Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Water from pump and city water simultaneously

I am hoping someone has already done this... In my last 2 5ers I could use both the water pump and city water simultaneously. This is very nice when the park water pressure is a little low, and my wife wants to shower before I am out of bed. All she has to do is turn on the pump and she has great pressure. Now, I have to get out of bed and turn the valves on the water control center from city water to dry camping. We live full-time in a Jayco North Point 379DBFS.

I have no problem with modifying the PEX lines to do this. In our last rig I tapped into the PEX to install water filters and a softener in the basement.

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco North Point 379DBFS
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Diesel
Coddiwomple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

Why go through the plumbing hassle? If it were me I would just use the pump all the time. Have the city hooked up and ready to go but just use it to keep your tank full. You should only need to top off the tank every few days unless you like long showers.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #3

I do what Jim does. If we're in a park with low pressure, I just fill the fresh tank and keep the valves set that way.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Why go through the plumbing hassle? If it were me I would just use the pump all the time. Have the city hooked up and ready to go but just use it to keep your tank full. You should only need to top off the tank every few days unless you like long showers.
We have a washer/drier which is used a lot. My father-in-law lives with us, & we are taking care of a 13 month‐old grandchild for a month. I would be filling the tank daily, which would be 45 minutes to 1 hour without water while the tank is being filled. There are times when I leave it on the pump, but my wife hates to go out to switch it back to city water when I am not at home. It's like powered car windows - once you have them you don't want another car with manual crank windows.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:54 AM   #5

You should be able to fill the tank and continue using the water pump at the same time.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

Not understanding your plumbing. I too align mine for pump operation. Not turning on the pump unless needed. We normally run off the city water connection. And as you stated the DW will turn on the pump if required.

Why is special pex plumbing required?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
You should be able to fill the tank and continue using the water pump at the same time.
No, doesn't work that way . When filling tank there is no water to the house, only to the tank.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddiwomple View Post
No, doesn't work that way . When filling tank there is no water to the house, only to the tank.
That stinks. My tank will usually fill in less than 20 mins, so not really an issue. I've always been able to use the pump while filling on my previous units. Haven't tried on the Eagle. I've just filled it each evening when it's cold enough to freeze the hose when on city water. Hope you can get something figured out on your new unit.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

I do mostly dry camping and use my gen and shallow water pump to fill my tank from my river. We do not drink or cook with it. This summer I discovered when my valves are set for dry camping with pump off I get river water with gen and shallow water pump running. Turn off gen and just flip on FW water pump and now tank water. No longer going out to flip valves. Only valve flipping is to fill fresh tank. If I leave the FW pump on with gen running river shallow water pump I t will kick on to maintain a more constant pressure. Shallow well
Pump cycles on 25-55 psi.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Not understanding your plumbing. I too align mine for pump operation. Not turning on the pump unless needed. We normally run off the city water connection. And as you stated the DW will turn on the pump if required.

Why is special pex plumbing required?

Thanks. I hadn't tried that, as there is no check valve in my system, so when on pump, water is pumped back into the city water! I installed a shutoff valve, so have always turned off city water when using pump. I will be installing a check valve soon. Tried what you said, and can leave valve in dry camping position and also use city water. That's wonderful!
Old 11-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #11

Hopefully it works for u to, if not than I wonder if I got something broke. Lol
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water center, water control valve