Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Member
 
bgelyhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 96
What a difference Disc Brakes make!

Just converted my 2016 Jayco 36RSQS Pinnacle from Electric Brakes to Disc Brakes. The difference in stopping the trailer is like night and day. While the Electric Brakes would slow the Pinnacle down, the Disc Brakes will stop it. My tow vehicle is a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SWD with a Duramax Diesel. As a result of the Disc Brake installation, I have changed my Trailer Brake Control from 8.5 to 5.5 to keep from sliding the trailer tires. I purchased the Performance Trailer Braking (PTB) Kit for my 7,000 lb Axles and John & Barbara Alinger installers for Performance Trailer Braking came to my 5th wheel and expertly installed the kit for me. PTB took my axle manufacturer and serial numbers and match the Disc Brakes to my axles. I have attached a few before and after pictures. They are heavy duty and also look good. The installed disc brakes make it easy to inspect for grease leaks on the rear seals and add a shot or two of grease annually. During installation, we found that both my right side wheels had leaked grease onto the electric brake shoes (scary). I would recommend Performance Trailer Braking system. If you will mention my name (Billy Ely Ė Birmingham, AL) when ordering your Performance Trailer Braking system, you will get a $50 discount.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5069.jpg   IMG_5070.jpg   IMG_5074.jpg   IMG_5081.jpg  
__________________

bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Magnolia Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Magnolia
Posts: 4,534
Congrats on the new stopping power! Makes you wonder how you ever managed to stop before with crappy drum brakes. Youíll never get another trailer without disc brakes now that you have them
__________________

__________________
2016 North Point 377 RLBH, with a few mods, disc brakes, shocks, Sailun g rated tires, wet bolts
2014 Ford F350 Platinum sold
2017 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, 6.7PSD, DRW, Trailer Saver BD3 hitch

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,747
Welcome to the disc club!


Earl
__________________
2017 Eagle 293RKDS, factory ordered, lots of mods and upgrades.
2018 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed SRW diesel 6spd Aisin 4wd Tradesman.
B&W Ram puck 5th wheel
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bruceton Mills
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
Just converted my 2016 Jayco 36RSQS Pinnacle from Electric Brakes to Disc Brakes. The difference in stopping the trailer is like night and day. While the Electric Brakes would slow the Pinnacle down, the Disc Brakes will stop it. My tow vehicle is a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SWD with a Duramax Diesel. As a result of the Disc Brake installation, I have changed my Trailer Brake Control from 8.5 to 5.5 to keep from sliding the trailer tires. I purchased the Performance Trailer Braking (PTB) Kit for my 7,000 lb Axles and John & Barbara Alinger installers for Performance Trailer Braking came to my 5th wheel and expertly installed the kit for me. PTB took my axle manufacturer and serial numbers and match the Disc Brakes to my axles. I have attached a few before and after pictures. They are heavy duty and also look good. The installed disc brakes make it easy to inspect for grease leaks on the rear seals and add a shot or two of grease annually. During installation, we found that both my right side wheels had leaked grease onto the electric brake shoes (scary). I would recommend Performance Trailer Braking system. If you will mention my name (Billy Ely Ė Birmingham, AL) when ordering your Performance Trailer Braking system, you will get a $50 discount.
How much$
Tony wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 66
If you don't mind.. what did it set you back ?
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Murff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,336
Cost Examples:

https://performancetrailerbraking.co...waAv9SEALw_wcB

Murf
__________________
Murff
2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Reese Steadi Flex WDH

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 86
Another welcome from the disc brake club. Had MorRyde install them when I had the suspension upgraded. Love them. One of the best investments ever!
__________________
2018 Pinnacle 36 KPTS, MorRyde 8K IS Suspension, Disc Brakes
2014 F-350 Dually, Diesel, rear air bags, Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver hitch
eharris205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 471
Am I reading that right at the tune of $2100??
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
DonaandDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingston
Posts: 1,181
Wow, I'm thinking there's a reason the auto industry went to disk brakes. For all those out there that keep those brake neck speeds. However for us that travel the slow lane, $2,100 will buy a lot of brake shoes.

__________________
Don & Donna Stout

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Magnolia Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Magnolia
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Wow, I'm thinking there's a reason the auto industry went to disk brakes. For all those out there that keep those brake neck speeds. However for us that travel the slow lane, $2,100 will buy a lot of brake shoes.





Itís difficult to convey just how much better the braking performance is with disc brakes. On lighter travel trailers or light fifth wheels, I may agree that the need to switch is questionable. But, for a heavy NP or Pinnacle, itís really needed.

Having said that, when towing, even in the slow lane, thereís always some jerk thatíll cut you off and make you have to do a panic stop. With the disc brakes, itís a lot less stressful. There will eventually come a time when you either get sick of constantly checking for grease contamination and adjusting the drum brakes or you try to make a panic stop and canít stop quite soon enough that youíll see you value (and need) for the conversion. For me, it was a safety decision.
__________________
2016 North Point 377 RLBH, with a few mods, disc brakes, shocks, Sailun g rated tires, wet bolts
2014 Ford F350 Platinum sold
2017 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, 6.7PSD, DRW, Trailer Saver BD3 hitch

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Am I reading that right at the tune of $2100??
That's just for the parts. If you have them installed the labor would be added which I really have no idea what they charge to install.
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Member
 
bgelyhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 96
Installation for my Disc Brakes was $1,000. I started to install it myself but was not comfortable with modifying the wiring to the Emergency Braking systems. I have had a few close calls with jerks cutting me off and slamming on their brakes, so the cost was piece of mind that I can stop that big Pinnacle and not just slow it down with electric brakes.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
Installation for my Disc Brakes was $1,000. I started to install it myself but was not comfortable with modifying the wiring to the Emergency Braking systems. I have had a few close calls with jerks cutting me off and slamming on their brakes, so the cost was piece of mind that I can stop that big Pinnacle and not just slow it down with electric brakes.
So about $3,200 for the entire project?
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Snellville
Posts: 15
I think I paid around between $2500 and $3000 for parts and labor. That seemed extremely affordable compared to a law suit after rear ending someone. I can pull our 5th wheel with confidence I can stop. I am a lot more relaxed driving. Worth every penny.
kevinjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #15
Member
 
basque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Omaha
Posts: 46
I would be interested in doing the install myself. Does anyone know who out there supplies parts. I have a Seismic 355 toyhauler, 7000 lb axles.
__________________
2016 Jayco Seismic Wave 355W Toy Hauler
2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali HD Crew Cab Diesel
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: bullhead city
Posts: 39
I converted over to disc last year. After a 10,000 mile trip cross country down to the keys I had come home and had the pinnacle serviced. Goin have the wheel bearings serviced. My mechanic told me that one side was full of grease and virtually non-operational. I kind of knew stopping power was minimal. I have a 3500 denali diesel dually, which has the stop. After a estimate of $1000 for a complete brake shop I decided to put the $1000 into new disc brakes. $3000 installed. Best investment EVER. Can now stop the whole rig just using the trailer brakes. Every big rig should have DISC. No and, ifs or buts. Just do it.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 113
Typically disc brakes work better. I think the reason that trailer brakes are less than adequate due to the lower quality items that all manufacturers put into their products, not just brakes, everywhere (They are trying to satisfy many different key items, and have to compromise in ALL). They would/could be better if they are sized correctly or just larger. There are still a few vehicles made (in 2019) with drum brakes, mostly trucks and economy small cars.
__________________
2015 Nissan Frontier SV CC 4WD
2014 Jayco Sport 8
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Magnolia Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Magnolia
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
I would be interested in doing the install myself. Does anyone know who out there supplies parts. I have a Seismic 355 toyhauler, 7000 lb axles.


I did the install myself on my North Point. Hereís where I got mine from. I also have 7000 lb axles.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	55476
__________________
2016 North Point 377 RLBH, with a few mods, disc brakes, shocks, Sailun g rated tires, wet bolts
2014 Ford F350 Platinum sold
2017 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, 6.7PSD, DRW, Trailer Saver BD3 hitch

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12
If you have lippert axels under warranty and the seals are blown call them before or after you have the work done. They authorized my repair and refunded 1500 ish of the disk break install. Worth the phone call if your seals are blown. Be sure to take lots of pictures and pictures of the axel stickers as well.
Jorddarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PORT ALBERNI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Am I reading that right at the tune of $2100??
$2100USD Per axle!!
__________________

GLENNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disc brakes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×