Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #21

From my experience check the reviews posted for the dealers in question. If the local dealer has bad reviews for their service only buy there if they are the cheapest price. They will not take care of your problems anyway. That is the situation with our local dealer. They are nice folks to buy from but service after the sale is nonexistent. In the future I will buy from the cheapest place I can find what I want no matter the distance.

Here in Texas we have a law to protect the dealers that says only the local factory authorized dealer can perform warranty work. That means Jayco can't authorize anyone else to do the work. The exception of course if you are traveling from your local area then any Jayco dealer can do the work.

If you want to know if the local dealer will do warranty work if you buy elsewhere just give them a call. Tell them that you already have a unit that may need work and ask if they will help you. Their answer will tell you what you need to know.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #22

been there done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates55 View Post
I’m looking at ordering a 2020 North Point 375BHFS. My issue is the dealer closest to me (1 hour drive) is quoting me a price that’s $4,000 more than another dealer that’s a little farther away (1 & 45 minute) drive. Will all Jayco dealers honor the Jayco warranty or will they turn you away because you didn’t buy from them.

I’ve been told that you are required to take it to a Jayco dealer. There is a local RV shop in my hometown that is very reputable but I don’t think Jayco will allow them to repair things under warranty.

Please advise on your first hand experience. I hate to spend an extra $4,000 for the just in case I need warranty work done. .
already did the other place may not ask where got mine didn't they just want the business
ceschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #23

When I hear did you buy it hear I always respond with that's a violation of your franchise agreement. That usually stops them because the person asking doesn't know the answer. My Seneca is almost two years old and has never been back to a Jayco dealer. I've had a a/c unit replaced by an independent as well as a slide out controller. I have found a service manage in Brainerd MN I want to work with on my next issue, the rub bar under my living room slide. Believe me if I had away to life my slide I'd fix it myself. Jayco customer has been great to work with and they know the problems wr have with working with one of their dealers. Buying form a dealer does not insure good service.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #24

Have them match the price, there is a whole lot of markup on these things!

If they want the business they will....
jnunes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #25

They will turn you away if you don’t buy from them. The first question the service advisor will ask when you call for an appointment is “did you buy it from us?” Service departments are so busy, with waits up to several months for service, they don’t have time for units not bought from their store.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
When I hear did you buy it hear I always respond with that's a violation of your franchise agreement. That usually stops them because the person asking doesn't know the answer. My Seneca is almost two years old and has never been back to a Jayco dealer. I've had a a/c unit replaced by an independent as well as a slide out controller. I have found a service manage in Brainerd MN I want to work with on my next issue, the rub bar under my living room slide. Believe me if I had away to life my slide I'd fix it myself. Jayco customer has been great to work with and they know the problems wr have with working with one of their dealers. Buying form a dealer does not insure good service.
If you have never been back to a Jayco dealer since you bought your rig, when did you hear the question “did you buy it here?”
Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
From my experience check the reviews posted for the dealers in question. If the local dealer has bad reviews for their service only buy there if they are the cheapest price. They will not take care of your problems anyway. That is the situation with our local dealer. They are nice folks to buy from but service after the sale is nonexistent. In the future I will buy from the cheapest place I can find what I want no matter the distance.

Here in Texas we have a law to protect the dealers that says only the local factory authorized dealer can perform warranty work. That means Jayco can't authorize anyone else to do the work. The exception of course if you are traveling from your local area then any Jayco dealer can do the work.

If you want to know if the local dealer will do warranty work if you buy elsewhere just give them a call. Tell them that you already have a unit that may need work and ask if they will help you. Their answer will tell you what you need to know.
I bought my Jayco in Buda, Texas. Jayco did, in fact, authorize an independent mobile RV mechanic to work on my trailer while it was parked in San Marcos, Texas, because the dealer was booked up for months.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #28

All the dealers I've stopped at or called to ask questions about repairs. When my slide out controller went bad I was on my way to Alaska from Texas. Jayco dealers in Canada and the two in Alaska asked if I bought it there. An independent called Karen's RV in Anchorage they not only fix it but had the part in stock. I did have pay for it but Jayco reimbursed me. Jayco couldn't tell them where to find the controller an after looking for 3 hours they called me and I told them where it was. I confused you by not saying it's never been back for service but actually my Seneca has never been driven into a Jayco dealer since I bought it.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #29

Quote:
I’m looking at ordering a 2020 North Point 375BHFS. My issue is the dealer closest to me (1 hour drive) is quoting me a price that’s $4,000 more than another dealer that’s a little farther away (1 & 45 minute) drive. Will all Jayco dealers honor the Jayco warranty or will they turn you away because you didn’t buy from them.

I’ve been told that you are required to take it to a Jayco dealer. There is a local RV shop in my hometown that is very reputable but I don’t think Jayco will allow them to repair things under warranty.

Please advise on your first hand experience. I hate to spend an extra $4,000 for the just in case I need warranty work done. .

