Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #1

What NOT to do.

Prepping for storage (winter). Removed the four 6 volt batteries and installed one 12 volt battery for landing gear retract and extend at storage. Before leaving house discovered BMPRO panel buttons did not work ( how do I get slides in ). Long story short, checked node main fuse and discovered 30amp fuse blown - replaced ( all is now good). Retracted gear and slides. Discovered power cord reel did not work. Took coach to storage. Returned and check all fuses in panel. All 3 reverse polarity 25 amp fuses blown, co/propane sensor 15 amp fuse blown, fridge/radio/ antenna 15 amp fuse blown. Before checking fuses thought power cord reel switch was bad but tested good. Replaced all fuses, ALL IS GOOD. The cause- installing battery cables backwards. DON'T DO THAT and don't ask how! The panel does not list the reverse polarity fuses, had to get that off schematics emailed to me from Jayco. 2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS. We call this a Darwin award!
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #2

I wish Jayco would clearly on mark the battery cables, as to which is positive and negative.

I installed yellow electrical tape to my leads and added a "+" or a "-" symbol to remind me which wire goes where.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #3

These are - red and black. The confusion was the battery not double checking the positive and negative posts.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

Unfortunately, I had the same senior moment this spring when I picked up my trailer from storage. I normally use two 6V batteries but brought a 12v battery for the trip home. In my defense, the post orientation is reversed between the two 6v and the 12v batteries. Fortunately, I only had to replace the reverse polarity and main 30A fuses.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
Prepping for storage (winter). Removed the four 6 volt batteries and installed one 12 volt battery for landing gear retract and extend at storage. Before leaving house discovered BMPRO panel buttons did not work ( how do I get slides in ). Long story short, checked node main fuse and discovered 30amp fuse blown - replaced ( all is now good). Retracted gear and slides. Discovered power cord reel did not work. Took coach to storage. Returned and check all fuses in panel. All 3 reverse polarity 25 amp fuses blown, co/propane sensor 15 amp fuse blown, fridge/radio/ antenna 15 amp fuse blown. Before checking fuses thought power cord reel switch was bad but tested good. Replaced all fuses, ALL IS GOOD. The cause- installing battery cables backwards. DON'T DO THAT and don't ask how! The panel does not list the reverse polarity fuses, had to get that off schematics emailed to me from Jayco. 2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS. We call this a Darwin award!
I am sure I am not mechanically inclined as you are, so last fall and the camper being new, found the batteries at over 200F one afternoon. Long story short, dealer paid for replacement batteries, 2 12V Interstate. I took about 10 pictures of the setup as I am sure I would have done the same. Electrical stuff will go over my head very quickly.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #6

on my unit...they did use red for + and Black for -

They also marked it positive at the battery end of the red and neg on the black end.

Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote