Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

Wet linen closet 29.5 BHOK

Anyone else have moisture in the carpet in bottom of their linen closet? Closet is in Front bedroom slide out. Completely dry around the entire slide, have slide awnings, other shelves and carpet on the bottom face of the wardrobe are dry as well.
Cannot figure it out, dealer is dumbfounded as well.
jafudge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #2

I’m experiencing the same thing. It’s more like condensation rather than a water leak. The carpet dries quickly after I open the closet door. Damp-rid to the rescue!
conocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #3

Dollar Tree sells a damp rid type buck for less than Home/Lowes do.

If you could get under it could you glue or attach some foam board under the area that pulls in moisture. You could also use a layer of Reflectix. It works great to block heat/cold and UV in storage and very durable. The cold attracts the moisture.

Alternative, pull up carpet and put a layer of insulation foam under it. Even a 1/4 inch would do.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conocean View Post
I’m experiencing the same thing. It’s more like condensation rather than a water leak. The carpet dries quickly after I open the closet door. Damp-rid to the rescue!
Yeah, it’s gotta be just condensation. Damp rid ordered.
Thank you
Old 11-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

Damp rid ordered.
Thank you
Old 11-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #6

Good ideas, roger. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #7

It would be a lot of condensation if the carpet is wet. What about under the other cabinets through out the rig.? Are you living in your 5ver? What is the outside conditions like, cold rainy, hot humid?

Water is the enemy of all rvs, and will kill them quickly. It is well worth investigating and resolving the root issue.

How handy are you? How comfortable are you on the roof? Personally, would go topside and inspect the slideout roof, both fully extended and closed. Might have a tear in the roof, or a gap in the caulking. Maybe a problem with the seal.

If you have that much condensation, might be worth running a dehumidifier.

Edit: do keep any roof vents open? I always leave my bathroom vent open. At minimum 1/2", year round. Moisture is attracted to the coolness. Having vent open provides a path for it to escape.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

Carpet appears to have light moisture on the top only. In other words, if it were water soaked then I would feel it when I push on the carpet. Carpet dries within 20-30 minutes with the closet door open. My RV is in the Everglades so I think its just condensation forming in a poorly insulated slide out.

I’ve inspected every inch of my slide, roller shade, rubber seals, etc from a ladder & from the roof. No issues found. It poured heavily twice the past 10 days when cold fronts blew thru & there was no moisture in that closet. I don’t keep my bathroom vent open but maybe thats a good idea?

Big trees were removed about 20’ away from my bedroom slide out recently. The trees gave me shade every day til approx 11am so its possible that the tree shade was causing morning condensation. I live part time in my RV so I’ll keep an eye on it & report back.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #9

Dollar Store Desicant is better than Damp Rid and way cheaper.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #10

I'm having a similar problem, I think, on my 27BH. I have front storage (outside access), and storage under the front queen. I had stored sheets/pillows under there, and I opened it today. The sheets and pillows were wet; front storage had a little wetness as well.

Edit: The storage under the front queen is scarcely opened, and hasn't been in quite some time. Here in Tennessee, we have literally dozens if not hundreds of WIDE temperature swings in a 6 month period.

There was no wetness on the door side of front storage. Also, and I think this is significant, the floor was perfectly dry on either side of the bed.

I'm hoping this means that it was likely condensation under the bed, and probably condensation on the front storage. I've inspected lights and that chest-high seam on the outside front (between fiberglass and diamond plate). Doesn't appear to have issues there.

Thoughts? I hate water intrusion in my camper!
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco 29.5 bhok