Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

What's Up with my Roof?

See the pics, the right side of my 2018 377 RLBH roof appears to be 'sagging' causing the screws/nails/staples to be pressing up against the roof covering (EVM or TPL?)? The other picture is of the left side which looks 'normal' to me. I'm very concerned that there's a big issue lurking under the roof covering. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

I don't see an signed of water getting in anywhere...yet.

Rig is stored indoors unless being used and roof is maintained annually. We have 18k miles of travel with over 100 nights in the camper. This is something that I noticed this year. It was NOT like that when the rig was new. Apprecaite the thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
20200904_172904.jpg   20200904_172934.jpg  
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurugger View Post
See the pics, the right side of my 2018 377 RLBH roof appears to be 'sagging' causing the screws/nails/staples to be pressing up against the roof covering (EVM or TPL?)? The other picture is of the left side which looks 'normal' to me. I'm very concerned that there's a big issue lurking under the roof covering. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

I don't see an signed of water getting in anywhere...yet.

Rig is stored indoors unless being used and roof is maintained annually. We have 18k miles of travel with over 100 nights in the camper. This is something that I noticed this year. It was NOT like that when the rig was new. Apprecaite the thoughts!
Our 2019 36FBTS, purchased a year ago, has the same issue on both sides of the roof. I had SoftStart installed on my AC units last month and the tech pointed this out to me. No leaks yet but this is very clearly a condition that could cause a puncture/tear in the roof material.
norshoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

I would go over every inch of caulk and edges with my eyes and trying to pry up good looking caulk with my fingernails to see if you have some that is loose. It could be laying flat but letting in moisture. Any evidence of water incursion in the ceiling or walls? Don't forget the bolts and seal around the roof AC.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would go over every inch of caulk and edges with my eyes and trying to pry up good looking caulk with my fingernails to see if you have some that is loose. It could be laying flat but letting in moisture. Any evidence of water incursion in the ceiling or walls? Don't forget the bolts and seal around the roof AC.
Fair point, I will have to take a look. No indicators on the side or inside or water. No delam or anything, no stains anywhere.

Its almost like the roof truss or sheeting is subsiding below thee corner? Thats causing the nails or staples to press up against the roof material?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norshoco View Post
Our 2019 36FBTS, purchased a year ago, has the same issue on both sides of the roof. I had SoftStart installed on my AC units last month and the tech pointed this out to me. No leaks yet but this is very clearly a condition that could cause a puncture/tear in the roof material.
I guess its difficult to tell if its getting worse yet or staying the same?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Like in the picture posted at the beginning, it seems the staples are backing out and poking up into the roof fabric. I will have to check later to see if it getting worse. Staples do not seem to be the best fastener option for a vehicle like this that is subjected to bouncing and twisting in travel.
norshoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #7

Totally agree and when I run my hand over them they appear to feel like staples. Like rectangular versus circular. Its just so odd that they wouldn't use the same fastening mechanism on both sides....
Old 09-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norshoco View Post
Like in the picture posted at the beginning, it seems the staples are backing out and poking up into the roof fabric. I will have to check later to see if it getting worse. Staples do not seem to be the best fastener option for a vehicle like this that is subjected to bouncing and twisting in travel.
I had the same issue with my roof. Took it back to the dealer and Jayco approved for them to spray a new flex armour roof on at no cost to me. Great lifetime roof if anyone needs a replacement. (I was under warranty)
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #9

Mine looks similar. Wasn’t like that when I bought it.

Why is your roof white??
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
I had the same issue with my roof. Took it back to the dealer and Jayco approved for them to spray a new flex armour roof on at no cost to me. Great lifetime roof if anyone needs a replacement. (I was under warranty)

2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

Had a similar issue with my 2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS. Staples were pushing up against the roof material on both sides of the trailer. Since it was still under warranty I sent pictures to the service rep at Jayco that I had worked with previously on the crack issue. As a result the trailer went back to the factory for service. The fix was to loosen the roof material along both sides and roll it back past the plastic radius material the entire length of trailer. They removed all of the staples and replaced them with screws. The screws were covered with tape and the roof material was re-fastened and resealed. That was last October. So far, so good.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Mine looks similar. Wasn’t like that when I bought it.

Why is your roof white??
I just assumed all the 2018 NPs were like that? That's what came from the factory. I just touch up the dicor in spots and clean and treat as recommended.

What color is yours?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #13

Mine’s beige...I haven’t seen a white NorthPoint until now with the 2021’s

I have a dealer down the street from me, so I’m there a lot, and I always drive by it. They have been beige since 2016.

By the way, you have the cleanest roof I’ve seen !
Attached Thumbnails
260DDA19-F952-4410-A3D1-D08CA0E1D833.jpg  
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
They also painted the front cap that was starting to fade.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Mine’s beige...I haven’t seen a white NorthPoint until now with the 2021’s

I have a dealer down the street from me, so I’m there a lot, and I always drive by it. They have been beige since 2016.

By the way, you have the cleanest roof I’ve seen !
Yeah, maybe it's the way the light is shining on it in the picture that makes it look lighter than it is?

Thanks for the clean roof compliment. We certainly use the camper a lot but also try to maintain and then store indoors when not in use.