Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

Dealership called the other day and said that Dexter had OKed rewireing the brakes and replacing magnets to fix my braking issue!!

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Dealership called the other day and said that Dexter had OKed rewireing the brakes and replacing magnets to fix my braking issue!!
They are doing the right thing. I am sure you will be happy soon.

BTW, don't forget that new shoes must be burnished in and your brakes will not be as great as they will be after going thru the process. Read about it in the Dexter manual. Most of us never have to do it because it has been towed new from the factory.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #13

I just picked up a 2013 Eagle 31.5 FBHS and also tow with a 2011 F250. When we did the orientation and walkthrough on my unit I noticed similar problems where the brake controller has to be set all the way to 10 and I still can't lock up the brakes. We even pulled the trailer slowly across the flat payment and yanked the cord on the emergency brake cable on the fifth wheel and the trailer just kept rolling, wheels didn't lock up. The Jayco dealer just told me that I shouldn't expect the brakes to lock up on such a large trailer. Should I go back and challenge them again and ask them to check for grease on the brake shoes? any advice here?
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Site Team

I would!.. I spent almost a year and a half fretting about mine. They should lock up on gravel, Don't let anyone tell you different.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #15

The problem is that everyone has a different interpretation of good brakes. Someone on this site gives you Dexter's axle manual. In it it gives the proper amps that each magnet should draw as well as voltage. With a multimeter, it's pretty easy to prove if there is a voltage or amperage issue. I fooled around for 18 months trying to convince myself that maybe the brakes weren't faulty. That maybe because the trailer was heavier, it wasn't suppose to react as rapidly. With the information that I got from dexters web site and my own amperage readings, the service department at my dealership quickly got on board that there really was a problem.
My suggestion is to get them to hook there tow vehicle up to your trailer and see if the trailer brakes will stop the rig by using only the trailer brakes. A lot of dealerships will pull the emergency switch and check each wheel to see if ther is any resistance. IF there is ANY resistance, they assume that the brakes are working correctly.
I'm certainly guilty of not reacting quick enough to a bad situation. If the trailer brakes alone won't stop both truck and trailer in a short distance, there's something wrong!!

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote