Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
Ours must be different. I had a spider build a nest in the gas tube, puffed a flame on trying to start the WH and melted this 'heat' sensing fuse. I had no gas operation AND NO 110 operation until it was repaired.
I just learned this the hard way. Apparently this happens a lot. We were dry camping 2 weeks ago and went to turn on the propane water heater and no hot water. I opened up the water heater and a bunch of wires were burnt. I figured some of it out and called Camping World to see if they had any parts and the parts guy alerted me to the spider nest thing. What happens is that it blocks the flow of gas and ignites at the air vents further down the feed tube and then burns wires. Fortunately the link worked and shut off gas and kept my camper from catching fire. So off to camping World to pick up a new link and then Home Depot for different color wires, then back to the house for a soldering iron and .....in case that wouldn't work with a generator, i grabbed my GF's jewellery making butane soldering torch. Fortunately we were camping on the beach only 20 minutes from home so it was only a few hours of hunting and gathering. I clipped all of the burnt wires, soldered new wires in and put in the new fusible link......and took apart the burner and cleaned out the spider nest. It then fired right up and hot water for the week. Lessons learned; take apart the burner every spring and check for spider nests. Soldering with an Atlantic ocean breeze blowing is hard. Camping would really suck if I had to pay labor to have work done. Keep one of those links in the toolbox.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190608_101900.jpg   IMG_20190609_195837.jpg  
chesterBurnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #22

For others reading this in the future. I got a tip from a friend that is an RV mechanic. He suggested grinding down the opening of the socket to get rid of the bevel. The bevel is supposed to make it easier to get it on the nut, but it also makes it easier to slip off. If the socket opening is squared off, it won't slip.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #23

Check the controll board for a 2amp fuse gas works electric didnt
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote