Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Water level of fresh water tank

My trailer is a 2017 - 29.5 BHDS. Up until now, I have only kept a little bit of water in the tank for quick restroom breaks while on our trip. However, I am going to need to fill it up for some stays coming up. My question is how do I know when it is full? Will it just stop taking water, or is there an overflow that will start spilling out on the ground when it is full?
tim665214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #2

My Greyhawk has an overflow on top of the tank, when its full, it spills out on the ground.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

All our trailers had an overflow

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

It'll come out the overflow when full. Mine will actually continue to flow and siphon a portion of the water back out of the tank through the flat rubber hose that sticks out the bottom. When it starts coming out I fold the pipe over and stuff it into the foam so I end up with a full tank and not 3/4
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Overflow

Great question. Overflow hoses should extend through the floor along the underneath side of the trailer.
NOT a gaurantee as sometimes the guy at the factory is asleep at the wheel when it comes his time to ensure fresh tank overflow hoses exit through underneath black corrugated plastic. Naw, that never happens. LOL.
Fill er up and wait to hear or see water coming out from underneath belly of trailer.
Good luck.
jimetcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Please pay attention when filling. If you are at a site with high water pressure you can overfill (bulge) the tank. The overflow and vent lines are not big enough to allow much water to leave the tank so it has no where to go.

If I start filling and have to walk away for a second I turn down the faucet to a lower flow rate.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

I believe most overflow tubes are on the back right like mine is. Fill your tank only at half open on your fill valve. This takes time but you can be doing other things while it's filling. When you see water coming out of your overflow turn the fill off. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes to let the tank settle. Your tank will syphon some water out, this to me is a design flaw. Refill your tank again but slowly and watch your overflow drain this time. As soon as the water starts coming out turn the fill off. I know this because I arrived at the camp site with only 2/3 of a tank. I learned this the hard way, so don't make my mistake. I always fill my tank this way an check my water level before I leave now. Good luck in your travels.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

We just use an egg timer so we do not make a big driveway mess!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #9

Just learned about about this. Arrived at 1 am and was at the fill station for 20 mins filling and filling and filling. No over flow, so I got worried and hopped in the rig and saw we were full. I immediately stopped and headed to our site. Ended up siphoning 1/3 - 1/2 of our water ☹️. Too bad we are already set up and only showing 1/3 tank after a quick set of dishes and a quick shower.

How does one fill a water tank manually? Luckily we are next to a water spout at athe state park.
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze108 View Post
How does one fill a water tank manually? Luckily we are next to a water spout at athe state park.
Usually you can use the winterize connection to pump from a portable container into the FW tank.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

Filling these Jayco fresh water tanks can be tricky. Your overflow tubes hang out the back right. Fill your tank and as soon as water starts coming out turn the fill off. Wait about 10 minutes after water stops pouring out. Check your water level, I bet you'll only have around 2/3 of a tank. I believe it's a design flaw because it siphons water out when it gets full. Open your fill again but only half way, and soon as it starts coming out turn off. Recheck your level, I bet you'll be full this time. I learned this the hard way, went to the campground with only 2/3 full of fresh water. Good luck and happy camping.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

Wouldn't you think Jayco would try to eliminate this common problem? They either don't get input about this or don't know how to remedy it? I can't think it would be too difficult to fix.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote