal experience and recent discussions with dealer personnel.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #15

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
In what way? JAYCO responds based on what the dealer tells them #1, also all components are warranted by the individual manufacturer. If you are waiting for parts, that is a known major problem that has been caused by the pandemic. I'm basing my comments on personal experience and recent discussions with dealer personnel.
Hiere is the issue I also posted my comments about the issue two weeks ago and asked other Jayco owners to check their unit. I have a 2019 319MLOK that lost heating in the fifth wheel. Since the Jayco dealer in Sarasota was back logged and I was about to make a trip I called in a local repair company. They pulled the heater out from inside the sliding bay and noticed about a cup of water spilling out from the heater. After further inspection the exhaust pipe leading from the side wall outside the unit was facing down into the heater. Upon installing the heater at the factory they placed the hole too high above the heater. The wood bench was manufactured too low allowing wind and rain to enter the trailer through the manifold. Pictures along with the invoice from the contractor was sent to the local dealer in Tampa two weeks ago. They sent it to Jayco corporate who asked the local dealer for more pictures and diagnostic codes. Upon calling corporate they said my bill for $415.00 to the outside contractor would be reduced with no explanation. This indicated to me that they are accepting responsibility. Only to find out that they are pushing the blame off of the heater manufacturer. Who in my opinion has nothing to do with how they did the initial install. Blame game all around!
Old 08-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #16

I'm lost! If they covered your cost what is the issue?
Old 08-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #17

Simply put the Jayco company has not given the dealership authorization to repair!
Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Simply put the Jayco company has not given the dealership authorization to repair!
That is what takes so long, first they have to get warranty authorization, then they can finally order the parts, then when they come in they can start on the repair, but there is usually some wait time.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #19

How are things progressing? I would definitely continue to pressure Jayco via their web/email as well as the dealer. Have you looked into legal assistance or advice on this? Reach out to the local stations and see if they have a department that does stories about documented bad service by local businesses.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #20

Definitely feel for you, nothing but promises in the wind from dealers and manufacturers. I had many issue with a Jayco motorhome and this site did not offer much help especially from a couple of members who are not at all compassionate about such issues. We lost 40k on our motorhome and these smart Alec members could do was to blame me the owner. I think they get paid by Jayco, otherwise why would they be so rude. They are on this forum 24/7 monitoring bad publicity. Karma will catch up with them though.
Good luck friend.

Tags
dealer issues, quality, warranty, where to turn