Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Make sure you're also calculating the tax savings that can be realized off the trade in.

IE - If the dealer gives you 32,500 for trade... that comes off the taxable price of the new unit. At a 6% sales tax rate... that's an additional 1,950 in savings. Thus, you'd need to sell it privately for at least 34,450 to break even.

Add in personal time invested to show it to people, etc... it's almost a better deal to trade it in.
Not everywhere, in California tax is calculated on the purchase price regardless of any trade in. Additionally the buyer of the used camper, either private party or though a dealership, will pay sales tax on that unit when they go to register it.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #12

Whats the best way to sell 5th wheel fast?

Another reason CA sucks... though IL (where I'm at) isn't much better.

I agree the buyer pays tax... but the buyer isn't a concern here. Trying to maximize the seller's money in this case.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Make sure you're also calculating the tax savings that can be realized off the trade in.

IE - If the dealer gives you 32,500 for trade... that comes off the taxable price of the new unit. At a 6% sales tax rate... that's an additional 1,950 in savings. Thus, you'd need to sell it privately for at least 34,450 to break even.

Add in personal time invested to show it to people, etc... it's almost a better deal to trade it in.
Here in South Carolina, there is a maximum sales tax of $300 that you pay on any purchase. Be it a Ferrari or a beater car. Then you pay annual property taxes on it after that. I don't know if that comes into play here or not...but anyways..........
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #14

Appreciate your opinion on my state. While you are shoveling driveways thinking about your winterized RV...I'll be at the 75* beach camping in mine.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

Gee, guess I got the best of both. $300 max sales tax, no snow to shovel, and the beach where my TT is kept! Just having a lil fun guys.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

One of my coworkers just sold his 5er on craigslist. It took a yearvand a half. He did the listing companies and such but it ultimately sold on craigslist. 2years ago i sold our trailer also on craigslist. I priced it what i wanted to get, but every 48 hours or so you can relist it to put it back on top of the list. When i relisted it i would drop the price $500. It got to within 1000 dollars of my lowest acceptable price and i got the call. I told her i really needed to sell it because i had a new one on order. They came out and bought it. My trailer was a nine year old unit and my coworkers was a new unit he only used for 8 weekends. I do not know if mine sold fast because it was older and cheaper or what. I do not know if my coworkers took so long because it was a new one or the economy or what. I do know he was not happy with wasting money to the other companies that promise they have buyers waiting to buy. They do not have buyers waiting. They just list on the sites you have mentioned already.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #17

In Missouri I'll get the trade value taken off the top end of the selling price of the new unit. However, I'm still several thousand ahead if I can get it sold for enough to pay the active loan on it off, and just pay the full sales tax on my new unit.
Think the only way you can get even close to NADA value on campers these days is if you buy directly from a local dealer, then turn around shortly thereafter and trade it back to them. Wouldn't look good for a dealer to sell a $70,000.00 camper today and tell you it's only worth $35,000.00 a year later.
It cracks me up how all of these sales marketing firms has gobs of buyers just waiting for them to list campers just like what I'm selling, but not a single 1 is willing to take my deal which is, "List and sell my camper before August 10 and I'll not only pay your broker fee, but I'll pay double your asking price." Even the places that sell 70% of their listings within 15 days.

Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote