Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing Replacement on Dexter Axles

I have a 2013 23.5 RBS fifth wheel with Dexter axles. I pulled the hubs off to look at the brakes today, breaks looked good. The bearings looked a little drier then I thought they should. Only pulled for about 3800 miles since we bought it new. I want to replace the bearings and seals in the near future, so I backed the outer bearings and tried to get as much grease as I would in the rear bearings. I have a short trip next weekend, so I didn’t want to get is all pulled apart before the trip.
Should I continue with the Dexter bearings and seals or is there something better. I need to get a seal pulled and installed before I tackle the job. The numbers on the outer bearings are difficult to read and don’t seem to match up with Dexter’s offerings. Also, are the inner and outer bearings the same and if not, how do I determine the part number?
Max Tow Package 1895 lb Payload Capacity
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It doesn't need much grease. Inner and outer bearings are different. Does the removed bearing looks like burned or has rough spots on it, if not you don't have to replace.
Bearings will go for over 100K miles if well taken care off. Do you have the EZ-lube axles? Replace the seal you have taken off.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

To get part numbers for your seals and bearings, you can call Dexter axle at (574) 295-7888 or e-mail them at information@dexteraxle.com; have the axle part number (which is on a tag on your axles) ready when you call them. There is a Dexter Complete Service Manual hosted on this site at https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/d...6a6e5c552c34b3 which is available for download; among other things, the manual explains clearly where to find your axle number tags. With the Dexter numbers, you can cross-reference to many other manufacturer's bearings. My own opinion is that Dexter bearings are fine, they just need to be clean and greased like all such bearings.

Why are you considering buying new bearings? Are the old ones pitted or scored or blue in color or burnt? If not, they may just need to be cleaned and re-packed with grease.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

The outer bearings don't appear burned, but they do seem very are loose. I did not remove the seal and the inner bearings to see what they look like. However, the original grease was very dark in color. I cleaned and repacked the outer bearings. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic, as this as one of the recommended greases on Dexter's maintenance pdf file.

I had previously contacted Dexter on another matter and have an email contact there and also had photos of my axle tags. Also, I could not get the link provided by RVhiker to work and got a message indicating the security token was invalid. Is the re a name and date for the thread that contained the document?
Old 10-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

As cheap as they are to replace I would get rid of the cheap china bearings Dexter uses. I junked the Dexter bearings a few months after TT purchase and bought Timkins which are Made in USA, now I don't have to worry about them going bad, just have to take apart and repack once a season. I would never use the EZ lube option, I like to see what I am doing and not blindly adding grease.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

If the bearings were just too loose, that probably just means they need to be adjusted properly. But better a bit too loose than a bit too tight. Instructions for adjusting the bearings are in the manual whose link didn't work for you.

Sorry the link did not work for you - maybe you weren't signed in? You can navigate directly to that manual. Just click "Manuals" at the top of the screen in the page wide blue banner, then "Miscellaneous", then "Dexter Complete Service Manual 600 -8000 lbs.", and then "Download".
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Not everything out Asia is junk! As mentioned; When there's some play, all you have to do is adjust the front nut. If you are familiar with the mechanics of adjusting wheel bearings, you'll know. If not let someone else do it for you.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Not everything out Asia is junk! .
If you want to use them thats your choice. For a few extra bucks I will take MADE in USA any day.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Have over 50k miles on our 2014 Octane. Replaced brakes last spring (puppy had chewed wiring off the back plate). While apart cleaned and packed bearings, they still look like new. Other than that, I use the EZ lube once a year.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
As cheap as they are to replace I would get rid of the cheap china bearings Dexter uses. I junked the Dexter bearings a few months after TT purchase and bought Timkins which are Made in USA, now I don't have to worry about them going bad, just have to take apart and repack once a season. I would never use the EZ lube option, I like to see what I am doing and not blindly adding grease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Not everything out Asia is junk! As mentioned; When there's some play, all you have to do is adjust the front nut. If you are familiar with the mechanics of adjusting wheel bearings, you'll know. If not let someone else do it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If you want to use them thats your choice. For a few extra bucks I will take MADE in USA any day.
I agree 100% with Sundancer and a bit with Aljo - I replaced my bearings with Timkens within 500 miles of bringing my trailer home from initial purchase.

There are some things I am willing to take chances on with imports but when it comes to automotive / trailer parts but, Suspension, Bearings, and Brakes are not among them.

I found 1 bearing almost completely dry (from the factory) one so tight I could barely spin the tire, one leaking rear seal and one acceptable. I know this had nothing to do with the imported bearings but had I not pulled wheels to check I would never have found the issues.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #11

All the information is part of the Hub. On the rear middle axle should be a ID sticker. Call Lippert and give them your numbers, they will tell you your Hun number then you can go from there. I use only Timken bearings and CR seals. I used to be a mechanic on semi trailers and that is what I used.
Good luck.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

I just received my new bearings, races, all Timken. Seals, I had to go with Dexter (hopefully not a mistake) Now to find a dry weekend to install them. I was going to use Mobil 1 Synthetic grease when the time comes.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
I just received my new bearings, races, all Timken. Seals, I had to go with Dexter (hopefully not a mistake) Now to find a dry weekend to install them. I was going to use Mobil 1 Synthetic grease when the time comes.
I also use the Mobil 1, meets the required specs, I repack at the end of each season and this grease always holds up great and looks like new but I still clean and repack