Our park model is just outside the selling dealers service are. We bought local to where we live. Out Jersey Shore campsite is 300+ miles from the selling dealer. The local Jayco dealer 30 min away flat out refused to service our unit. Jayco says they are not supposed to refuse, but were aware that it happens. Local companies will service the unit BUT require payment in full then they submit to Jayco warranty for reimbursement and pay you what Jayco pays. There ARE some parts of the service call that are not covered. A bit unclear on what that was, tried Pre approval estimate but did not get a Yes or NO got a "We will see"....I passed on the local RV dealer who would submit to Jayco with me paying in full then waiting for Jayco and them to reimburse me. I did have it serviced locally, Bill will get to Jayco shortly , hope they pay.... ZERO chance I will ever buy an extended warranty … Too much hassle...
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #30

I purchased my last 2 Jayco's at Dealers that were not near my home. Dealer near home 20 miles was much higher and not friendly. The other 2 dealers: 1st Jayco purchased 125 miles from home and 2nd Jayco purchased 250 miles from home have been great to work with. Yes, I do have to tow it that far but have had few problems with the Jayco's.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #31

No Service issues here

We own a Northpoint 377RLBH. We've always gone to the FL dealer we bought from because it was local. Though, there was a time that we were out of town in West Memphis, AR when we had an issue with our AC. We called Jayco with the name of a local mobile RV tech and they approved them to do the warranty work. We just paid their service call fee. The warranty dept was very helpful and friendly. So to answer your question you should be able to go through other dealers for warranty work. Call Jayco Service (800)283-8267, ask for their warranty dept. directly for them to locate a dealer for you that will do warranty work. I'm hearing they deal a lot with Camping World and Gander Mnt dealers for service work. We're in our third year with our rig and are very happy with Jayco's warranty service and response time.
MamaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #32

Quote:

Some will some won't. You can use an independent shop. I have. The money that Jayco/Lippert were willing to pay fit right in with the independent shops estimate. If the shop is willing to call Jayco they can get set up if they aren't already. Keep in mind that if their cost is over what Jayco will pay that you will have to make up the difference from what Jayco told me. The dealer does it for Jayco price.

I would also check to see what there shop turn around is. My salesman has been great at times helping but the dealer I bought from seems to always have at least a four week wait to get in and then three to four weeks before I get it back.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #33

Any “certified” Jayco dealer can do warranty work
hopelvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopelvn View Post
Any “certified” Jayco dealer can do warranty work
The question is "Will they?"

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
The question is "Will they?"

The bigger question is: How long will they make you wait to take care of the problem?
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
Old 09-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack1953 View Post
The bigger question is: How long will they make you wait to take care of the problem?
Will they work on it at all comes before how long will it take. Both are valid questions.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #37

I bought my camper 1200 miles away and had it delivered. I had a warranty problem, I called the dealer I purchased from and they said we will find you a local dealer and they will contact you. The next day a local dealer 50 miles away called me with an appointment at my convenience. Took it in and got it back in 1 week. The local dealer was family owned dealership and super nice and very helpful. I live in Tennessee and bought in North Dakota. Why you're wondering. The closest dealer that had the model I wanted was 600 miles away. The dealer in North Dakoda was $5,000.00 less. Jayco helped me find the dealers that had the model I bought. Guess I'm lucky to live in the south where it is second nature for people to take care of each other.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #38

Just had some work completed. Took 3 weeks. All stuff I should’ve/could’ve taken care of but figured it’s too hot to camp so I’ll let them do it. My dealer is only 15 minutes away.

I wish I’d just done it. My camper is a mess now from sitting out for three weeks. It was all simple stuff. Replaced staples with screws in wheel well aluminum, reversed high/low fan wires in thermostat, adjusted drawers so the soft close mechanism works correctly. One fix I’m not happy with, the pocket door on bathroom didn’t line up with the bumpers. It would slam into the counter top. They put a rubber door stop there. Looks awful and now there’s a screw into my countertop. If I’d done it myself, I’d have sourced some little clear bumpers and put them where needed. Not upset with the dealer. The tech meant well. Just not what I had in mind.

Do your own work. Save the warranty for big stuff. Slide work, suspension, AC units etc.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
I bought my camper 1200 miles away and had it delivered. I had a warranty problem, I called the dealer I purchased from and they said we will find you a local dealer and they will contact you. The next day a local dealer 50 miles away called me with an appointment at my convenience. Took it in and got it back in 1 week. The local dealer was family owned dealership and super nice and very helpful. I live in Tennessee and bought in North Dakota. Why you're wondering. The closest dealer that had the model I wanted was 600 miles away. The dealer in North Dakoda was $5,000.00 less. Jayco helped me find the dealers that had the model I bought. Guess I'm lucky to live in the south where it is second nature for people to take care of each other.

TnHiker, If you don't mind, where do you live in TN? I live in TN and the dealer I bought from was family owned but was bought out. A friend had bought one from them when they were family owned and the service was great. Not any more. My friend upgraded after I bought my first FW and he quit even going there because of the change in service.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
Old 09-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #40

We bought both our travel traveler and fifth wheel further than our closest dealer. And yes I have heard the pitch that if you dont buy from the local dealer then they may not do warranty work. I have found it to be totally untrue. The local guy has worked on both of our trailers. We now live 1300 miles from where we bought it. No problem with service at all.
Zuzieq981 is offline   Reply With Quote