Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

When to address creaky floor

At what point is it worth having the dealer address the creaking floor? There is a horseshoe shaped area around the front end of my kitchen island that is terribly loud. You can even hear it outside. I’ve been hesitant to push the dealer to do anything, because like going after a rattle in a car I have a vision of things getting worse as they disassemble stuff. Is this is just part of having a longer fiver with only 4 leveling jacks?

Here’s a photo of the area in question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	55566
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #2

Squeaky floor

We have a 40’ with 6 levelers, looks to be in same area as yours. I took mine in 3 times to a dealer approved shop. They got it better but still a little squeaky. Was told the area above black holding tank had minimal access even with tank removed that prevented additional supports being added. Would have to go from top. It’s a crap shoot, I would try to get fixed but don’t expect 100% fix. Especially the way the RV industry is. Just poor resolutions on issues.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Leveling jacks have nothing to do with it. I'm guessing that most all RV' except the premium DP motorhomes will develope a creaky floor somewhere sometime somehow.
It's simply a by product of how cheap and fast they build these things.
On our revious 5er I had a bad creak in front of the stove. A place where we are always walking. After 5 years I'd had enough and tore the coroplast off from under neath to see if I could fix it. You need a strong stomach when you start tearing into the dark bowels of an RV. I found pi$$ poor construction of the sub floor. After adding more screws glue and blocking I fixed it. While under there I also found where they shot a flooring staple through the plywood and nicked a piece of 120V wire. Fixed that as well.
While everything may look nice and blingy on the inside, it's not that way when you start digging into the guts. Pull some drawers out, remove a few access panels and have a look around.
Nothings changed since the 70's.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #4

I’m sure you’re correct. I have no allusions as to what these things are under the surface. It’s a shame really.

I bring it in the dealer on the 2nd for a new set of back windows. I’ll have them address this or try to along with a couple other items I came across on our trip this weekend.

Like this....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	55574
Seal doesn’t meet the king pin.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

My 377 does it in the same place since new in cold weather. When the weather gets warm it moves to inside the front door.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

I had a bad squeak in the bathroom of our trailer. Turns out it was because I took down the wall in the basement to access the furnace and water heater. When I reinstalled the wall, I guess I didn’t install it back exactly right so the floor was not completely supported and rubbing on the top of the wall causing the squeaking. I repositioned the wall a bit and added a shim and squeak went away.

Maybe something like that is going on with yours? It would be worth a look to see what’s supporting the flooring under that area.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

We get a squeak in the same area. Actually two different ones.
Found the door latch in island was causing one. If I bump the rear leveller slightly it takes out the other one most times. I am thinking that one is frame flex causing a plywood seam to squeak. The one at the door I found was the actual steps squeaking. Added some more screws behind the cold air vents and that took that one out so far.
Its wood that gets cold damp and hot and dry. Its gonna squeak at times
Oh and good luck getting it warranty covered. I was told it is not a warranty item.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I took down the wall in the basement to access the furnace and water heater.
Tom, how difficult is it to remove that wall? Are there things attached to the back side that you need to be aware of? I would like to have access to that nest of wires and try to clean everything up under there, checking all the plumbing fittings, etc.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Tom, how difficult is it to remove that wall? Are there things attached to the back side that you need to be aware of? I would like to have access to that nest of wires and try to clean everything up under there, checking all the plumbing fittings, etc.

Not difficult at all Al. Just remove all the screws and it comes down easily. Nothing attached to the backside. Good luck trying to clean it up back there!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Squeaky Floor in Starcraft Soltice

I have a 2018 Soltice and the floor has started to squeak in the upper level in the bathroom and the bedroom. The floor does not yet have any softness in it, but I am worried about it happening. Does anyone know if they used 1/2 inch oriented strand board for the subflooring?
Old RVer is offline   Reply With Quote