Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #1

What Is The Weakest Link?

From y'alls responses it sounds like we would probably go with a Eagle VS HT. I am a long time RVer and know of many problems that plague the industry in all brands. This is not a "let's bash Jayco" question, but if you were to ID the widest spread problem in the newer Eagle what would it be? Please be specific as to what Jayco can control.
SirCampsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Front cap oxidation, and the big kitchen slide. Those are the two biggest issues we have had. Jayco has fixed both under warranty for us. If you can move up to a trailer without the swinteck slide system would be well worth it. No real manual override on the swinteck. Rack and pinion style is much more robust on larger slides. Front cap is gelcoat and just seems its an industry issue. If not painted they oxidize.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #3

You mention the front cap and IF painted would help on oxidation. I read on the website "painted front cap"? Is it the paint as it appears it is painted?
SirCampsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

Our 2017 321rsts was gelcoat kinda a light gray with clear coat over it. Auto body shop has sanded painted with dupont commercial paint to match 3 coats plus 3 coats of dupont commercial clear coat. I just put 3-4coats of Meguires hydrophobic wax on it. It should last now. I waxed the gel coat but that did not stop the oxidation. It comes up from the gelcoat fiberglass. Only fix I know of is paint and then clearcoat then a good wax with UV protection and wax it regularly.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

I think the biggest problem that any trailer can have is water intrusion. A TINY leak can cause enough damage to require a replacement of an entire wall or roof. The leaks can originate in seams- where the walls and roof come together, or from roof items - skylight, air conditioner, vent, plumbing, antenna, etc. Anything that makes a hole in the roof (or side of the trailer such as windows, vents, clearance light, etc.) can be the source of a major problem.

If you will keep those items checked and in good repair, keep good tires on the trailer at the proper pressure and maintain wheel bearings, make sure lights and brakes work, you'll have a reasonably dependable vehicle.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCampsalot View Post
From y'alls responses it sounds like we would probably go with a Eagle VS HT. I am a long time RVer and know of many problems that plague the industry in all brands. This is not a "let's bash Jayco" question, but if you were to ID the widest spread problem in the newer Eagle what would it be? Please be specific as to what Jayco can control.
Communication and understanding complied with pure laziness;

1- Customers tell the service writers what is wrong.
2- Service writers are over loaded and tell the warranty department.
3- Warranty department have to many high school grads doing the grunt work.
4- Warranty department is not your service department, service writer has to communicate with both.
5- Managers do not communicate with the customer, resulting in several repeat visits.
6- Customers tell the service writers what is wrong.

A very vicious cycle ----

I have found that customer involvement with not only Jayco's warranty department but also with the appliance manufacture's is the key. Even if the dealer service writer says no need to call or no need for the customer to get involved.

Jayco has warranty department investigator's; Get their name, date, time, phone number, fax number, warranty claim or RA number. Same goes with Furrion, Gerrard, Lippert, …...

Dealer's selling the RV is what "you" agree upon.

Warranty repair is overloaded and undertrained.

Customers help, priceless...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote