Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 04:22 AM   #1

Warranty Service Question

I’m looking at ordering a 2020 North Point 375BHFS. My issue is the dealer closest to me (1 hour drive) is quoting me a price that’s $4,000 more than another dealer that’s a little farther away (1 & 45 minute) drive. Will all Jayco dealers honor the Jayco warranty or will they turn you away because you didn’t buy from them.

I’ve been told that you are required to take it to a Jayco dealer. There is a local RV shop in my hometown that is very reputable but I don’t think Jayco will allow them to repair things under warranty.

Please advise on your first hand experience. I hate to spend an extra $4,000 for the just in case I need warranty work done. .
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:42 AM   #2

You will need warranty work, no doubt there! Never owned an RV that didn't have warranty items.

Unlike automobile dealers, RV dealers don't have to provide you service. RV dealers aren't regulated by the manufacturer and do as they please. Taking it to a dealer you didn't buy from can be iffy. They may refuse. Mostly they put you at the bottom of the list and take care of their buying customers first. That said, your unit could sit there all summer. 4K is a lot, so I'd be pondering it too. I paid 2k extra to buy from a great family owned dealer that's 3 hours away vs my local corporate worthless dealer 45 minutes away. Never regretted that decision!

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:03 AM   #3

I have had multiple Jayco dealers refuse to do any work on my RV because I didnt buy it from them. Its a lousy set up in the industry. Hopefully your handy and dont have to deal with them.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

Save the money, not the time!

I tried to get repairs done at the dealership I purchased from: they were terrible. Then I went to the dealership closest to me, they did no work for 6 months. Then I drove to a dealership an hour away, they were the best, took care of me in two weeks, what had taken 8 months to TRY to get done.

TLDR; I'll drive a little further to save money, time and stress.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates55 View Post
There is a local RV shop in my hometown that is very reputable but I don’t think Jayco will allow them to repair things under warranty.
JAYCO does work with independent shops. You need to check with that shop and see if they ever have.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

I bought a 120 miles away, saved thousands. Warranty work is a camping experience. We find a campground near the dealer and explore while the warranty work is being completed.

1) Always tell them you will wait for the RV. This puts pressure on them to complete by the end of the work day. Be willing to spend an overnight in their parking lot if necessary. We have on more than one occasion. They are very nice people (It's why you bought there), yes we all make mistakes but their mistakes sometimes cost us time too.

2) Even if the dealer says "We don't need you to call" - work closely with Jayco, Garrard, Furrion, Lippert. Get a name, contact number, RA number, anything that will help complete the process in a one stop time frame.

3) When you are a waiting customer; The first time in is an inspection time (I.E. ordering parts) lots of problems can arise if left up to the dealer. Your rig does not need to be at the dealer all day. Due diligence dictate you should call the manufacture (later) to ensure this happens. Scheduling often takes 4-5 weeks, so be prepared.

Finally,

Remember the service writer is not the service repair man. Take the service writer out to the rig and demonstrate the problem. He/she will not normally perform a final inspection on a repair. Service has operating hours so ensure you arrive early enough to look at the repair, test, and then find someone to also review it if necessary.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #7

I was in a similar position where the dealership I bought from was 6 hours away; however, it was about $6K cheaper than the local consortium of dealerships.

This spring, the three Jayco dealers within an hour of me refused to take me on. I documented this and had a long discussion with Jayco that resulted in me getting an email saying that they would accept the local shop (I have one that has done great work on my old trailer over the years), and if warranty work is required, it would have to be documented and approved before starting.

This has worked well so far.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #8

Our selling dealer, RVOne in the Orlando area, is now 3 1/2 hours away. As much as people like to bash Camping World, the one in Pooler, GA 50 min away has been nice to us. They take us on time and know that we will be waiting with 4 cats and 4 dogs.

When our washing machine broke, Splendide dispatched a local tech who we had happened to have used (and liked) in our old stix and brix house.

Jayco backed us up with reimbursement after a local RV tech came to extend our bedroom slide.

When our water heater went, Dometic sent me the controller board directly to me under warranty after I explained that we were FT with pets and a dealer was not convenient.

Lippert has given me good advice and assistance on the phone with levelers. They are on the phone in minutes instead of over 40 min. waiting for a Jayco Rep.

We are scheduling work with our Orlando dealer in November only because we will be near central FLA anyway for fall and winter.

So yeah you can function without your selling dealer.

Also, we entered in to this caper with the full expectation that we would have to do some work ourselves. We go to Camping World only when Jayco insisted that work had to be done by a dealer because it was a safety recall and we get that.

You would think that any dealer would welcome a new customer as a potential repeat customer when trade-in time comes, but clearly they are not all that smart.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
You will need warranty work, no doubt there! Never owned an RV that didn't have warranty items.

Earl

I must be lucky. Neither of my Jaycos needed warranty work!
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Save the $6000 and buy from the cheaper dealer. IF u need warranty work and the local dealer won’t work on it, Jayco has been known to approve warranty work from non-Jayco shops.

Some on here post how even their local selling dealer can’t get to their warranty work in a reasonable time so again, save the money...

I drove from Maryland to upstate NY to save that kind of money when I bought my second camper.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Please advise on your first hand experience. I hate to spend an extra $4,000 for the just in case I need warranty work done. .
Save the money, even a better idea, go on RVtrader.com and search the lowest price in the country, take that print-out with you, and hammer the dealer for even more of a discount.

I did this, saved $3k more than I thought I would. I planned on doing most of the repairs on the rig anyway, so this added money gives me a cushion for any repairs.

Saving $4K will pay for many visits by a mobile RV tech, if needed. This is what you should do.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
jsk

Quote:
I’m looking at ordering a 2020 North Point 375BHFS. My issue is the dealer closest to me (1 hour drive) is quoting me a price that’s $4,000 more than another dealer that’s a little farther away (1 & 45 minute) drive. Will all Jayco dealers honor the Jayco warranty or will they turn you away because you didn’t buy from them.

I’ve been told that you are required to take it to a Jayco dealer. There is a local RV shop in my hometown that is very reputable but I don’t think Jayco will allow them to repair things under warranty.

. .

Do you mind sharing where the dealers are located? Our dealer offered the ‘Warranty Forever’ and that work does not have to be done by purchasing dealer. We have used it once to fix ac at no cost to us. We liked it because the Jayco warranty will expire.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #13

I ordered it from Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC. However, 007RV was a little cheaper but was a good bit further to drive to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Do you mind sharing where the dealers are located? Our dealer offered the ‘Warranty Forever’ and that work does not have to be done by purchasing dealer. We have used it once to fix ac at no cost to us. We liked it because the Jayco warranty will expire.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
jsk

Quote:
I ordered it from Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC. However, 007RV was a little cheaper but was a good bit further to drive to pick up.

Our experience in Rural Hall was excellent. The Raleigh store does our service and has not been the same as Rural Hall. I hope you have a good experience.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Our experience in Rural Hall was excellent. The Raleigh store does our service and has not been the same as Rural Hall. I hope you have a good experience.
We bought our Greyhawk from Plemmons in Raleigh. Our experiences with their service department have been very good. Our only complaint is that they are so busy that there is a six week backlog to get a unit into the service bay. I think that’s a result of the high sales volumes of recent years.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #16

We bought our Precept at a RVONE dealer two hours away from us to save between 5-6k. We have a local Jayco dealer that is pretty small and gave them an opportunity to at least come close to matching and they declined. We have used the local dealer for warranty work without any issues.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I think that’s a result of the high sales volumes of recent years.
As well as not enough qualified Technicians and shop space.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #18

In 2013 we purchased our TT from Dunap RV center in Lebanon Tn (where we live) I spent alot of time researching what we wanted, looking at prices around the different websites and getting quotes.. Once we deciced exactly what we wanted I went in to Dunlap and asked for the owner (Brad) I explained that we were from the area and would like to buy from him.. explained the different quotes I had (I added what I would consider a fair cost to us to pick up from a dealer away from us).. and said that because what we want in the trailer (Jayflight 26RKS) ... He looked at me and said.. since we were ordering the unit and were willing to wait.. he had no flooring costs and he met us with what I considered a very fair price... I have been and run businesses all my life and I understand they need to make a profit....

I will say the few times I had an issue they got me right in... and even now if I have an issue, they are very helpful and get us in...

Dunlap was sold I think lasts year... we went there today and for a dealer that was Jayco loyal now they have Huge Winnebago MH's, and other trailers I've never heard the name of... we were there for an hour today and never once did a sales person come out to talk to us... Amazing how things change with ownership changes.

We are thinking about upgrading to a little larger unit and perhaps an Eagle HT TT but first I need to address our Tow vehicle which is a GMC Sierra 2500hd with a gas 6.0 which pulls the 26' just fine... but, adding a couple of more thousand pounds concerns me.. SO I am trying to evaluate what a small upgrade might cost us overall :-) I wish Brad was still around, I"d be alot further on our path if he was there.. .he was a really good guy!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #19

Hi David, I am new to the forum. I long time great customer of mine made me aware of your post and thought I might like to respond. First off, thank you for your past business with Dunlap RV. Brad was a great guy and was definitely a customer advocate as I believe our entire organization is. When Brad retired and sold Dunlap RV to Family RV Group, which includes Colerain Family RV and Northside Family RV, we didn't want to change a thing with the business except try to grow and better it.
The three lines of towables that Dunlap had with Brad, Jayco, Highland Ridge and Starcraft are the same three lines we still have today. Brad also had Winnebago and Rev products of motorhomes when he sold the business. No brands have been added or subtracted since Brad retired a year and a half ago.
His two daughters, the sales manager, service manager, parts manager, the two office people, and many service and parts people are still with the company today.
With that being said, we would welcome the opportunity to help you today and in the future with your parts, service and purchasing needs. Please contact the sales manager, Darren Tucker, or feel free to contact me at sjung@familyrvgroup.com. We are here to help you. Just give us the chance to keep you local. Steve Jung
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #20

Jungle, thanks for the reply and the information... LOL, I use to stop in from time to time just to chat with Brad... I sure hope he is enjoying retirement.. he sure deserves it, he was quite the Gentleman... As I had said, when we bought our 26rks in 2013 they were still off 231 and the majority of units we had looked at was the Jayco, I don't think they had Highland Ridge but they may have had Starcraft.. I remember some of the Class C units ... but after our purchase we were not looking at product that much. I did get great service anytime we needed it.. but honestly our unit has been fairly good to us... Your parts guy that I have dealt with (can't remember his name, a real tall guy..and very helpful and always in a good mood)... he has always been happy to help....

I"m sure it being a holiday weekend had the staff hopping when we were in, and, we weren't needing any specifically... so we didn't feel slighted.. just a rarity at best.

After looking at some of the units and the weights we are going to go back and look at our Tow vehicle to see what is safe and with in the limits of the truck.. we went to Elkmont in the Smokey's a couple of weeks ago.. .it pulled fine until you hit the grades.. and, the unit we have is not really that heavy.

So, thanks again for the reply and jumping in... I now have a much better view of who Dunlap is and will do a little more research on our side.
Dave
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote