Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Water Heater Problem

Just bought a 2000 Designer and can't figure out the water heater. There's a 110 volt switch near sink marked water and unmarked switch beside it, plus a red lighted switch on range hood marked heater. I see nothing marker gas. Any ideas?
mochastudebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

Are you sure the switch by the sink is a 110 volts switch? If it's 12 volts it may be for your water pump. Could the red lighted switch be for the electric heating element of your water heater?? Could your water heater have a manual pilot that has to be lit?

Regardless, make sure your water heater is filled with water before you try to use it, or damage may occur.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

The switch by sink is 110 and marked water heater. I'm not sure about the one beside it or or the red one, but there is no pilot or igniter at the tank. I'm guessing it's the red one for gas.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

You could turn the 110 switch off, turn the red switch on, and open the hot water taps. If the red one is it, the water heater should come on....
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Team

On my 2000 Eagle (the same year as your Designer), I have two sets of two switches- One set is in the bathroom above the sink and the other set is in the galley under the control center (the monitor for your fresh/gray/black tanks and battery).

One switch operates the water pump and the other is for operating the hot water heater (HWH) on gas. Both are 12V switches and have red indicator lights that illuminate in both the bathroom and galley when turned on from either location.

The switch for running the HWH on electric is on the HWH. If you open the inside access door for the HWH, you should see a small rectangular box attached to the side of the HWH and has an on/off rocker switch on the top. I can't say for sure, but being that the Designer series was Jayco's top-of-the-line trailer that year, they might have put the HWH's electric on/off switch in a more convenient location somewhere else in the trailer. For the real answer, contact Jayco Customer Support. They'll know.

According to my 2000 Eagle brochure, there were two HWH types offered on Eagles. Mine is the optional auto-ignition gas/electric. The standard was gas only with auto-ignition. Although the Designer series was a more upscale trailer than the Eagle that year, I have no documentation to determine what HWHs were standard/optional. Maybe someone else knows.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

I figured out that switch on range hood is gas water heater, unmarked one by 110 is for a light. Now when I turn on water heater on using gas or electric it will heat for a short time and then stop heating. Any ideas.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochastudebaker View Post
... Now when I turn on water heater on using gas or electric it will heat for a short time and then stop heating...
I know you've probably checked, but are you completely positive that your water heater tank is filled with water? One way to tell is to pressurize you system either with city water or your pump and open the temperature/pressure relief valve. Does water squirt out under pressure?

The reason I ask the above is that IF your tank were actually empty, it might act as yours is.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #8

The by-pass valve was open, I just missed it.