Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

What is the best GPS for 5th wheel Campers?

I bring this question up in this forum cause we are not class A users, we drive trucks and don’t have an in-dash built in GPS. I used Waze on my last trip over the Rockies. It worked fairly well, but it doesn’t have the ability to program size, height and length. It’s also useless for input if you don’t have cell coverage. It tried to send me through residential areas to avoid traffic, when in reality the traffic was easier. It sent me up a windy mountain road to save 5 minutes.

I see that Garmin has several different models. What do all of you use? I’m not looking for too complicated, I already have enough screens and technology to deal with. Something that realizes I’m 55’ long, 12 1/2’ tall with a limited turn radius. A plus would be friendly gas stations.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Traveling with a big RV is challenging. I have a Garmin RV GPS. It works but I don't like it all that much (but I wont leave home without it). It always seems to want to go the long way around. I use my phone a lot. I always try and check the route before I go. My wife will be on her phone with Waze on it.

When going somewhere new and unfamiliar I will also ask on RV.net Roads and Routes forum. I have always got good and very helpful information.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #3

garmin gps rv 760lmt
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
garmin gps rv 760lmt
We use the Garmin 760LMT. You can input the weight, length, height and traffic.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
garmin gps rv 760lmt
I believe that model was discontinued..

I have a RV770, it will allow all the size/specs for the OP's rig, and will give the appropirate warnings. It also gives locations of all fuel stations, campgrounds and other RV services, as well as all the normal navigation aids.

It also warns of curves and hills in the upcoming roadway.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #6

I tried the wife on the phone also. It works if you have cell coverage. When we were going across Utah and into Colorado it was sporadic at best. Waze only remembers when it had its last connection. It knows where you are and remembers your destination, but... If you wake up in a campground to drive to your next destination, no cell coverage and closed the app..... you better get out the Thomas guide. Cause Waze is useless. I’m hoping a layered approach will work. I bought the latest Rand McNally for a hard copy, have Waze, and looking for a good GPS that you can input trip plans into that will rely on satellite’s only, plus the RV specific benefits.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote