Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Wheels Off the Ground

I always level the Pinnacle when I park it in its garage so I can open the slides. Today I noticed one of the wheels on the forward axle is off the concrete enough that I can spin it. The garage floor is not level as it used to be just a parking pad and has a slight pitch so water could run off. I retracted the slides and leveled again but same results. Can this cause any harm?

A little early to ask but is it better to leave it leveled or not leveled during its winter rest? I would leave the slides closed for the most part. The Pinnacle has the new Equalizer hydraulic jack system that started with the 2020 models. I'm thinking the worse thing that could happen is maybe a little bleed down.

Last, I was told by a Jayco rep to never open the slides without leveling first. When we were shopping almost all the fifth wheels we looked at, including the Jayco models, were not leveled and had their slides out. I can see having the frame supported before opening a slide is probably a good thing.
I can also see some times on the road when leveling is not possible but a slide needs to be opened. Wondering what others do.

We are still getting the feel for this thing so I appreciate the advice.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

I'd use a 2x10 under that wheel.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I'd use a 2x10 under that wheel.
X2......., All (4) tires should be in contact with a solid surface.

A couple years ago my BIL went through the auto leveling process with his Pinnacle while setting up on an un-level asphalt pad at a State Park....., the completed leveling resulted in both tires on one side were about 1" off the ground.

I brought the tire condition to his attention so he retracted the leveling system and re-hitched the TV to the FW with the intent to position some boards under the tires. There was an issue when he attempted to raise the landing because the landing gear was 'bound'......, the FW position had shifted slightly against the extended landing gear when the (2) tires came off the ground.

Landing gear has never been the same since.., on occasion the landing gear will hang-up requiring a little hammer tap to free.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:35 AM   #4

drive up on blocks of wood to get as leve las possible before you do anything. side to side first.Then front to back. THEN deploy your levelers before you open and slide. ALways leave the wheels on the ground.

If just stopping for a short time, Just drive around to get as level as possible. Then you can open the slides.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

My wheels will be off the ground most of the time. No issue. Your jacks are rated for the entire unit. Parked at home leveled, I have 4 or more inches on the road side tires. Setting up in state parks and fields, I rarely have all 4 tires on the ground due it being so unlevel. I didn't pay money to level the trailer before I level the trailer. Look at motor homes, they usually have wheels in the air. To each their own I guess. I sure won't prelevel unless it's so far off level the system can't do it. That's only happens once. Had to prelevel 10 inches on the low side. That didn't even get it level, the jacks finished it up. I carry a crap load of those yellow Lego blocks to keep the jacks from stroking out.

My unit is kept level when not in use and during winter storage.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote