Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Question What Stabilizers have you installed on your 5W or TT?

Based on my reading in this forum, it looks like adding stabilizers to my 5W will eliminate a lot of the shakes once in the CG.

There seems to be four popular brands: Steadyfast, JT's Strongarm, BAL LockArm, and Plugit Right.
I reckon each will do the basic job, but I would appreciate any quidance, suggestions, or preferences, particularly if you installed them yourself. As easy as all the vendors say it is?

I am leaning towards the BAL, but would really like to hear others' experiences. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

At the moment, the only stabilizing items on my 5er are my X chocks between the wheels. Adding them eliminated about 75% of the shaking in a CG. Have done quite a bit of research on construction and materials used in the brands you mention, and have concluded that all will do a good job, and have pretty much the same installation techniques. But Plug-It-Right seems to be a bit cheaper that the others, so this summer I will be buying a set of these and installing them. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

SteadyFast,x-chock,& some jack stands for axle area
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Just using the X-Chocks has worked fine for us.
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

I added pair of scissors jacks at the axle. It made a lot of difference.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

We have the Plug It Right Stabilizer's, little better price than some of the others we looked at, work great, very happy with them.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

I wonder if anyone has tried using the racheting tie-down straps form one wheel to another in an X pattern to add stability to the trailer....it may help and is something that most truck owners already carry.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We have the Plug It Right Stabilizer's, little better price than some of the others we looked at, work great, very happy with them.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

You can spend a few hundred bucks or you can do it on the cheap:

C-clamps and 2x4's. Works great and the price is right.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #9

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the Steadyfast stabilizers. I have to admit that I do like the simplicity of the 2x4 and clamps, but as time goes on there seem to be more and more things to set-up, and as time goes on I get older and want to do less. I like the 3 big wing nuts instead of the multiple locking bolts of other brands.

Looking forward to our first outing in April to give them a test.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #10

I fabricated a set of JT's and have an extra pair of scissor jacks just behind the rear axle. You can dance inside mine and it doesn't move. The extra scissor jacks helped, but it wasn't until I installed the JT's that the sway was completely gone.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #11

i just installed the steadyfast stabilizers on our 5th wheel today they really do stop just about all the movement cant wait to try them out next week:hihi:
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
i just installed the steadyfast stabilizers on our 5th wheel today
Garfield: How long did it take to install the Steadyfast stabilizers? How many cross bars did you install? Anything to beware of?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #13

JT's, BAL X-chocks and scizzors behind my axels due to length. You will never take it all out unless you really do some blocking but it's a very noticiable difference in the reduction of movement. I would say 95% less unless one of my kids jumps from the top bunk.

One smaller, but noticable improvement also is having the steps supported. One it helps keep them in shape but it also reduces the torque felt by coming in and out. I went with the self contained Camco screw type.

As far as install goes, drilling into the frame is easier if you have a very good bit. Do not skimp on the bit when you go to install whatever brand you choose.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

I'm old school in that I still use a king pin tripod.
That plus a set of Bal X-chocks have significantly reduced the shakes for me.

Let's see...2 2X4s and 4 C-clamps...I may have to explore that! Could take it a step further and paint the 2X4s to give it a store-bought look! (Not trying to poke fun at this set up because it is quite ingenious, Bigfoot!)

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

Yeah, I've thought about painting them but that would take away from the minimalist approach. :-)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

it took just under 3 hours, the directions were very good ,make sure you have a new drill bit it comes with one but using a smaller bit for a pilot hole helps also if you have an air ratchet it make bolting to the i beams a whole lot easier. also check to make sure there is nothing in the way of the arms when you raise the jacks, the steady fast has 3 cross bars and only the 3 nuts to tighten
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #17

All of the products (including the 2x4 and C-clamps! ) mentioned seemed to do the job from the reports made so far. I am leaning to ordering the SteadyFast for two reasons:
(1) there are only three clamps to tighten or loosen, meaning less to do on setup and teardown, and
(2) it just seems logically stronger to anchor the brace to a footplate rather than the landing gear or scissor jack itself. (Maybe no difference, but certainly no weaker.)
One thing for sure, everyone agrees that anything is better than nothing if the s-h-a-k-i-n-g bothers you. Really do appreciate all the comments from everyone!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #18

My Steadyfast's just arrived today. I have only opened the box, but everything is well packed with each foot in an individual box packed with other essential parts. Still have to plan the install, but the provided instructions seem well documented with illustrations which is nice for us guys

I opted for the package with 4 feet, just to be uniform. No sense having an expensive 5th and then have it mismatched! I am looking forward to installing, and it's maiden run later in the month.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

Hopefully I'll put the stabilizers on tomorrow. 5 days after posting the above, I had a near fatal accident. While I am still recovering, I *think* that I'm well enough to get the stabilizers on. Haven't made it out camping yet, hoping that July I'll be recovered enough to go out. Really itching to get out too...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #20

Second set of SteadyFast for me.

We just picked up our new to us 2011 Pinnacle 35Lkts this week and ordered the SteadyFast stabilizers last night. This is my second set.

The 5'ver we sold was a 2011 Keystone Raptor toy hauler that I also installed the SteadyFast stabilizers on. During a one night stop in Williams, AZ it blew like crazy but you wouldn't know it inside the fifth wheel. The SteadFast system is strong and extremely simple to set up, though it probable takes bit more time to install then some of the other brands. When you get to camp you simply turn three large knobs/handles by hand and you're done. As simple as a 30 to 40 second walk around the coach to tighten or release three knobs.

I opted to keep all landing pads the same so order two additional pads.

There are several options and costs to stabilize your rig and SteadyFast is a pretty good one.
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote