Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #1

Cool What is a complete PDI ?

So, you think you did a complete PDI. Ordered a 17 Pinnacle 37MDQS Aug 16 and picked it up 6 APR 17. Thought I did a complete PDI. Got it home and started to familiarize myself with the new unit. All was going well until I noticed a slight sound difference coming from the stereo unit in the main cabin. Speakers set on series "A" for main cabin listening I noticed when I adjusted the balance for Left and Right speakers that I did not have Left speakers. No issue with Series "B" bedroom or "C" outside speakers, those worked well. But, series "A" speakers, I only have Right side speakers. Second issue: Hot water. During the PDI I first started with using electric to heat the water as it takes a bit longer. Once the heating element brought the water up to just above luke warm, I transferred over to gas and brought it up to nice hot water. All is well RIGHT !!! Well once I got it home I did the normal thing and got water to it's hottest setting and was continuing to check things out when I noticed that the hot water in the shower was only spurting luke warm water. Now I have great hot water at the island sink and in the bathroom lav but only luke warm water coming out of the shower head. Pulled the inspection plate for lack of a better word and looked at the pex going up to the shower head. Due to it being pex, I cannot see how it is kinked or could be kinked in any way as it is a simple straight run up. Sent an e-mail to Jayco and am awaited to see what they say. 178 miles from my dealer so hoping Jayco gives me something easy to check. Morale of the story: Nothing is perfect so don't expect your PDI to be. My dealership is GREAT so I do not expect any issues with fixing the problems. Another day in the life.
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Is the water heater by-pass valve on.... ?
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

They wouldn't have any hot water anywhere if it was.

Our PDI lasted 4 hours and I still missed a few things.

For the OP's benefit, keep in mind you don't have to have your warranty work done at your purchasing dealer. Jayco is pretty flexible in letting you take your camper wherever you want for repairs.

Is this one of the tankless hot water heaters?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

I plan to do my PDI for most of the day. My dealer is 3 hours each way, so I don't need to find things once home. Also you need to find the cosmetic items before signing the paper that states "any cosmetic items will not be covered under warranty unless listed here". I've had dealers in the past try to get me to sign that paper before I even seen​ the trailer or vehicle.

It's also best to start with the unit inside and finish up outside. You'd be surprised what you can and don't see between being inside and out in the sun.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Negative, it is the old Atwood 10 gal
Old 04-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Take the shower head off and see if water flow is better. Might be trash in the line
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #7

Does your shower valve have one knob or two?

A lot of the one knob style are mixing valves that have a max temperature setting that can be adjusted. You would need to find instructions on that specific valve. Mine came way to cool for us as protection from scalding. We ended up calling Moen to get help.

On the speakers, check to see if the wire to the speakers is attached at all points if you can get to them. Maybe a bad switch, bad speaker, not my area of expertise.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

One valve knob. Was not aware of any temp setting in the valve. Interesting. I will place a call. Speakers, I have taken both down and did a tone test from the POS and NEG sides back to the stereo. I found tone on each side and a crossing tone on the POS side which I believe at this point there is a bad splice up in the ceiling where I cannot get to. I will continue to trace the hot water issue in the shower but will give up on the speaker issue. Thx Roger. SKI
Old 04-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
One valve knob. Was not aware of any temp setting in the valve. Interesting. I will place a call. Speakers, I have taken both down and did a tone test from the POS and NEG sides back to the stereo. I found tone on each side and a crossing tone on the POS side which I believe at this point there is a bad splice up in the ceiling where I cannot get to. I will continue to trace the hot water issue in the shower but will give up on the speaker issue. Thx Roger. SKI
Yes, I can confirm that single valves many times have this. The one in my shower (in the house) is like this and I had to make some adjustments because it wouldn't let 100% hot water through it. We have a tankless water heater in the house that we installed at the same time as the bath remodel and with a tankless system you want to run nearly 100% hot water a not mix in cold to be most efficient. With the older tank style water heaters you want to heat water much hotter than use so you can extend the usable hot water. Since a tankless system is unlimited, you don't have that issue.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #10

Yup.. We missed a couple of items during PDI also. We didn't notice a couple of things wrong until after delivery. The USB port in the kitchen was dead. We missed a small defect in the awning material that we didn't notice until a couple of weeks later. We also missed that the outside shower was plumbed backwards. Hot on the right, cold on the left. The furrion also crapped out after a couple of weeks, but did work at the PDI. The PDI can be overwhelming. It's filled with excitement, so I think it's easy for things to slip by. The good new was that nothing was a show stopper. We have an awesome dealer who traveled 130 miles (no charge) to our seasonal site and addressed ALL the issue in one shot.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #11

RogerR, thanks for the advice. It was exactly as you said. Once I took the handle/valve apart, I could see where and how to adjust the mixing flow. All is well and thanks again. SKIDAWG
Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

Complete PDI?

Didn't bother. I absolutely KNEW all about RV's before I signed the paperwork!

Paid for that mistake over most of the first summer.

Probably do it again. I just loved dismantling the propane side of the fridge 50 miles from civilization and singing all the hair off my right hand.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

I wished I had video taped their explanation of the winterization/bypass instructions and a couple of other things, after three months my CRS kicked in when I started to close it up.

Def. CRS can't remember stuff LOL
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Is there a society of inspectors where one can hire an expert to do the inspection? I'm not at all handy and would be happy to pay an expert to check it out for me. I'd tag along to learn everything but I'd prefer an independent expert eye to find problems and test systems.
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
Is there a society of inspectors where one can hire an expert to do the inspection? I'm not at all handy and would be happy to pay an expert to check it out for me. I'd tag along to learn everything but I'd prefer an independent expert eye to find problems and test systems.
Maybe see if there is another member here willing to help out or a member from another forum. There are some forums like this that specialize in a brand where others are not as brand specific. The thing is for the main stuff to look for, it is the same for every brand. There are only so many companies that make the appliances and you see the same names in all the brands. I don't know of any formal organization that offers a service like this. The bulk of my PDI was going over how things work like appliances but being most were virtually the same as our old camper we skipped over much of that. Once done with the walk through he started setting up our hitch while I went back checking the more cosmetic stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk