Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2022, 06:29 AM   #1

What is appropriate cost for storage?

Ideally we would like to park the camper next to our house but a recent quote for an RV Pad was 6 thousand (crushed asphalt) was more than expected. To avoid blowing our summer budget, it's better we resume this plan after we return from our Winter trip next year.

Now we're thinking about putting our 5th wheel into storage April through November. What should we expect to pay and are there things to avoid?
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
Ideally we would like to park the camper next to our house but a recent quote for an RV Pad was 6 thousand (crushed asphalt) was more than expected. To avoid blowing our summer budget, it's better we resume this plan after we return from our Winter trip next year.

Now we're thinking about putting our 5th wheel into storage April through November. What should we expect to pay and are there things to avoid?
Highly dependent on the cost of living in your area, the closer into town the facility is the more they're going to charge, covered will cost more, covered with electric even more. Is the facility secure? In our area ( DFW), a covered w/o electricity ranges from $150.00 to 250.00 per month. With electricity $200.00-$300.00. There are even some upscale facilities which go upwards of $400.00. Most facilities around here have a waiting list for covered stalls. You'll have to get on the phone and call around.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:57 AM   #3

When we were in Ohio a 40' space was $100.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #4

Is there excavating involved in your estimate? A super long approach?
$6K for crushed asphalt?
I put in a 60' parking space for our 5er, took 10 yards of crushed stone, IIRC around $360 delivered in MI, but I took 4" of sod out with a front end loader myself.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:57 AM   #5

I pay $75 per month.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #6

25-50 miles S of Cleveland, open air line up inside storage unit property perimeter fence: $45 to $100 per mo. Waiting lists. Most RV dealers have storage on their lots for similar prices. Least cost of them is the one you bought from. Anything else is more $$

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:39 AM   #7

In Rockport Texas an open but covered (pole barn style structure) 14'x40' storage space is going for roughly $150/month no power. But this area is typically higher due to it being close to the coastal waters. More remote areas should be under $100. I rented a space once couple years ago at an RV park that was not covered for $55/month no power. Other than not being covered the RV park storage spot was nice because if we were dry camping I could pay them (I think $25) to dump my tanks which was convenient. I'm sure now that spot is at least $70/month.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #8

In Bellingham for in large barn storage with no water or electricity I pay $3.00 per foot
Old 09-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #9

IF you have the room and access to store your RV on your own property, I would take that approach for many reasons, a few to start with.

Security - RV storage lots experience a significant amount of vandalism, theft and sometimes innocent accidents where someone runs into your RV.

Costs - Why pay rent on a space that you already have in your own property?

Access - You can easily go out and grab something from the RV when at home, but not so easy in a RV storage site.

Off Season Maintenance - You can plug your RV into your home power(extension cord) and keep your batteries maintained. A periodic check of things is easy at home, but not convenient when in a storage yard.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #10

$37 a month and it is close enough that I can see the locker lites after the leaves have fallen.
P.S. go to the p&z meeting before you to have dusk to dawn lites shining in your bedroom window at least 4 months a year.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:39 AM   #11

I pay $50/month with is dirt cheap where I live on the suburbs of Chicago. Most are about $100/month. I use a private person with a lot of property that has a dozen or so RVs on it. It's less than a mile from home and I drive by it several times per week.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #12

Just south of Denver metro area pay 85 month for an uncovered but fairly secure spot, someone lives on site as well

As far as your own space seems like a lot but I guess depending on how much prep work is needed that may be ok. I just did our driveway for 12k. It is 300 feet long avg 13 feet wide and 4 inches deep. There was already a dirt driveway in place. It required some grading work and used recycled asphalt 3/4 inch and down spread and rolled. Looks good so far but it has only been a month. Will see how it holds up over the long haul. Concrete was going to be upwards of 60k iirc, regular hot mix asphalt was going to be in the 40k range.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

The issue with RV storage in our area (San Francisco Bay Area) is finding it. Friends are driving a hour just to find space. Nothing under $155/month for an uncovered parking spot. Plus all of the issues listed above...
We had a backyard cement pad already (it was expensive to pour because grading was needed.) We added water and electrical hookups and a curbside dump drain (the sewer line is on the other side of our corner lot).
We have not regretted having our JayFlight travel trailer onsite. It's a guest room, my office when I need to get out of the house, we can do all maintenance and keep it all spiffy. We have an RV tech who makes housecalls
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:

We got fed up with the cost and inconvenience of storage, and bought a 50' X 25' storage condo, insulated and heated. Highest electric bill last winter was $68, and that was the month the temps hit -29. HOA fees are $250/year, which includes snow removal. Complex has common heated bathrooms with showers, and an RV washdown station with free power washer. Cost to us was $115k; new phase is selling at $140K from a waiting list. Useful for storing winter equipment in summer, and summer equipment in winter. I think these are getting very popular. Has worked out well for us.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
IF you have the room and access to store your RV on your own property, I would take that approach for many reasons, a few to start with.

Security - RV storage lots experience a significant amount of vandalism, theft and sometimes innocent accidents where someone runs into your RV.

Costs - Why pay rent on a space that you already have in your own property?

Access - You can easily go out and grab something from the RV when at home, but not so easy in a RV storage site.

Off Season Maintenance - You can plug your RV into your home power(extension cord) and keep your batteries maintained. A periodic check of things is easy at home, but not convenient when in a storage yard.

I totally agree! We pay around $90 mo. to park our 5'r in an open lot (no cover/electric). She gets rained on, hailed on, dirty, etc. Like an abused step-kid or something. If I wanted a "cover" (no electric), it's more like $250 mo. (Sigh) If I didn't live in an HOA, I'd try to find a way to park her next to the house.

We rented a place once that had a space w/30A hookups - totally awesome. Walk out of the garage and access the camper. Could have used a cover but it was a rent house, so I can't complain.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #16

Parking.

Quote:

We pay 615 to store inside. We used to pay 125 per month to store our trailer outside, but now we have them both inside the storage unit. If I had my choice, I’d put in the slab. Check to be sure your allowed to store your unit in your yard. I’d call another contractor as your estimate seems high for just a slab compared to what we have paid in the past. Just a hint from experience, run wires under your pad into an outdoor box so you can plug in, and think about extending your sewer line over to the side of the pad so you have a dump station. Make sure you meet the requirements of both your city, and your recreational unit. Good luck. If you do store, be sure the Company provides security and cameras.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #17

We did the same,we a 10x30 pad.. We did the squareing out the pad and digging it out. Framed it too. Our crushed asphalt cost us 250.00.
GP & GM HYBRID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #18

I’m at $200 for this. Kind of steep, but supply/demand and all that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	83984
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #19

There's a lot to consider.

Think it over and be creative! Good luck.
mojo3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Crushed stone here is cheap, it's the delivery fee that gets expensive. Our driveway is pea gravel, and I make a few trips from the gravel pit with a utility trailer when it needs freshening up. We're lucky to be able to keep it in the driveway, and our insurance company likes it too.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote