Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Water freeze up maybe

Hello all,
I have a 2016 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS with the glacier package and I might be froze. My wife and I are at the Oklahoma State Kids Wrestling Tournament this weekend in OKC for our G-son. I filled the water tank before we left the house and planes on staying in the parking lot here at the arena. I had my generator going all night with the heater set at 69*. I got up this morning and it was a whopping 19*. Went to use the toilet and no water. Checked both sinks and shower also, no water. After flushing the toilet the water pump just continued to run. I turned the pump off and went cargo bay to check the water pump. The cargo bay was warm as expected but the water pump just runs like it lost prime. I guessing the pickup line from the water tank to the pump is froze or the pump just lost it's prime. It's 22* now and I just don't feel like dealing with it right now. It's suppose to be 70* by Wednesday so I'll just keep everything warm until then to see what's happens. If anyone has a suggestion please comment.
Thanks!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Maybe the suction line from the fresh water tank to the pump has frozen, as you suggested. If you have a hot air gun or hair dryer, you might be able to heat up that line enough to get the pump working again. By the way, hot air guns can make surfaces hot enough to catch fire, so be careful!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Ours has worked down to lower than that without a problem. Did your pump work OK when it was warm out? Did you check to make sure all the valves (two inside, one outside) were in the proper position? How much water is in the tank?

PS sometimes my water level gauge does not show correctly in cold weather. Don't know why..

If it was working fine before and now does not it means there is probably a leak somewhere.

If it has not worked on this trip at all have you checked the low point drain valves and the valves for injecting antifreeze (country fill valve)?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Maybe the suction line from the fresh water tank to the pump has frozen, as you suggested.....snip
I agree, high probability.

Open your fresh tank low point drain see if any water drains out (may confirm some freezing)......, and you can try priming your pump by using the winterizing suction tube drawing some water from a water bottle (open/close valves as required).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

Well here's what I did. I left the heater on during the two hour trip back home on Sunday. Time I arrived at home the temp rose to 40* which helped in thawing the ice blockage in my suction line. I checked the water tank drain line and it had also thawed out and the entire water tank had drained, I then rewinterized my 5er. Today I refilled my water tank, checked for leaks and none were found. I aligned the plumbing to use the water pump and all works like it should. This is a huge relief so I winterized everything again. My next trip is in two weeks to Las Vegas for the Nascar Races.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote