Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

What causes this and how can we make sure it doesn't happen again?

Folks, we had the front cap replaced on our 2012 HT 26.5 RLS this past fall and stored it on our driveway slab next to the house this winter. We had a great deal of cold weather along with snow that stuck around for quite a while followed by spring-like weather in March then winter again this past two weeks. When looking at the FW a while ago I noticed the "rub rail" under the overhand had come out of the track and was kinda hanging there. When I looked at it this morning, it was pretty solid, since it got down to 13 degrees this morning. I'll try to attach a picture or two so you can see what happened. I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm kinda thinking that they were a little less than generous when they replaced this "rub rail" after replacing the front cap, but they may not have done that, however, the "rub rail" didn't do this last year and we stored it in the same place. And, I don't think any animals were doing chin-ups on it during the winter.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	7447Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4296.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	7448
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Since it's pulled away at the corners I'd bet it's the cold weather causing the strip to shrink a bit. Don't know how to prevent this except maybe (as you point out) use a little more generous with the length.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Shrinkage! When installing those strips, they can not be stretched. I'm sure that it can be removed and reinstalled with no ill affect. May have to add a few inches or just replace the whole section.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

I'll probably call my dealer and see what he can do for me. I agree, it's probably shrinkage from stretching it too much when reinstalling the cap and related stuff. Not real thrilled about it, but it's not something to lose too much sleep over.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

Pulled Too Tight

I agree, the strip was pulled too tight when reinstalled. I have had the same thing happen with Class C motor homes at the same location, an inside curve. More than likely the repair shop tried to re-use the old strip and the new cap, which Jayco slightly restyled in 2013, was a little different in size. Aside from scrapping off the lap sealant at the ends, it's about a 15 min job to replace it. The main purpose of this strip is to hide the screw heads and keep at least some water away from the screws and screw holes. I have seen holes drilled on these strips when installed under the bed/bunk/cap to allow water to drip out and promote some air flow to try and keep things dry in that area.

If you don't mind me asking why was a 2-year old cap being replaced, workmanship or other? We just ordered our HT 235 RBS that has the same cap.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

When putting the FW up for the season last fall, noticed that the driver-side running light up high on the cap had a small crack. Took it to the dealer with a couple of other small little things and apparently Jayco decided to replace the cap rather than have it repaired. Don't know how it happened or why, but am glad Jayco stepped up and took care of it. I have a bunch of decals here at the house that I am trying to decide whether to put them on or not. Right now, I think I might just leave them off for a while.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Probably stress cracks, I'll have to keep an eye on mine when it arrives. Regarding the decals, if not applied properly, they will quickly peel around the edges. I would have them professionally applied in case there is a problem. Any good shop should guarantee the installation for at least a year. I have seen some posts on this forum about decal problems on Jaycos. It's not uncommon in the RV industery as our old Kodiak TT also had decal peeling problems within the first year. Thor replaced most of the decals under warranty. The replaced decals were almost two years old when we sold it and they were still in good condition. The surface has to be very clean and free of all dirt, wax and solvents the the decals to adhere properly. I am not sure if the cap has a gray gelcoat or the cap is painted. If painted a couple of weeks and a good washing is needed before the decals are applied. However, if painted it sounds like yours would be fine to have the decals applied by now. If it is a gelcoat, the decals can be applied at any time.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Move to a warmer climate will prevent that! :-)

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #9

You're right about moving to a warmer climate, but we have lived here in this climate for almost all of our lives and don't plan on moving. It's a lot less expensive to get the strip and replace it than sell our home, pack everything up and move somewhere just so I don't have to replace the trim once in a while. By the way, stopped by the dealer Saturday and they gave me the replacement strip under warranty, glad about that. They probably would have put it on, but I thought that pulling the FW 150 miles each way for that would have been a little overkill since my car gets about 35 mpg on the highway and towing the FW gets me about 11-12. Life's good, now if it would stop snowing here in town so I can get out and do some of this stuff to get ready for the season.