Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

Washer/Dryer, Who Has One?

Wife is really wanting a washer dryer in the rv, hates going to the laundromat. We love our Windjammer but no place to put one in there.

This is one of the reasons we're thinking about upgrading to a fifth wheel, there are other reasons also.

We've pretty much narrowed our search down to 2 jaycos, the 336fbok and 317rlok, and the open range light 293rls. All 3 have outside kitchens which we really like, mainly the outside fridge and tv. The open range is coming in a distant 3rd place, only considered if we can't afford either of the jaycos.

So I'm asking for washer dryer experiences, problems, how much do you like them, etc.

Thanks.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

I think that would require a combo unit which take several hours per load. We know one couple who does a load daily because of the time it takes.

We have the stack pair, which does have longer cycles, but you can at least dry a load while another load is washing.

Have you looked at the STARCRAFT FWs, they use seperate units, just not stacked.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think that would require a combo unit which take several hours per load. We know one couple who does a load daily because of the time it takes.

We have the stack pair, which does have longer cycles, but you can at least dry a load while another load is washing.

Have you looked at the STARCRAFT FWs, they use seperate units, just not stacked.
The 336fbok has a huge washer dryer closet which looks like it would take a stack unit, maybe that's why it's my wife's favorite fifth wheel of all of them.

The other 2 fifth wheels would require a combo unit I think.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Nearby dealer had a starcraft with seperate units, but over my hauling capabilities and $70,000. Also I can't find a unit on the starcraft website that has an outside kitchen.
I hate that too because I really like that dealer. I'd love to buy something else from him.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

My g/f and I have a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS on order. It has a place for a combo unit. We are pondering getting one. Currently there is a slightly used combo unit for sale near me for 200.00. It's the nonvented model which does take longer to dry but I don't need to put a big hole in the side of the trailer either. We wouldn't use it much. Figure a couple times a year. We both dislike laundry mats. Just nasty.
If you get a washer or combo unit, be sure to get the matching leak tray for it.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #6

When I bought my Seneca, it had a stacked washer/dryer in it. All available stock at my dealer had this option installed. I thought well I wouldn't order a unit with that option, didn't see the need. Since I was buying a unit on the lot, I got the washer/dryer.
Now I wouldn't buy a unit without one, works great when having four kids and lots of dirty clothes. We use the dryer for pool clothes and towels quite often, it has been great.
Fortunately we live in FL now, so don't worry about winterizing and dealing with another appliance requiring attention. I sure do miss the smell of antifreeze and raking the snow off the RV tent roof.......NOT!
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

This was the DW only request when we initially started looking for an RV. We bought a Pinnacle and had the dealer install a stackable unit. Granted they are a little smaller the household machines but perfect for us. It is so convenient to have and we would not RV without a W&D.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

Definitely the preference for DW has been the stacking set. The combo was not a favourite. Pre toddler we just used laundry services so we didn't have to wait around and lose time. We don't full time so we didn't want to do laundry mats. Post toddler the amount of laundry made the washer and dryer something we can't do without either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Do the math

Before you buy a washer and dryer, do the math at how many loads you would need to do to break even. I get that it is a pain to go to the laundromat, but it would take a person a long time to pay for itself. Just my two cents.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
Before you buy a washer and dryer, do the math at how many loads you would need to do to break even. I get that it is a pain to go to the laundromat, but it would take a person a long time to pay for itself. Just my two cents.

I don't think it ever pays for itself. Using the math for cost, loss of cargo capacity and loss of storage space, you get it purely for convenience. If you find yourself doing laundry often, it's very nice to have though.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #11

We have a 317RLOK and are also pondering a combo. We're familiar with the time it takes because of our trips to Europe, as thats typically what you will find in any apartments over there.

One thing to make sure of if you buy the 317 is make sure JAYCO put the "Put dryer vent here" sticker inside the cabinet before you take delivery. They didn't put one in ours and so far getting any help from them is worse than dealing with the VA. I call, they say "We will research it" and then never call back. Very frustrating. My dealer is 40 miles from the house and not an easy task to pull it over there.

The model we found thats going to fit is the Splendide WD2100XC. Its going to be tight but it's supposed to be to reduce movement.

Other than that, we absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our 317RLOK.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
We have a 317RLOK and are also pondering a combo. We're familiar with the time it takes because of our trips to Europe, as thats typically what you will find in any apartments over there.

One thing to make sure of if you buy the 317 is make sure JAYCO put the "Put dryer vent here" sticker inside the cabinet before you take delivery. They didn't put one in ours and so far getting any help from them is worse than dealing with the VA. I call, they say "We will research it" and then never call back. Very frustrating. My dealer is 40 miles from the house and not an easy task to pull it over there.

The model we found thats going to fit is the Splendide WD2100XC. Its going to be tight but it's supposed to be to reduce movement.

Other than that, we absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our 317RLOK.
Will there be room to close the closet door on it when it's not running so you don't have to look at it all the time?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
Will there be room to close the closet door on it when it's not running so you don't have to look at it all the time?
Actually, no, there isn't. The depth won't allow it so the door will have to come off. Thats a trade off we can live with as we're only in the BR to sleep so our eyes are closed 98% of the time!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
One thing to make sure of if you buy the 317 is make sure JAYCO put the "Put dryer vent here" sticker inside the cabinet before you take delivery. They didn't put one in ours .
Haven't seen that decal in any JAYCOs that we've looked out. For one thing it will depend on which w/d you buy, they are not standard.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
I'm not sure how someone puts a price tag on keeping a woman happy, especially since I'm not planning on doing the laundry.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #16

I have a Splendide combo in mine. Will likely never own another unit without. I like the fact that I can start a small load. Leave and come back to dried clothes. It's not like washing and drying at home but as long as you work within its capabilities and don't overload it works fine. It sure beats trips to the laundromat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Actually, no, there isn't. The depth won't allow it so the door will have to come off. Thats a trade off we can live with as we're only in the BR to sleep so our eyes are closed 98% of the time!
Thanks for all the info, you've told me more than hours of google searching did.

Wife really wants the stack unit anyway.

She also really wants the 336fbok.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay for it.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I have a Splendide combo in mine. Will likely never own another unit without. I like the fact that I can start a small load. Leave and come back to dried clothes. It's not like washing and drying at home but as long as you work within its capabilities and don't overload it works fine. It sure beats trips to the laundromat......
X2

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
My g/f and I have a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS on order. It has a place for a combo unit. We are pondering getting one. Currently there is a slightly used combo unit for sale near me for 200.00. It's the nonvented model which does take longer to dry but I don't need to put a big hole in the side of the trailer either. We wouldn't use it much. Figure a couple times a year. We both dislike laundry mats. Just nasty.
If you get a washer or combo unit, be sure to get the matching leak tray for it.

Earl
The non-vented unit uses a lot more water per load than the vented model since water is used in the drying process.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I have a Splendide combo in mine. Will likely never own another unit without. I like the fact that I can start a small load. Leave and come back to dried clothes. It's not like washing and drying at home but as long as you work within its capabilities and don't overload it works fine. It sure beats trips to the laundromat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
X2.

I use mine as a dirty hamper for all except whites. When it is full enough to run I run it and run whites when my built in hamper has a full washer load in it.

I full time and would not be without it. How long does it take to wash/dry? Who cares, I'm not sitting there watching it anyway.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote