Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Wet Bolt Install

I just completed the install of a morryde wet bolt kit on my fifth wheel.
With 4 trips to AZ, CA, ID and then back to WI, plus numerous short trips in my area things weren't as worn as I would have thought.
The nylon bushings we're paper thin on one side, but did not come out in pieces as some folks have found.
I have a morryde 3000 equalizer on the trailer and that's where I had a few surprises. This unit has factory installed bronze bushings.
The water being thrown up by the tires seems to be a problem. The pivot bolt on both sides was caked with rust from the bolt and had to be driven out of the bushing. One shackle bolt was driven out with the bushing still attached. So much for non lubricated bronze bushings.
This is a project, but I hope the wet bolt will stop future problems.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #2

What sorts of jacks did you use to jack up your 5er? I've purchased the kit and plan to do the work this fall but I haven't purchased any jacks yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sean.harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #3

Do you have any pictures of this process?

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.harp View Post
What sorts of jacks did you use to jack up your 5er? I've purchased the kit and plan to do the work this fall but I haven't purchased any jacks yet.

look in the "jayco Mods" section for "BigJohnD's Mods...". He posted a series of helpful pictures and narrative of the process. I studied his posts quite a bit before undertaking the project.

The TT (or 5th) only needs to be lifted a few inches (4-ish).
I cut a BUNCH of 2x4's into 18" sections for cribbing and used a 20T bottle jack to lift each side and then supported it with HD Jack Stands. I put a 2x4 pad between the jack and frame to spread the load out a bit. Since I have a 5th I let the landing gear support the front and the 2x4 towers and jack stands were about 4' behind the rear axle. Note that the tires will still be on the ground.

Then using a floor jack (actually 2 floor jacks) I lifted an axle near the hub to get the tire off the ground and the wheel removed. The axle can then be lowered and will hang free of the ground.

Use the floor jacks (one on each side) to take the weight off the suspension so the shackles and their bolts can be removed. I worked on one end of the spring at a time.

I did one axle at a time but BigJohn did both at the same time and I think that would have been easier.

Having a second pair of hands was a help but I think I could have gotten it done by myself.

My 5th weighs a touch under 13K #'s so the 20T bottle jack was overkill but I selected it because it had a pretty long stroke.

I'd also read the wet bolt should be installed with the grease passage oriented to the side to make it easier to push grease thru.

Work slowly and carefully, these things are heavy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanks. My first steps will be acquiring the jacks, jack stands and finding some place level where I can do the work. The place where I have the 5er parked is gravel and not 100% level.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.harp View Post
Thanks. My first steps will be acquiring the jacks, jack stands and finding some place level where I can do the work. The place where I have the 5er parked is gravel and not 100% level.
I did my work in the storage lot which is part gravel, part mud (mostly mud).
I worried about the ground shifting under the weight but had no problems.

After that project I opened the drums to check/repack the bearings and used the same technique to lift the 5th and I posted some pics.
This is the link to my post: Up In The Air

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

I changed out from factory to wet bolt in an afternoon. Make sure you raise trailer high enough to work on but watch out for wiring, water and propane lines. Being on a level surface definitely make things easier.

Take your time, have a rubber mallet handy for the times you might need to tap a bushing in, and make sure you grease the new wet bolts when you complete one side (makes sure they are greased before you move on to the other side).

It does make the ride easier, smoother and quieter.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

I had a 10 ton bottle jack to raise the trailer. I then used 2 5 ton automotive style jack stands one located on the frame on each side of the tandem spring setup. I had two scissors style jacks to support the axles and help move the axles for removal and install of the wet bolt kit.
I did just one side of the trailer at a time, and it worked just fine. I did have the trailer hooked up to my truck for stability.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Where did you purchase your wet bolt kit Northern?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

I'll be 70 [hard for me to say] in Sept and feel like I've missed out on something important. I'm a good diy kind of mechanic and can repair or modify a lot of stuff myself with a little online research and a utube video. Have to admit that I have absolutely no idea what a "wet bolt" is and why anyone would install what ever it is.

I will feel enlightened if someone will answer this mystery.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Its a kit that contains new spring shackles and brass bushings and new bolts that have a zerk fitting in it that allows you to lube them with a grease gun.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

The stock bolts and shackles that come with the MORRyde 3000 are pretty cheap. Plastic bushings wear out. You can tell when you start to hear creaking and snapping when you level the trailer. It's the cheap bushings. Once they go, the thin stock shackles will fail next and it will be a huge repair bill. These give you years of solid service and you can grease them. I don't trust greaseless fittings in a part that really should be greased.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #13

Web bolts

I just completed the install of a MorRyde wet bolt kit on my fifth wheel and moved springs to lower holes. Unfortunately I was not on level ground and did one side at a time. Took a lot of time to align springs to lower hanger holes- a lot of trial and error. The suspension's equalizer on the lower wheel kept wanting to swing in opposite direction. The removal and replacement of the bushings, pressing the bolts with the ball joint C clamp was no problem.. I know some others lifted the tires off the ground with jacks under the axles and then jacked the frame- I was afraid of bending the axles ! I jacked the wheels off the ground with the Unijacks at the frame and bottle jacks under the axles. I also left 5er attached to truck.

If I had to do it again I would have help, definitely on a level solid surface.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #14

I ordered the wet bolt kit on amazon
Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

For those of you that have done the wet bolt upgrade, which part number did you get?

Mor-ryde U012-016 is the one for the CRE 3000 and states 2 ¼" shackles.

My shackles seem to be longer, which makes me think I should get U012-021, which states 3 1/8" shackles.

What did you use?
Old 08-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #16

At the risk of over simplifying it, a wet bolt system is like a bearing buddy for your spring shakle bolts. The have a grease fitting in the end and are drilled to allow you to grease the bushings.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #17

Mor-ryde U012-016 is the kit I used on my 5th wheel. Contact moryde, they have great customer service with your measurements.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #18

Wet Bolt Install

How often should you put grease in the zerk fittings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #19

I expect grease twice a year. I also expect to need to jack up from the frame when greasing so that all of the bolts will take grease. Had a problem getting one bolt to take grease on installation.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
For those of you that have done the wet bolt upgrade, which part number did you get?

Mor-ryde U012-016 is the one for the CRE 3000 and states 2 ¼" shackles.

My shackles seem to be longer, which makes me think I should get U012-021, which states 3 1/8" shackles.

What did you use?
Email Morryde with your make and model no.. They will advise which kit.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote