Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #11

Steve, not to battle with you over the title "so-so hack" (I think its mine) but I just looked at your photos again and thought if that is a hack job than you're an awesome photographer.
While I was looking at them I was wondering about the red button thingy in your photos. It looks important and impressive. Is that part of the vacuum system, or is that some safety feature that I should have? (Please see photo below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	11155

===========
As for my stair project:
I will remove the luan wall and check behind the stairs. I thought I could get around it but from what Chuck wrote it sounds easy enough to do.
I was glad to read the area in your unit is a void - so I hope it'll be same for me.

I like the drop down stair idea for neatness. I had a similar thought: I wanted to make the treads lift up which might suit me better for easy access from above.
But I decided to keep it simple and just create a slide in space (and maybe I still hinge the tread for easy cleaning etc..).

BTW I only did the rendering because I put some cat ramps and ladders elsewhere and it was difficult to figure out but easy enough with a CAD program.

Thanks again for your reply,
Martin

2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5 RLTS
2012 F350 Diesel
mschuchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuchert View Post
Steve, not to battle with you over the title "so-so hack" (I think its mine) but I just looked at your photos again and thought if that is a hack job than you're an awesome photographer.
While I was looking at them I was wondering about the red button thingy in your photos. It looks important and impressive. Is that part of the vacuum system, or is that some safety feature that I should
easy enough to do.

That red thingy is a battery cutoff switch. I cut power from the batteries when not using the trailer and not plugged into shore power.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Great Idea ! (and CAD rendering). I would consider some sort of support under the tread. Since you are removing the riser, there is nothing to carry the weight on the front of the treads. I would guess the material of the tread is not sufficient to carry the weight. I would consider using either small cylindrical posts or run a couple 3/4" thick pieces of lumber perpendicular to the tread. You should still have enough room for shoes. (You probably already have a solution for this)
gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudde1251 View Post
Great Idea ! (and CAD rendering). I would consider some sort of support under the tread. Since you are removing the riser, there is nothing to carry the weight on the front of the treads. I would guess the material of the tread is not sufficient to carry the weight. I would consider using either small cylindrical posts or run a couple 3/4" thick pieces of lumber perpendicular to the tread. You should still have enough room for shoes. (You probably already have a solution for this)

A piece of angle iron may work too. But I would agree you may need some additional support unless you use something as thick as 1.5”
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #15

@gudde1251 and Jagiven

Thanks for your reply!

As for support, all I want to put under the tread is a wood board (riser) about 3/4" thick that runs the depth of the tread along the sides of the stairs (see rendering below). Those riser boards would basically hold the tread. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, but I could imagine to simply velcro the tread on the riser boards, for easy cleaning.

I also thought that a 3/4 inch thick tread would suffice as it only spans 26".

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-07.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	11665

BTW the reason for my putting the RV into CAD is not the steps, they are simple enough, but the cat ladder in the rear. It was a headache to figure out and it will be a big help for me to cut the pieces now even while the RV is still in storage. Here's a progress shot of the cat ladder. (I hope the cats get it)

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-08.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	11666

The cats can walk above our heads along the top trim of the slides. Here's a photo how it looks like while still under construction (no finish, no carpet clad) (see yellow arrows).

Name:	14-01 RVtrvl OH-FL (380).JPG
Views:	12
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	11667

They can also use the cat ladder that I'll put up above the stairs as shown on the next rendering. I had a ramp there, but the ramp was spanning in front of the hallway window; I didn't like that.

Name:	14-01-27 RV projects-09.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11668

(We got rid of our swivel chairs. The cats would have shredded them, and I hated the extra weight)

(Isn't it weird what people do to their RVs?)

Martin

2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5 RLTS
2012 F350 Diesel
mschuchert is offline   Reply With Quote