Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post
Last night I was able to obtain...

Blue Dawn, Calgon Water Softener, and Borax at the big-box store.



I'll follow the recipe, and add about 10 gallons of water to the 32 gallon tank. That should allow for a good bit of "sloshing around" when we leave with the Eagle next week for a camping trip.



Hopefully this will clear the sensors a bit so we can get some useful info from them again. You would think they would at least last 2 years.



It's also been suggested to me to add 10 pounds of ice to the tank just before we pull out. The explanation being that the ice will help to clear the sensors. Has anyone else tried that?



BTW, we do use RV rated Scott single-ply TP...and as little of it as possible. The package says it's "Septic Safe" and "Clog Free", and "Breaks up 8x faster than Charmin".



Dave O.
Good luck. It works for us.

As for TP we use the regular 2 ply household stuff that we buy at the grocery store. Much cheaper than the RV stuff and much nicer to use. We dump once a week and all I see are little scraps of it. I buy the "soft" kind not the "strong" one.

I've heard people say the ice works but I've not tried it. I've never had sensors that are reliable so I never check mine to see if they work or not.
__________________

__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Camper_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 5,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post
Last night I was able to obtain...
Blue Dawn, Calgon Water Softener, and Borax at the big-box store.

I'll follow the recipe, and add about 10 gallons of water to the 32 gallon tank. That should allow for a good bit of "sloshing around" when we leave with the Eagle next week for a camping trip.

Hopefully this will clear the sensors a bit so we can get some useful info from them again. You would think they would at least last 2 years.

It's also been suggested to me to add 10 pounds of ice to the tank just before we pull out. The explanation being that the ice will help to clear the sensors. Has anyone else tried that?

BTW, we do use RV rated Scott single-ply TP...and as little of it as possible. The package says it's "Septic Safe" and "Clog Free", and "Breaks up 8x faster than Charmin".

Dave O.
I've never tried ice in my tanks. Primarily because of this video by "The Fit RV" on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

And also because I would MUCH rather put ice in my drink than down the toilet! LOL!

IIRC, he tested various methods and found the most effective to be filling the tank with as much water as possible for a good strong dump. Next in line was tank sprayers. Ice didn't seem to work all that well.

According to his unscientific tests anyway...
__________________

__________________

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 157
I have several issues with this "test". If I were to redo it first of all I would put about 1/2 a tank of water with some kind of tank chemical like it would be in the real world and allow it to work for a few hours. Then I would add the ice to the tank and drive around. That should do a couple things. The contents should be in a slurry and not a clump on the bottom. It would allow the solution to splash around the whole tank and not just the bottom. Then dump the tank. Now, would the ice do anything useful? Doubtful but these conditions should give it a better chance.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #84
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Cape Girardeau
Posts: 60
Agreed...
The test would have been much more useful if the tank was about half full of water first. Seems like much more sloshing around would have been happening. You can't just put ice in there and expect good results.

After all, our goal (at the moment at least) is to clean some stuff off the sensors, which I'd assume are on the sides of the tank.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Adobe Village RV Park, Yuma
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post
Agreed...The test would have been much more useful if the tank was about half full of water first. Seems like much more sloshing around would have been happening. You can't just put ice in there and expect good results.After all, our goal (at the moment at least) is to clean some stuff off the sensors, which I'd assume are on the sides of the tank.
Dave O.
You would think that the tank flush/sprayer would be designed to spray on the sensors in an effort to clean them?
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #86
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
You would think that the tank flush/sprayer would be designed to spray on the sensors in an effort to clean them?
Nope, the tank is shallow and wide. The sprayer often does not reach all areas.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
Jim Smyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central Florida & S Central Wisconsin
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post


For some reason Jayco manual says not to keep the rinse hose connected between uses but we cannot figure why, so it stays until we move.



Angus

I can tell you exactly why.............


I have a guy that parks next to me in our community storage yard. He had a 30' Puma 5th wheel. Its went missing for a few months as me and my wife came and went camping. When I seen him I asked if he sold it. He told me no that it was in the shop and then explained why.


He was at a Campground where the hose spigots were all clumped next to each other like 4 units worth. He did exactly like what your saying and put a Y slitter on one hose connector and connected 2 hoses to his unit. One for the water in and one for the black tank flush.


Him and his wife went out for the day and came back 4 hours later. Only to find out someone accidentally turned his Y spliter black tank flush to the on position. Well you guessed it, it filled up his tank, then overflowed into the camper and even came out the roof vent...............for hours!


His whole interior was scrapped and the underbelly insulation all had to come out. Major damage from someone who was very sorry but still caused the problem.



Lesson learned. It takes a few minutes to connect another hose up for the black tank flush when your ready to flush. Also when flushing I do nothing else and when the wife comes by asking stupid questions I ask her to leave until I'm done. I dont need any bigger messes to clean up.
__________________
2018 Ford F350 6.7
2017 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Adobe Village RV Park, Yuma
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I can tell you exactly why.............at a Campground where the hose spigots were all clumped next to each other like 4 units worth. He did exactly like what your saying and put a Y slitter on one hose connector and connected 2 hoses to his unit. One for the water in and one for the black tank flush.Him and his wife went out for the day and came back 4 hours later. Only to find out someone accidentally turned his Y spliter black tank flush to the on position. Well you guessed it, it filled up his tank, then overflowed into the camper and even came out the roof vent...............for hours!His whole interior was scrapped and the underbelly insulation all had to come out. Major damage from someone who was very sorry but still caused the problem.
Holy crap!!!
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
GABob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Tang?
That’s for outer space... this is inner space
__________________
2019 Entegra Odyssey 31L
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Adobe Village RV Park, Yuma
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Nope, the tank is shallow and wide. The sprayer often does not reach all areas.
Have you ever seen what the flush mechanism looks like inside of the tank?
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
GABob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 136
My sprayer in the black tank protrudes about a third of the way under the toilet drain tube. This has caused a “traffic backup” several times. Thanks goes to my sister in law who gave my daughter some s’mores sticks, which we now refer to as the S stick... very useful in dealing with a logjam. Question: is it supposed to be located so that it can be seen down the hole, or was this just another slap together oversight?
__________________
2019 Entegra Odyssey 31L
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #92
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Cape Girardeau
Posts: 60
In a well-designed system, you would certainly think yes, they sprayers would spray on the sensors. It sounds like they didn't care enough to design it that way. We had a 2007 Big Horn before this Eagle, and the black tank sensors were still pretty reliable when we sold it, after 10 years of use.

We do leave a hose connected to the black tank clean-out, but it has a secondary in-line valve at the TT hose connection...which is INSIDE of the locked cover on the side. That second valve is ALWAYS left turned off. Two valves must be turned on (besides the campground spigot, which would make 3) to allow water into our black tank. We always turn off the campground spigot when we leave the camper for the day too.

I've heard stories of kids thinking it was a "funny" joke/prank to open someones black-tank clean-out valve, and watch the flood. That's why there's a second valve inside of a locked cover!

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #93
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Have you ever seen what the flush mechanism looks like inside of the tank?
Your joking right? Seems like many are confusing the toilet tank and the black tank. Just wanted to make sure.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Your joking right? Seems like many are confusing the toilet tank and the black tank. Just wanted to make sure.
Then you better enlighten us. My trailer has only 1 tank associated with the toilet and it is the black tank.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Have you ever seen what the flush mechanism looks like inside of the tank?
I'm wonder this too??

Quote:
Nope, the tank is shallow and wide. The sprayer often does not reach all areas.
That's what I'm thinking. I used my tank sprayer for the first time yesterday, so I slid underneath to see where it actually attaches. The tank is definitely shallow and long, and my sprayer is hooked up at the end, under the toilet drop area. My guess is it's designed to spray right at the area of where a "pyramid" would form, to break it up. There's only one blue water line going to the tank. If it's a true, complete spray, it would require multiple spray heads.

I really doubt (based on the other inferior thinks Jayco engineers do) it's a complete tank sprayer, hitting most areas of the tank. My guess (and I'm going to confirm with my access camera), it's just sprays water on the "drop" area and produces some additional water flow to send the stuff down to the drain fitting.
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #96
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Then you better enlighten us. My trailer has only 1 tank associated with the toilet and it is the black tank.
Many manufacturers made a run of what's known as FEMA trailers that were not intended for recreational use. They had a residential toilet with it's own tank and trap and the plumbing went straight out with no internal holding tanks. They are used for temporary housing after natural disasters.

After the disaster, whats left of them were sold at auction and you see them around in parks. One way to ID them is the lack of many windows. Some park models are plumbed that way also.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Many manufacturers made a run of what's known as FEMA trailers that were not intended for recreational use. They had a residential toilet with it's own tank and trap and the plumbing went straight out with no internal holding tanks. They are used for temporary housing after natural disasters.

After the disaster, whats left of them were sold at auction and you see them around in parks. One way to ID them is the lack of many windows. Some park models are plumbed that way also.
I know FEMA trailers really well. This thread was about recreational trailers so I never considered those. The flush we were discussing is the internal black tank sprayers.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,583
So, I got my inspection camera out and took a look down that scary place to see what the built in spray nozzle looked like. This nozzle is right next to the area where the pyramid would form. All it looks like is a drilled out cap. 3 holes in the middle, and a bunch around the edges, which sprays the high end of the tank, near the toilet inlet.

I think there might be another one down in the middle of the top of the tank, it was hard to see, so I need to slide underneath the rig and see if there another water line to the top of the tank.

Anyway, this is what that nozzle looked like inside:
Attached Thumbnails
tank sprayer.jpg  
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Adobe Village RV Park, Yuma
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
So, I got my inspection camera out and took a look down that scary place to see what the built in spray nozzle looked like. This nozzle is right next to the area where the pyramid would form. All it looks like is a drilled out cap. 3 holes in the middle, and a bunch around the edges, which sprays the high end of the tank, near the toilet inlet.

I think there might be another one down in the middle of the top of the tank, it was hard to see, so I need to slide underneath the rig and see if there another water line to the top of the tank.

Anyway, this is what that nozzle looked like inside:
Looks like it would do a good job providing you have enough pressure.
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Merrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 104
Aahhh…..the elusive tank sprayer. Ive never seen one.
__________________

__________________
2017 Jay Feather 19XUD
2012 F-150 3.5L
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×