Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Water pressure

We are new to full-time living in an RV. We just bought a brand new 2021 Jayco Eagle fifth wheel. The water pressure in here is really terrible. I have one of those in-line water pressure regulators. I’d like to be able to remove it or increase the pressure. But I am not sure what the maximum actual water pressure that is safe to flow in this trailer is. Looking at the plumbing that they use in this trailer I can see that it’s basically the same thing that they used in my house. The Pex pipes in residential homes can actually go pretty high. (I researched this for our former house). So I’m wondering if I can go up to just 60 psi safely.

The main thing is the shower. I swapped out the original showerhead for one of those RV ones that’s made for low pressure. But it doesn’t seem to help that much. It’s still like you’re just getting sprinkled when you’re taking a shower. I wonder if it’s either the faucet that is constricting the flow or if the pressure in general is just too low.

The faucet that is in the shower now based on my research only has about a 2.2 gallons per minute flow. I can order one that has a 4 gallons per minute flow but I’m not sure if that will help if the water pressure from the city isn’t high enough with the regulator on it.

I know Jayco will say 40 psi to avoid warranty claims but 40 is just so low.

Anyone have any practical experience with this?
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

Hi, had the same issue. What fixed the issue was this. It regulates but does not restrict the flow. Bit more expensive but worth every penny! We keep it between 40-50 psi

https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...s%2C192&sr=8-6
Reese Goosebox
Pammac36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Most of the faucets, and the shower head, all seem to come with flow restriction devices, which is basically like a washer with just a small diameter hole in the center for the water to pass through. The first thing I did when my RV was new was to remove everyone of them. On the shower look for it in the hose from the faucet to the shower head, or in the shower head itself. Most all new water fixtures seem to come with restrictor in order to save the Planet! With no restrictions 40 psi should be enough for a good shower.

Do you have a water pressure gauge to see what the water pressure is coming out of the hose bib? Does the pressure improve while using the water pump? Campground pressures will vary from campground to campground...sometimes from site to site.

I also use a Renator M11 regulator.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Some campgrounds have very high pressure. Around Branson, Missouri we ran into 110 psi!!!! Warning at checkin said buy ours or have one or else!!
I protect my tt not my hose and it swelled to anaconda size, trailer protected with whole house regulator. Oh ya, hose rated to 110psi so it held.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #5

Another possible issue is in your water connection how many screen washers do you have?
Ran into this at a campground with sulphur water. The screens would partial clog which reduced flow. At the time I was running 3 screen washers.

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
I know Jayco will say 40 psi to avoid warranty claims but 40 is just so low.

Anyone have any practical experience with this?
I never ran with my regulator set below 55 psi, however I did have campgrounds that had lower pressure.

If you are using one of the cheaper in line regulators, they also restrict flow since they are usually 3/8" inside. I always modified a whole house 3/4" adjustable regulator and used it. The regulator and fittings are all available at HD or Lowes. Not cheap, but they last for years.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #7

Thanks all. I ordered a new pressure regulator with the gauge and adjustable pressure. I know there's no restrictor in the shower head as I bought one of those oxygenics ones that worked beautifully in my old trailer when we had high enough pressure. But the faucet in this shower is different and has this tiny little black fitting that the hose connects to. I can't imagine that enough water can flow through that to give the shower head enough pressure.

Will see what the new gauge does for me and go from there.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
But the faucet in this shower is different and has this tiny little black fitting that the hose connects to. I can't imagine that enough water can flow through that to give the shower head enough pressure.
Welcome to the JOF from New York State!

That connection to the hose is a combination water diverter (mixer) and vacuum breaker head. I don't think there's anything that can be done successfully to make it flow any better from right there. I had to replace that part of the faucet on our outside shower.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
always have the pump at 55 psi cutoff, be sure there are no dirt restriction at the tap discharge. (Put the spray-head in vinegar and clean with air)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #10

Good information.....

https://www.gillettesinterstaterv.co...ure-regulator/
Old 11-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

I run my regulator up to 65 psi with no problems....shower is great....my factory installed on board water pump says it is rated at 55 psi....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:04 AM   #12

I found a water restriction washer at the base of our shower hose and removed it at the same time we installed an Oxygenics RV shower head.

After I destroyed my Renator regulator in a hard freeze, I replaced it with a simple regulator that is hard-coded to 50-55 lbs. we have stayed at parks where the pressure varies by time of day or day of week depending on population. It’s just part of RV life.
-Angus
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

I felt the water pressure was low too and replaced the “free” regulator we were given when we purchased with an adjustable one like Pammac and noticed a noticeable improvement (not dramatic but noticeable). I’ve kept the setting at about 40 psi and it’s fine. We also use the Oxygenics shower head and think it’s great. Your problem may be more of a flow issue rather than pressure. Assembly debris or something similar may be restricting the water.
I probably stayed at the same CG as PaulB. 110 psi? “Yup, it’ll blow your hose right off the bib.”

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #14

We had the same issue with our Jayflight 34rsbs. The pressure was ok but not great. I had the standard "free" regulator. I bought a new high flow, high pressure one that works great. It really made a difference.

This is the one I use. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJJHI0..._zo.XFbCRYNGNB

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #15

I reread your post several times trying to see what your inlet pressure is. Not indicated anywhere. Buy a pressure gauge. Maybe you need a booster pump.
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #16

You could try with no regulator for a test. If pressure is good then replace the regulator. If not it could just be low pressure at the bib and there is nothing wrong on your end.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #17

Get a whole house regulator made for rvs. The "free" ones usually go bad and are non serviceable. The whole house ones are serviceable and come with a pressure gauge.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #18

We have been full timing now for 4 years. When we have low incoming pressure we fill up the water tank and use the on board water pump. Works great.
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #19

Would a water accumulator tank help? Those can be set to 35 psi or more. I think suggested RVs water pressure is 40 psi.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDug66 View Post
Would a water accumulator tank help? Those can be set to 35 psi or more. I think suggested RVs water pressure is 40 psi.
I really don't think a tank would help. As for pressure, the regulator I posted above is 55# with a higher flow rate. Any modern RV should handle that easily.

Jayflight 34RSBS