Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #1

Water Heater Thermostat Adjustment

Our Pinnacle has the Dometic GC10a-4e water heater. I checked the water temp and it must be set at 140 degrees. I would prefer to lower it to about 130 but can't see any way to do it. The manual says to adjust the temperature lever or knob depending on the model. I see nothing like that on ours. Any suggestions?

Also, yesterday I discovered we did not have hot water. It was set on electric only. No breakers were tripped so the power going to it was okay. I could not get it to work on gas either. Finally I pulled the 2 amp breaker on the circuit board to check it. It looked fine but I replaced it anyway. I tried it again on gas and it fired up. I am going to switch it back to electric today to see if it works. Any ideas on what could have happened and why?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Our Pinnacle has the Dometic GC10a-4e water heater. I checked the water temp and it must be set at 140 degrees. I would prefer to lower it to about 130 but can't see any way to do it. The manual says to adjust the temperature lever or knob depending on the model. I see nothing like that on ours. Any suggestions?

Also, yesterday I discovered we did not have hot water. It was set on electric only. No breakers were tripped so the power going to it was okay. I could not get it to work on gas either. Finally I pulled the 2 amp breaker on the circuit board to check it. It looked fine but I replaced it anyway. I tried it again on gas and it fired up. I am going to switch it back to electric today to see if it works. Any ideas on what could have happened and why?
It's on the back of a Dometic water heater I think you can buy lower ones
Attached Thumbnails
thermostat.jpg  
Old 09-10-2022, 09:22 AM   #3

I found this
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (238).jpg  
Old 09-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #4

Bill has the best solution but you can also buy different temperature fixed thermostats.

Pulling the fuse likely reset the circuit board making it operational again. Sometimes this digital stuff gets stuck in an unworkable mode and the only way to fix it is to power it down. Just like having to reboot your computer when it gets wonky.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post

Someone probably ran the heating element without water and needs to be replaced
Old 09-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Someone probably ran the heating element without water and needs to be replaced
Bill, I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened. I've been doing this a long time and before each trip I run water thru the system until the water heater is full and then add water to the fresh water tank. I did switch over to electric this morning and we have hot water. My guess is it was the circuit board and pulling the fuse reset it, maybe.

Thanks for the info on the t-stat. I have Dyer's in my favorites and have ordered from them before.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #7

Glad it's working, hopefully a new thermostat will work
Old 09-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #8

Still working this morning. We are camped at 8000 feet elevation and access to repair parts is kind of limited. We are here until the 6th of next month so I'm hoping for the best.

We had our prior fifth wheel for 7 years and I remember having to change out the circuit board on the water heater a couple of times. I'm wondering if they are an issue with the water heaters or if I just had bad luck. I'm considering getting a spare and maybe even a spare heating element but not sure if it is worth the expense as I don't know what parts are the most prone to failure.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #9

They say there is a spray for the board that will seal it from moisture, there is a thread on here somewhere