Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Wax for 5th wheel

Wondering what others are using to wax or polish their trailers. Paste, liquid or spray. What doesn't affect the decals. What works best on the gel coat sides as well as the painted/clear coat front and rear caps.
eharris205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #2

I was directed to Meguire’s 56 by the dealership’s detail shop. I’m happy with the results but, would like to hear what others are using also.
Attached Thumbnails
955795B0-D364-44E7-AC4A-11299167BB3B.jpg  
jasonkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Fast, easy and lasting shine and protection.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/093...0&odnBg=FFFFFF
metromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #4

wax or polish

Remember there is a difference between a wax and polish. Wax will clean the surface and leave a shine. Polish will only leave a shine. When we lived full time on our sailboat I spoke with a guy that did boat detailing as a profession. His advise to me was to take the time to wax the boat first and then come back over the boat with a modern polymer polish. For the boat I used a marine polish and topped it off with REJEX, a brand of polymer polish. RVs are gelcoat like a boat. Just my two cents.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Be sure to do your home work on oil base wax & polish's. It's not good on vinyl decals fyi
frenchfrydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

I use
Meguiars D15601
routerguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

Nufinish using it for years, avoid the decals as much as possible and use 303 protectant on them. full time for 4 years in the Florida sun and decals and unit still look brand new.
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

I'll be applying Sonax Polymer Netshield this weekend.

It's aerosol, so very easy to apply, and it lasts at least 6 months. It's a sealant, so make sure the base surface is clean and smooth.

I use it on my cars and boat, and beading is incredible for much, much longer than any wax I've tried over the decades.

Technology!
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

It's always been Meguiars for us.

Most mobile RV washers/waxers that we've talked to who service RV Parks also use Meguiars.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Wax

Been using a Lucas product for a couple years. Apply it with micro fiber dust mop.Do not need a ladder much any more. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Lucas Wax.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

Wax for 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromike View Post
Fast, easy and lasting shine and protection.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/093...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

I use this as well. Works on all surfaces including glass and rubber. Also can be sprayed on while the vehicle is still wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #12

Don't laugh, A friend of mine that details campers and boats use's DEF high gloss floor polish!
Wash and dry it thoroughly and apply the wax with a sponge mop. 4 or 5 light coats and it will shine like brand new for months! It won't harm the gel coat and actually protects the decals etc.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

I had good luck with Poli Glo from Defender Marine (www.defender.com). About $65 for the kit. Did our 34' FW and used about half of the liquids. Coming up on a year and still looks good.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #14

Since your RV is probably gel coat (fiberglass) and not alum. I did research online and read and read many articles. The one wax that was highly recommended was Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus. Highly recommended by boat shops and boat owners. It is as name applies---a spray wax. Spray on and wipe off with micro cloth.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #15

So, just want to chime in one more time here.

As a long time car enthusiast, I've watched the "wax wars" for decades, and have experienced my share of mid end and high end brands.

Truth be told, wax based sealant is yesterday's technology.

Today, it's about a new breed of formulation, based on polymer and ceramic technology. These products match the best waxes in terms of gloss and blow them away in terms of ease of application and longevity.

More expensive per bottle, yes, but cheaper in terms of life cycle of application.

Truly evolutions in the field of paint and finish sealing. I urge you to try them!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
So, just want to chime in one more time here.

As a long time car enthusiast, I've watched the "wax wars" for decades, and have experienced my share of mid end and high end brands.

Truth be told, wax based sealant is yesterday's technology.

Today, it's about a new breed of formulation, based on polymer and ceramic technology. These products match the best waxes in terms of gloss and blow them away in terms of ease of application and longevity.

More expensive per bottle, yes, but cheaper in terms of life cycle of application.

Truly evolutions in the field of paint and finish sealing. I urge you to try them!
I agree that technology is the answer..would you be so kind as to suggest a couple brands that are proven for gelcoat and decals?
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsons View Post
I agree that technology is the answer..would you be so kind as to suggest a couple brands that are proven for gelcoat and decals?
Cheers
This is what I use:

Sonax Polymer Netshield
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #18

Thanks. Do you see any streaking or color variances with this? I have heard there could be drawbacks like this with some of the polymer based products.
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #19

Quote:

Cheers

Try the Meguiars synthetic xpress wax. It’s what I use. It’s well priced and you can apply it to pretty much any surface. Very easy to use. Spray on and wipe off. You can spray it on a wet vehicle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks. Do you see any streaking or color variances with this? I have heard there could be drawbacks like this with some of the polymer based products.
I could only see that happening if you apply it in direct sunlight on a hot surface. But then you just wipe more product on it to correct any streak.

I use this on the black hull of my boat, too, and I’ve never seen streaking. And that’s about the toughest test there is.

This stuff lasts months between applications, the beading is incredible. You can use it on glass, too.