Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

What will Jayco do with my tire blowouts

Last week we were just crossing the bridge at the Hoover dam and one of the Towmax tires blew out. I had just checked the tires that morning and they looked good. We limped of the highway to an exit and changed the tire. Got back on the highway went a couple miles at reduced speed and another tire on the opposite side blew. Now we are a few miles from an exit without a spare. To make a long story short we made it to an exit and spent the night in a gas station lot in Henderson AZ.
The next day we tried to find an RV dealer to give us some help as we also lost the brake wiring. Not a dealer in the Las Vegas could help us for a week. We did find a Superior Tire dealer in Henderson that went out of his way to get us going. He found us some Goodyear tires and had them in the store by the time I got there with a rim. We got the RV to his shop and had the tires on and had a tech that knows electric brakes and rewired them in a few hours. The tire dealer advised me to keep the old tire carcass for any warranty claim. Good advice.
I called Jayco as the RV is still under warranty and asked what I should do with the tires. They said contact a Towmax dealer. Come to find out there was not one tire dealer that was listed for Towmax in the Las Vegas area that would claim they were a dealer. I called Jayco again and told them this and they said to drop the old tires off at a Jayco dealer and have them shipped back to Jayco. They needed the carcass for a claim.
Now I wonder what Jayco is going to do with the tires and what type of settlement will develop. The tires had about 2000 miles on them and were inflated to 80 PSI. I also have a tire monitoring system and all seemed well before the blowouts.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #2

It appears that your trailer tires is in the neighborhood of 2 years old or older. (Look at the date on the sidewall). Jayco will do nothing because its not Jayco's tires. They will turn it over to towmax who in all likelihood will do nothing. Getting any kind of warranty on a 2 year old tire is going to be tough. My advice is to go buy the best quality tires that you can find and not spend much time on trying to get warranty on the old ones. Live and learn!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

Keep on Jayco and e-mail to document everything or know the person you are talking with in the event of a phone call.

Jayco stepped up for me on the claim when my tires were failing. I did not deal with Towmax at all. Keep all your receipts as you will need them. It might take time, but if your persistent it should reward you.

For now get back to camping and perhaps down the line something will happen for your trouble.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #4

I didn't even bother trying to get anything done when the Towmax tires started failing on my Jayco last year. I just bought four new Maxxis tires and went on about my business.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I didn't even bother trying to get anything done when the Towmax tires started failing on my Jayco last year. I just bought four new Maxxis tires and went on about my business.
How are the Maxxis holding up for you? I am heading to Mrytle Beach next week and was real nervous about taking another trip with my 3 yr old Towmax after everything I have read. Late yesterday afternoon I placed and order with Discount Tire Direct for aluminum rims mounted and balanced with Maxxis M8008. I received UPS emails this morning that delivery is coming tomorrow. Hopefully all is well, and tires are not that outdated. Curious about your Maxxis, hopefully I made the right decision.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Glad Jayco is stepping up to the plate. Please let us know what the outcome is.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

It going to be be tough to prove the tires were not under or over inflated or that the 5er was not overloaded (especially since there were two blow outs). So, I'm guessing that if you get any remuneration, you will be fortunate.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
How are the Maxxis holding up for you? I am heading to Mrytle Beach next week and was real nervous about taking another trip with my 3 yr old Towmax after everything I have read. Late yesterday afternoon I placed and order with Discount Tire Direct for aluminum rims mounted and balanced with Maxxis M8008. I received UPS emails this morning that delivery is coming tomorrow. Hopefully all is well, and tires are not that outdated. Curious about your Maxxis, hopefully I made the right decision.

So far, so good on the Maxxis. They've only been on there about a year and I've got maybe a thousand miles on them.

My Towmax tires started coming apart with less than two years and 2,000 miles on them. On my trip to Texas Motor Speedway last April, I noticed in my rear view mirror when I turned a corner that one of the Towmax tires on the left had badly separated. I immediately detoured to Discount Tire and replaced the two on that side. They only had two in stock. When I arrived back home at the end of that weekend, one of the tires on the other side was losing air. The tread had come apart on it. I ordered two more Maxxis tires from Discount Tires online and installed those before my next trip. The two that hadn't "failed" had that classic bulge in the tread. They were just blowouts waiting to happen. I felt fortunate to have caught the two that I did when I did.

I really wanted to put LT tires on my camper, but based on the weight of the trailer and the difference in the load rating between ST and LT of the same size, I was afraid to do so. I bought the Maxxis based on the feedback I received here and on other sites. I'm hoping they'll prove to be better tires than the Towmax tires were.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
So far, so good on the Maxxis. They've only been on there about a year and I've got maybe a thousand miles on them.

My Towmax tires started coming apart with less than two years and 2,000 miles on them. On my trip to Texas Motor Speedway last April, I noticed in my rear view mirror when I turned a corner that one of the Towmax tires on the left had badly separated. I immediately detoured to Discount Tire and replaced the two on that side. They only had two in stock. When I arrived back home at the end of that weekend, one of the tires on the other side was losing air. The tread had come apart on it. I ordered two more Maxxis tires from Discount Tires online and installed those before my next trip. The two that hadn't "failed" had that classic bulge in the tread. They were just blowouts waiting to happen. I felt fortunate to have caught the two that I did when I did.

I really wanted to put LT tires on my camper, but based on the weight of the trailer and the difference in the load rating between ST and LT of the same size, I was afraid to do so. I bought the Maxxis based on the feedback I received here and on other sites. I'm hoping they'll prove to be better tires than the Towmax tires were.
Just figured out this morning that I have about 4000 miles on my Towmax, so should probably consider myself lucky so far. Best that I make the switch before this next trip. Thanks
Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
It going to be be tough to prove the tires were not under or over inflated or that the 5er was not overloaded (especially since there were two blow outs). So, I'm guessing that if you get any remuneration, you will be fortunate.
I agree with you it would be hard to prove the trailer was not over weight or the tires were not inflated properly. But the burden of proof should be on the tire manufacturer otherwise no ones tire warranty would be valid. The other two tires I had were also showing signs of failure. The easiest way to see this is the tires will no longer be flat across the tread. They start to crown.
I bought Goodyear Marathon tires as they were the only tire I recognized that was available in a fifty mile radius. If I had the opportunity I would have tried Maxxis. I could only find 2 Maxxis tires in my size in Las Vegas. I hope the goodyear tires hold up a while.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
I agree with you it would be hard to prove the trailer was not over weight or the tires were not inflated properly. But the burden of proof should be on the tire manufacturer otherwise no ones tire warranty would be valid. The other two tires I had were also showing signs of failure. The easiest way to see this is the tires will no longer be flat across the tread. They start to crown.
I bought Goodyear Marathon tires as they were the only tire I recognized that was available in a fifty mile radius. If I had the opportunity I would have tried Maxxis. I could only find 2 Maxxis tires in my size in Las Vegas. I hope the goodyear tires hold up a while.
You would think with the reputation that the tires have that they would not question much, but of course always easier to throw the blame. I know blowouts are not usually easy to deal with, as they can do a bit of damage, but if no one gets hurt, that is already a good outcome. I had a blowout years ago on a Class C on way back from Ohio. Sounded like a shotgun went off. Wasted half a day trying to get a tire put on. At that point just wanted to get back on the road for our next stop over and didn't look at much. At the campsite, I opened a closet door to get something and looked down at the gravel on the pad below. The tire blew out the floor of the closet.

Good luck to you, let us know how you make out.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #12

I am not over excited about the towmax tires that came on my 2014 WHawk but so far they have given me about 11,000 miles without any issues. Just got back from a 4k trip to Texas and the only thing I noticed when I inspected the tires is the R front axle is showing considerable wear on the outside of the tread similar to what I have experienced before on another trailer and as I understand its due to the wear on the front axle tires from tight turns. The left side is not showing any excessive wear.

My ?? is about the Towmax brand in general as posters are generally badmouthing them and advising us to replace them with a better brand asap. Jayco and other brands sell hundreds of thousands of RVs and from what I see tire issues are not a top tier complaint. I undersand and expect that Jayco will use as inexpensive components as possible while still turning out a quality desireable product. My TV worked fine until it didn't work after a year and Jayco replaced it [Gave me a $300 allowance and gave me the option of picking out what brand I wanted. I am not surprised that the tires they use are also some offbrand contract manufacturer. My immediate plan is to put the "new" spare on the ground and move the other front axle tire to the spare and only buy one new tire.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

I had two tires fail on a Forest River product within 15 months. RV manufacturers should put the best tires available on these units. It seems that they all cheap out on the most important safety feature of the vehicle. They know that the average RV'er will overload the thing. I would gladly pay more for safer tires made in the USA.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
How are the Maxxis holding up for you? ... Curious about your Maxxis, hopefully I made the right decision.
I, too, put Maxxis on my trailer about five years ago. I've put close to 20k miles on them without any issues. I think they're a great choice. They still look fine but they're getting close to the wear bars and are aging out so I'll be replacing them before our first trip of the season. It takes a few days to get them from Discount but worth the wait.

The trailer had Towmax on it when we bought it (used) and I kept them for a couple thousand miles the first season without problems until I put the Maxxis on before our first long trip. The spare was a brand new Towmax, never been on the ground, so I kept it as a spare. A couple years later I checked the spare before we left on a trip and found the tread separating...on a basically brand new tire! No more Towmax for me.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
I, too, put Maxxis on my trailer about five years ago. I've put close to 20k miles on them without any issues. I think they're a great choice. They still look fine but they're getting close to the wear bars and are aging out so I'll be replacing them before our first trip of the season. It takes a few days to get them from Discount but worth the wait.

The trailer had Towmax on it when we bought it (used) and I kept them for a couple thousand miles the first season without problems until I put the Maxxis on before our first long trip. The spare was a brand new Towmax, never been on the ground, so I kept it as a spare. A couple years later I checked the spare before we left on a trip and found the tread separating...on a basically brand new tire! No more Towmax for me.
If you sent it in they would tell you it was overloaded! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #16

There has been at least one towmax tire recall...

| Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #17

I am in the Maxxis fan club myself. Today I removed all the tires and did a thorough inspection and rotation. After about 5000 miles since last September, they look great.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I am not over excited about the towmax tires that came on my 2014 WHawk but so far they have given me about 11,000 miles without any issues. Just got back from a 4k trip to Texas and the only thing I noticed when I inspected the tires is the R front axle is showing considerable wear on the outside of the tread similar to what I have experienced before on another trailer and as I understand its due to the wear on the front axle tires from tight turns. The left side is not showing any excessive wear.

My ?? is about the Towmax brand in general as posters are generally badmouthing them and advising us to replace them with a better brand asap. Jayco and other brands sell hundreds of thousands of RVs and from what I see tire issues are not a top tier complaint. I undersand and expect that Jayco will use as inexpensive components as possible while still turning out a quality desireable product. My TV worked fine until it didn't work after a year and Jayco replaced it [Gave me a $300 allowance and gave me the option of picking out what brand I wanted. I am not surprised that the tires they use are also some offbrand contract manufacturer. My immediate plan is to put the "new" spare on the ground and move the other front axle tire to the spare and only buy one new tire.
I left my Towmax tires on the trailer because I also thought along the lines that with all the Towmax tires on the road we may read about only a few had bad tires. Maybe it is not such a big problem as I thought. I evidently thought wrong. Maybe the lighter weight RV's may not have as much of a problem with Towmax as the heavier rigs. The damage to the trailer along with the inconvenience of a breakdown on the road is not worth the gamble. Hindsight is easy.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #19

I have towmax with 10K+ miles. Couple of them I noticed late last summer where showing signs of dry rot??, sidewalls where cracking. I decided I'll replace them when the htt comes out of winter storage. Still have not decided with what.

I too have one tire with excessive wear, it did not start wearing until we moved, and we now have a difficult back in approach if the neighbors are parked in the street, which they normally are. Lots of tire scrub.

As for tire replacement. We had an older tv, we put brand new LTs on. Went out west, while towing the PU. Three of the new tires grow side wall bulges and blow out, before the blowout as the budge grow, it sounded like a helicopter was following us. When the third tire went the fourth tire was removed too. It was strapped to the PU bumper for the ride home. Took a little work, but the manufacturer covered the replacement costs.

Big issue with the OP, will be towmax will prorated the tire due to its age.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #20

My Jayfeather came with Goodyear Marathons. My new to us Jayflight has the Towmax tires. Since these tires are 4 years old and the camper has been sitting at the dealer for a year, one of the first things I am doing is replacing them with a set of Maxxis. The tire place tried to sell me load master or something like that....I'm like nope, Maxxis or I am going somewhere else. She ordered them, will be here next week just in time for me to take delivery of our new camper.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote