Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

What RV Roadside Assistance Service Have You Had the Best Experience With?

My wife and I are new to RV'ing and bought a fifth wheel just a year ago. We plan to start traveling heavily around the US in retirement.

We currently have Good Sam roadside assistance and I have read a few negative comments about them on this board. I am curious which service people feel is the best. We currently have AAA Premier for our cars.

The three RV roadside assistance options I am aware of are:

- Good Sam
- Coach-Net
- AAA Plus/Premier RV

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Monheganlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

My auto insurance includes roadside assistance. I have never used it. My parents had to. Their tv went on top of the flat bed. Tt, was hooked up to the lift. Hauled almost a 100 miles home. Dropped the tt off in the driveway. Then dropped off the tv, at the shop. Parent's had to pay the bill up front. Submitted the bill, and they were reimbursed in full.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 AM   #3

FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) is another one with roadside assistance. Some on the forum have their RSA plan.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

AAA RV has been very good to us. I'm kind of belt and suspenders because I've also used my USAA insurance roadside feature, also with great results.

Eventually it seems everyone has a horror story. Broke down in the wrong place at the wrong time with no provider in sight. I'm prepared in those cases to self rescue on my dime.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #5

have AAA broke down in AK, used the TV warranty tow service then called AAA, they wouldn't move just the RV they had to do both.. the guy already had my truck loaded so for $50 bucks he got me into a park nearby and towed me there waited for me to fill with water and parked it and then took my truck in to be fixed...

so I am not going to renew my AAA I am just going to give the truck driver some cash while the manufacture has towing available...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

We have AAA Premier RV and have had AAA for 30+ years. With that said, we have had great service in "bigger" cities but in "smaller" cities, they are not always capable of handing large rigs. We also have FMCA but keep forgetting about that one since we just joined last year. One issue we have had is the inconsistency of the customer service personnel. They do not understand about large vehicles (F450, what is that?) or a fifth wheel.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #7

Thanks! All very helpful. It seems like it is pretty much of a crapshoot. I suppose since we have already paid upfront for a year of Good Sam, we will stick with it and take our chances.
Monheganlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
CAG

I have had nothing but good luck from Good Sam. Granted, I have not had tows but rather tire changes with blowouts and they have been there in a reasonable time, changed the tire and sent me on my way.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

We have had GoodSam for years. Our experience has been great. Quick response on a couple of lock outs. Most impressed when our TT was in storage in a farmer's field. Went to retrieve it (in Central Ontario in Feb after an ice storm). I spent 2 days breaking up and shoveling ice covered snow (about 2" of ice over 6" of snow) out of the way in an attempt to get the TT out - without much luck. I didn't think GodSam would do anything in this instance as it wasn't a break down on the road - it is ROAD SIDE ASSITANCE. Called and asked and was surprise when they said I was entitled to an hour of towing service. There was one caution that, given the situation, if the towing rig got stuck trying to get me out, I would be on the hook for the extraction of the towing rig. They dispatched what I would call a small heavy tow rig. Had my truck and TT out in less than half an hour. I got the impression the tow operators were enjoying themselves as this was one extraction that was a little out of the ordinary and presented a bit of a challenge.

My recommendation goes to GoodSam. Haven't checked lately but when I was initially shopping, GoodSam was the least expensive of the options I was considering.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #10

It seems that many people go with one until they have a bad experience, then switch to another and continue to repeat the cycle.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It seems that many people go with one until they have a bad experience, then switch to another and continue to repeat the cycle.

Just like trucks and cars!!!!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote