Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh355mbqs View Post
Hi rkymntsno,

We have a 355 also. I don't think you want to wait until the black water is backed up to the toilet. Since this is a 5th wheel and the bathroom is on the higher floor level, there is a drain pipe from the toilet to the tank. As someone pointed out earlier, I wouldn't trust the seal between the pipe and the tank. I can't remember for sure, but I think there was an offset in the pipe too (a couple of 45 elbows) so I don't think you can use a flashlight to see in the tank. If I have a full hookup, I just dump it whenever I think it needs it and then add more water chemicals. I kinda go by the sensors, but don't trust them too much.
Good point, I've never owned (or worked on) one that didn't sit directly over the tank. Short, straight shot right down. So it's easy for me to just look down and see the level. Just have to make sure I don't have the fan running when I do it... Ask me how I know...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I know, us too. We tried RV Digest It. It sucks. Started stinking to high heaven after three days. I think I'm gonna switch to Rid X drop ins. Right now we're using TST Citrus drop ins and they seem to be working ok. So after four days, had to dump black with the smell. A 50 gallon black tank doesn't seem right. Gotta find some chemicals that'll work.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My go to has always just been those blue dropins, but they don't seem to do anything anymore.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #23

How are you guys storing your "drop-ins"? I had a pack of them because I thought they would be easier to use. I got to use them exactly twice. The third time I opened the pouch and the coating on all the pods had disintegrated, so I just had a pouch full of powder.

I store my toilet chems in the cabinet under my sink. And it gets SUPER hot when my rig is in storage. I attribute the condition of my pods to that heat...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #24
Site Team

Mine are stored under the sink also. We don't get anywhere near has hot as you do in Texas though.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
How are you guys storing your "drop-ins"? I had a pack of them because I thought they would be easier to use. I got to use them exactly twice. The third time I opened the pouch and the coating on all the pods had disintegrated, so I just had a pouch full of powder.

I store my toilet chems in the cabinet under my sink. And it gets SUPER hot when my rig is in storage. I attribute the condition of my pods to that heat...
I don't think the heat is the culprit. We're in San Antonio and it's gonna be 98 when we get back tomorrow. I too store them under the sink in t he cabinet. I used to use the blue pods in the pouch and for two years never had a problem with them. Now I use the TST orange citrus ones in their own tub. Still no problem with them storing there. I will continue to use those cuz they tend to smell better after time. But I've been wanting to use the Rid X drop ins to try out. It's funny, when I called the Rv Digest It customer service, he asked me how the smell was and I told him it was fine. I had just a few questions for him. That afternoon is when the smell hit us so they've obviously had problems with it. It may break down the solids well but if you can't get past the smell, doesn't count. Rid X drop ins is touting keeping the smell tolerable the entire time til dumping. If it can break up the solids and smell ok, I'm gonna give them a shot.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #26

We dump the black on Sundays and Thursdays.

Our tank is not directly below the toilet so a flashlight is not useful, but we can hear the rising pitch of the draining water as the tank fills and makes less of a hollow sound. After draining the black, we will close and run the rinse for 5 minutes to fill, then dump again and repeat. Then its running clear with no paper or solids. Then of course the grays and a blue meanie from Walmart. Never a problem nor bad smell.

For some reason Jayco manual says not to keep the rinse hose connected between uses but we cannot figure why, so it stays until we move.

We do not bother with the gauges any more. We open the grays during running laundry in the washer but otherwise closed.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I this heat, I end up dumping long before we have to just because of the smell. I really need to revisit our chemical selections or something, but this year has been really bad.
We live in ours full time and we do the same. At least we did until we got some advice that worked. A fellow camper told us about a solution to the smell issue that also helps the tank drain better. Since we tried it we have had no more problems with smell and dumping takes a lot less time.

Here it is: Calgon, Borax and Dawn Dish Soap. Using the cap for the Calgon put in one cap each of Calgon and Dawn and 2 of the Borax. This combo helps break down the waste and keep the tank clean. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the RV products. We now dump once a week here in Southeast Texas even in the heat of summer and no smell problems.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
I know when it's time to dump the gray tank when the wife hollers from the shower :-)
I leave the grey tank open when I'm stationary. Other than that with dishes, showers, etc I would need to dump it every couple of days. Occasionally when I travel I put water in the tank and the same mix I use for the black tank. As I go down the road it sloshes around and cleans the tank.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #29

Our grey tank fills up much faster so when it's ready to dump we dump the black tank then the grey. The only time we fill the black tank us when we clean it.. Sensors are useless so our grey tank indicator is also the shower won't drain...
loriemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #30

Flush often!

Don’t trust the lights on the panel, and don’t trust the labels on the outside, that say which tank is which, mine have been mislabeled twice. I recommend getting a clear elbow and attach to all the drains. Flush ALL tanks as often as you can and DO NOT trust that floor seal.
Tony from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #31

Do you have sensor ?
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #32

Our sensors are useless but we've learned to sense when to dump. Between the wife and I we can easily go a week or more on a 25 gallon black tank. We try to use as much water as possible before dumping so the tanks, especially the black tank, are full.

We keep 1/3 cup Dawn, 2/3 cup Calgon in cup containers. After dumping we pour most of it in the black tank and some in grey then rinse in grey. Until we run out of it we also put a scoop of Happy Camper and two gallons of water in the black tank. Seems to work well for both keeping things liquid and odor free.

We use the black tank as much as possible. We wash dishes and clean vegetables and other foods in a basin that fits just right in the sink. That residue goes in the black tank which, in our little rig, is two steps away. We use our grey tank for plain water, hand washing, and shower water. That way the grey tank is less prone to vegetable smell and has relatively clean water for rinsing the dump hose after flushing the black tank.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Our sensors are useless but we've learned to sense when to dump. Between the wife and I we can easily go a week or more on a 25 gallon black tank. We try to use as much water as possible before dumping so the tanks, especially the black tank, are full.

We keep 1/3 cup Dawn, 2/3 cup Calgon in cup containers. After dumping we pour most of it in the black tank and some in grey then rinse in grey. Until we run out of it we also put a scoop of Happy Camper and two gallons of water in the black tank. Seems to work well for both keeping things liquid and odor free.

We use the black tank as much as possible. We wash dishes and clean vegetables and other foods in a basin that fits just right in the sink. That residue goes in the black tank which, in our little rig, is two steps away. We use our grey tank for plain water, hand washing, and shower water. That way the grey tank is less prone to vegetable smell and has relatively clean water for rinsing the dump hose after flushing the black tank.
I haven't had good luck with Happy Camper. I've used it per the instructions, in both tanks, and my tanks smell worse than ever. I'm not sure how well it breaks down solids, but since it stinks, I don't really care. I can flush solids with enough water. I'm thinking of going back to the orange stuff. Or even back to my "sewer juice" recipe (Calgon, pine sol, etc...)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #34

Quote:
I haven't had good luck with Happy Camper. I've used it per the instructions, in both tanks, and my tanks smell worse than ever. I'm not sure how well it breaks down solids, but since it stinks, I don't really care. I can flush solids with enough water. I'm thinking of going back to the orange stuff. Or even back to my "sewer juice" recipe (Calgon, pine sol, etc...)
I've gone back to the orange stuff and it works for me. Don't even think I'm gonna try Rid-X at this point.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #35

Black tank full

It is full when you flush and it creates a bubble back up to bowl.
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post

Try adding Borax to the Calgon and Dawn. It breaks down the solids really well. I rarely see any clumps unless they are recent dumps. The tank drains fast and doesn't need near as much flushing to get clear water.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Try adding Borax to the Calgon and Dawn. It breaks down the solids really well. I rarely see any clumps unless they are recent dumps. The tank drains fast and doesn't need near as much flushing to get clear water.
What's your preferred ratio of Borax/Calgon/Dawn?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #38

Same here with Happy Camper, Calgon and Dawn. Works very well. No smell, everything is broken down into a brown liquid and very easy to rinse.
A side benefit is by getting a good rinse now, our gauges are closer to being accurate.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I've gone back to the orange stuff and it works for me. Don't even think I'm gonna try Rid-X at this point.
What is the actual trade name for "orange stuff"?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
What is the actual trade name for "orange stuff"?

Tang? [emoji23][emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote