Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #1

What can I replace Useless outdoor kitchen grill

2017 jayco Eagle 29.5bhds outdoor kitchen. The grill is useless, still has the plastic on it from the factory. Has anyone replaced it with a drawer or anything that would make that space more useful. Thanks
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #2

I think most people make a slide on table top using the mounting rails on the outside of the RV... I too have two outside grills still in their original boxes in the garage - never opened...

In my case the POPUP window fabric was not very fa away from the side mounted grill. No way was I going to use a propane flame that close to the window fabric...

I use a stand alone COLEMAN two burner grill off to the side and have two folding table up against the side of the trailer on both sides of the entrance door.... Great place to sit my Cuisinart grind and brew bean coffee maker...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #3

Thank you I never even thought about that. Using the rails and making a small table would be great. I was hoping to be able to order a drawer to put there. On the other side there is a drawer but it’s a half inch bigger.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCamper View Post
Thank you I never even thought about that. Using the rails and making a small table would be great. I was hoping to be able to order a drawer to put there. On the other side there is a drawer but it’s a half inch bigger.
Hows the BLUE RIDGE looking... I have been sidetracked here for a year or so with my POPUP... Just now getting battery bank rebuilt... Like to camp up behind Harrisonburg along the wooded Virginia/West Virginia state line...

Love camping at Loft mtn and tent camping at Sherando Lake....

Use to run up and down the Blue Ridge camp sites... Otter Creek was always fun...

Hopefully I will get back in the grove here soon haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
2017 jayco Eagle 29.5bhds outdoor kitchen. The grill is useless, still has the plastic on it from the factory. Has anyone replaced it with a drawer or anything that would make that space more useful. Thanks
I took the grill out and built a drawer for it. Really comes in handy as we had the grill over a year and never used it.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

That’s more what I had in mind. How did you make it? Wood box or fabricate one? Did you use the existing rails?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
That’s more what I had in mind. How did you make it? Wood box or fabricate one? Did you use the existing rails?
I made a wood box the size of the grill. I made the drawer front an inch bigger and attached the drawer to the existing slides. Then I painted the drawer front black and it looks like it came that way. We have carried for years a 3 burner 39000 btu cook top and usually cook all our meals outside on that in cast iron frying pans and kettles. Food seems to taste so much better, so when we saw the 2017 317rlok with the outside kitchen (this model had burners) we decided that was the one for us. When we ordered and received our 2018 it came with a grill instead. I would have seen if I could have ordered a burner top to exchange the grill but it turned out it was much to high for my wife to use. I guess the one we had looked at had some kind of deck we were standing on because we really didn't notice a problem then. Had we known we might of ordered the 321rsts instead.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Good deal. Thank you. I use Colman grill much easier. It is a two burner I have the hose to hook it up to the FW just never use it.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Can you not purchase a drawer to replace it?
JRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #10

We have just made a deal for a 317RlOK. I have noticed many do not care for the outdoor grill, and have replaced it. Anyone enjoy using the grill, or have good experience with it? We have a 2 burner propane stove that we use for outdoor cooking with our old rig. I was thinking of passing that along, but may have to rethink that if the outdoor grill is not that useful.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #11

I read this thread Friday night and thought I need to do something with my grill. We used it on our first trip cooking steaks and burgers and the flames flaring up next to the camper walls with every grease dripping were pretty scary. We started carrying a portable Weber grill in the basement.

When I looked at the existing drawer I saw I could take out the cook surface with four screws and was then left with a metal drawer with no bottom or back. I cut a piece of masonite for the bottom and a piece of pine for the back and glued and screwed them together.

Then looking at how to hold it in place I realized the screws for the slide rails stick out inside the drawer, so I ripped some 3/4" x 3/4" pine strips and glued and screwed them to the sides of the masonite. I replaced the side rails screws with slightly longer screws that now screw into the 3/4" pine strips holding the insert in place.

Here is the insert being painted:

Here is the insert in the drawer:

Here is the drawer with some rubber matting in the bottom:

Here is the drawer with my grilling stuff in it:

If I ever sell the unit and the new owner wants the grill back they just remove the insert and drop the cook top back in.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 AM   #12

Scottenj, on my to do list. Maybe tomorrow if my Maxxair Deluxe doesn't come in before I get to it.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
Scottenj, on my to do list. Maybe tomorrow if my Maxxair Deluxe doesn't come in before I get to it.
Andy, pretty funny, I am waiting for a Maxxair to arrive too.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #14

Yeah, the factory bathroom fan crapped out our second trip. Not even messing with the dealership. I ordered the butyl tape, Dicor, Eternabond, and the fan. I'm actually more stoked about replacing the grill, lol.

CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, the factory bathroom fan crapped out our second trip. Not even messing with the dealership. I ordered the butyl tape, Dicor, Eternabond, and the fan. I'm actually more stoked about replacing the grill, lol.
I don't blame you, I expect the fan replacement to be kind of a pain with cleaning off all the old caulking. My grill insert only took a couple of hours and part of that was letting the paint dry, very easy to do.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #16

I'm hoping my fan won't be too bad, as the unit is almost new. But it'll be what it'll be.

CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
Old 05-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Andy, what brand fan did they put in your bathroom..............could it be a Ventline. They put one of those in my Pinnacle and it literally fell apart about a week ago. It's the lowest of the lower quality fans on the market today! I had a MaxxAir in my North Point. I shot off a letter to Jayco saying when I upgraded to the Pinnacle, I didn't expect to have lesser quality components then what I had in my North Point. I'm waiting to hear back from them.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #18

Great job will be doing the same to ours very soon.
pnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #19

Al, I don't know what brand it is, but it has one speed, is loud as hell, and the fan blade fell off on the second trip.

CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
Old 09-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #20

Scottenj I also did the same thing to my 2018 and I love the extra drawer space. We also removed the outside TV as we don’t use it often it freed up a lot of space on that counter
Wezee is offline   Reply With Quote