Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #1

Water pump turns itself on

2020 Eagle 321RSTS here with the BMPro tablet. We camp with city water, and the fresh water tank is left dry. Since starting the camping season, we have had the electric water pump turn itself on at random times when no one is anywhere near the system. Since the tank is empty, it never pressurizes and we hear it running until we shut it off at the tablet again. This happens almost every single trip.

Is something in our setup causing this to trigger (unit is new, and we do use a dial type pressure regulator on the campground water line)
OR
Is this a bug we need to get fixed under warranty? I'm about ready to find the wiring harness and unplug that pump since we have never dry camped. The fuse controls more than just the pump so I can't pull that.
Pamtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Just for clarification, the pump is turning on even when it is switched off?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #3

Exactly. Check it before going to bed, confirm it is off. Wake up in the middle of the night, hear a noise, check the tablet and it shows the water pump is turned on. Tap to turn it back off, pump sounds stop.

I'm in the habit of checking it on the display before bed every night because I know it turns on at least once a week and I don't know if the pump running in a dry tank will damage it.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Is there a switch by the Outdoor shower that has been turned on accidentally?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #5

That switch is off, but wouldn't that make the pump be on all the time? If I go out and toggle that shower pump switch, it lights up and is that same pump sound. I didn't check, but I would assume that if I used that mechanical switch to turn the pump on, that the inside display would show that same status?

This happens maybe once a week, particularly at night while we are sleeping. (if the resident skunk at our favorite campsite is pranking us by turning on the pump at 2 am cause we didn't leave trash out for her, I kinda don't want to know)

Is there anything "smart" in these systems that if it senses low pressure in city water that it turns itself on? Or is the pump totally separate from city water and only draws from the freshwater tank, and does not boost pressure for city water?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
Exactly. Check it before going to bed, confirm it is off. Wake up in the middle of the night, hear a noise, check the tablet and it shows the water pump is turned on. Tap to turn it back off, pump sounds stop.

I'm in the habit of checking it on the display before bed every night because I know it turns on at least once a week and I don't know if the pump running in a dry tank will damage it.
Running it dry will not damage it, especially short lengths of time.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #7

Contact your dealer and Jayco so it is noted as an issue while under warranty, and unplug it for now. It could burn up the pump motor if it engages while you are away from your camper for a few hours.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #8

I can't help with the BMPro issue but I noticed your comment about leaving the fresh water tank dry. We do not boondock either (not intentionally anyway) but we have noticed - much more than we would have expected - water supply failures. Either the well pump goes out or some knucklhead with a back-hoe...
So we travel always with 1/3 or so tank fresh. Easy to flip the valve in the basement and hit the switch.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
321rsts, water pump, water pump keeps running